Remmett Jansen Vanderbeek - Birth needs research

Started by Alex Moes on Thursday, October 2, 2014
Showing all 6 posts
10/2/2014 at 5:46 PM

The profile currently shows birth as 1629 in Jever [which technically is not in the Netherlands and was not at that time either], from his marriage in 1642 we can assume the location is correct but immediately the date is thrown into doubt.

There is no way a 13 yea old boy had emigrated to America and was getting married, also the profile for his father, Jan van der Beeck , shows death in 1620 a whole 9 years prior! There is a date listed for birth in text quoted in the About of 1619 which seems a lot more likely.

A second point of concern is that the father, Jan van der Beeck , is born and dies in Coevorden which is 100 miles south of Remmet's birth place, Jever.

WIth the two men's locations being 100 miles apart, no name for the wife/mother and no siblings how can we know that Jan van der Beeck is the "Jan" of Remmet's patronym?

10/2/2014 at 6:43 PM

Rem Jansen Van der Beek was the son of Jan Van der Beek. There are conflicts with the exact date and place of his birth. His birth can be summarized generally as having occurred sometime between 1617 - 1629, most likely in the Netherlands, although some researchers think he may have come from Westphalia, Germany. In 1642 he married Jannetje Rapalje, daughter of Joris Rapalje and Catalyntje Trico Rapalje. Rem was a blacksmith, and he lived in New Amsterdam from 1643-51 in Beverwyck (now known as Albany, NY) from 1655 to 1660 at the Waleboght, or Wallabout, in which place he owned several houses and lots. His sons were called Rem's sons, hence the name. The name surname has continued as Remsen. The Remsen Family are descendants of a family whose original name was Van der Beeck. Rem Jansen Vanderbeeck came to this country in the early 17th century. Following the custom of their culture and time, Vanderbeeck's children all took the name Remsen, which literally means "son of Rem". The Vanderbeeck lineage from this point on became known as the Remsen family. One of the earliest families in the Brooklyn area record. All agree that Rem immigrated to Albany, New York, though they are not sure if he came from Ievern, Westphalia or Drenthe, Netherlands. His occupation in Albany was as blacksmith and several of his children were born there. He sold his Albany residence and land in 1660 and moved with his wife Jannetje Jansen Rapalier to a plantation adjacent to his father-in-law in the Wallabout area in what became the City of Brooklyn. The city has honored the Remsen Family with a playground named after them that lies between Remsen Ave., Glenwood Rd., East 92nd Place, and Bay View Place.
From The New Netherlands Settlement Project
Jim

10/2/2014 at 7:15 PM

Hi Jim,

Nice to hear from a new voice.

This is a transcript of Rem and Jannet's marriage bann:
1642 11 Dec; Remmet Janszen, jm van Jeveren; Janneken Rapalje, jd van N. Nederlt

Which to my mind seems almost indisputable evidence that he was from Jever in what is now Germany not Coevorden (which is in the Netherlands province of Drenthe). There is no locality in Drenthe that i am aware of with a name similar to Jeveren.
Even just the mention of the idea that he may have been born as late as 1629 sounds a huge alarm bell in my mind that there may be a confusion between two different men, "our" Rem can't possibly have been anywhere near that young.

10/2/2014 at 7:18 PM

PS i've never actually been to Drenthe but my great grandfather was born there so i have done a lot of research about it back to 1100s.

10/3/2014 at 12:11 PM

I don't share the same conclusion that there must be two men. There are too many factors involved that can betray logic.
According to my readings, in the early 1600s, it was not rare for a marriage at 13 in Europe. Some kids were considered married at 9 but the marriage was not consummated until they reached puberty. It wasn't until the 1650s that England set a minimum age at 14 and that stayed for two centuries.
I also don't trust the record keeping. I have seen Genealogists use port of emigration as a birthplace; date of baptism as a birthdate; nicknames rather than formal names, etc. Ships records did not include all passengers. Many people could not write well or translate foreign names and places. My namesake immigrant ancestor had his last name spelled differently on the ship register; the pledge; and the records from his pastor. In fact, his pastor wrote several different variations of the last name for his children born and baptized in U.S (it was the same pastor each time).
I am not disagreeing with you about Remmet's place of birth nor birthdate. I just would not conclude that there was two different Rem's integrated into one with the information I currently know.
BUT I will root for you that he is one of your hometown boys! Perhaps your next vacation could be in Drenthe!
Jim
P.S. There is also speculation that the family of Rem were nobles or royalty.

10/3/2014 at 9:44 PM

I can't comment on early 1600s Europe but it sounds odd for New Netherlands, the early settlements were predominantly male so a girl marrying at 13 makes sense as the adult men would take whatever was available but it doesn't follow that the same would hold for a boy, why would any woman, or girl, marry a boy when there are so many available men to provide for her?

A link to nobility is always possible tho it seems people find a noble family with their name and then make a way to connect themselves to it.

Here on Geni i am shown as a descendant of the van Coevorden family, lords of Drenthe, so Rem could literally be one of mine!

The whole deal with different spellings is a pain but was explained to me once as a byproduct of a lack of centralized education and curriculum, everyone learnt the same things but in slightly different ways.

Drenthe's a bit far for a holiday, especially when i can't read the language, luckily they have very good online records.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion