Alpaïs de Paris (daughter of Louis I), Abbesse de St-Pierre de Reims - Birthdates of Alpais & Engeltrude

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Showing all 4 posts
9/30/2014 at 11:52 PM

A user has logged this query on Alpaïs, Abbess of St-Pierre & Reims
=I'm having difficulty with Alpais's birth date as being c.797, as a subsequent page has her daughter (Engeltrude of Paris) being born c.792.
Engeltrude of Paris?...
Can you please help clarify?=

Another manager responded: =i have a date of 765 to 770 for alpais. check more sources.=

My reply (so far) =Thanks for noticing that.
There is extensive discussion on Alpais' profile regarding the possible range for her birthdate, so the date we need to query more closely is Engeltrude's, I think. This date, from a very quick revisiting of the sources seems to me to be also only possible to conjecture.
I'll take a proper look later today.
All input will be welcome if anyone manages to take a closer look before me, & it is possible that we should put this into a Discussion so we can check back on why we made the decisions we did.=

10/1/2014 at 7:35 AM

hi Sharon :) on the link
http://gw.geneanet.org/pbruger?lang=fr;p=alpais;n=de+francie

born Née en 794 julien (julian calendar)

http://gw.geneanet.org/frebault?lang=fr;p=alpais;n=carolingien
here no date of birth but another date for death

i use alot of geneanet

10/2/2014 at 4:19 AM

Thanks Martin. We need to go down the road of what the closest primary sources do or do not tell us; but until we have time to research those & connect them to the theories about where her mother fits in, I've chosen to use the profile info that places her birth at c 810. Not yet perfect - as it makes it possible that Aplais was a mother at 13 years old - but a little closer to the realm of possibility.
Will come back here when I have more time to do the BIG research and theorising :-)

Private User
10/3/2014 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for helping to try and figure this out. I have been tracking descent from this line down to early settlers (pre 1650) in New Amsterdam (New York), and when I saw the dates on Alpais and Engeltrude, it sort of raised the proverbial red flag.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion