Dynastic Names

Started by Justin Durand on Thursday, September 25, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
9/25/2014 at 11:20 AM

Some of the managers of the profile for Sweyn II Estridson, King of Denmark have been having a debate about putting Dynastic Names in the Birth Name field. They are having problems figuring out how to start a public discussion, so I'm creating one here for them to use.

9/25/2014 at 11:38 AM

What dynastic name is being suggested here?

Note that Sven was using a matronymic (Estridsen) rather than his patronymic (his father was named Ulf), probably to emphasize his descent from Svend Tveskjæg (Svend Forkbeard).

Both cited Wikipedias seem to be saying that he used the "Estridsen" (Ástríðarson) himself; it was not something imposed by later historians.

9/25/2014 at 11:41 AM

In this case the name is hidden by the Display Name.

Here the dynastic name is "Jelling". Some curators put a dynastic name in the Birth Name field. Some don't. Strong feelings on both sides.

9/25/2014 at 11:49 AM

Elna Kirstine Plougmann has been particularly vocal. I think it's best to let her make her argument herself.

Private User
9/25/2014 at 12:07 PM

"Estridsen Ulfsen" - what the h. is that kind of combination?
OK, - his fathers name is Ulf, but he has in most text I have read about him been referred to as the son of his better known mother, i.,e Estridsen.

9/26/2014 at 1:03 AM

Aside:
I see I Curate Sveinn - by default of identifying him in a Curator Note as Shakespeare's 'Sweno' in Macbeth. I'm happy if Bjorn or Harald want to take over Curation to make sure the name conforms to whatever you decide at the end. Otherwise - just let me know how it should change.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion