New Feature: Multilingual Profiles

Started by Mike Stangel on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 174 posts

The final decision is up to the curator. She's been tending this profile for a long time. I'm satisfied that she'll listen to all opinions then make the best choice.

My vote (for what it's worth) is that his First Name in English be Charles, but his Display Name be Charlemagne, matching the English Wikipedia entry ;)

Not that I have a vote to cast in the matter, but if I did I would use it to express the opinion that his Display name should be Charlemagne (since that's how he is most easily recognized today) and that his first name in English could be "Carl" since that would seem to be the commonsense English translation of "Karl".
I know both a "Carl" and a "Charles" and neither one would want to be called by the others' name.
;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_(name)

Hi guys - Thanks for all the interest in naming Chuckie, who I Curate - for my sins :-) Much discussion has gone into naming Charlemagne in the past:- In fact, I think it was the rancour inspired by the Anglicization of the name of this iconic historical grandfather of so many of us, that may have been Geni's impetus for developing a multi language tool.

I had left the name alone yesterday, because Geni had used it as the test case example for introducing the multilingual tool, so I didn't want to disrupt that; but I see the English Name Fields have been unlocked & re-locked already. It was obviously irresistible. :-)

I will leave it locked while we discuss.

English Display Name:
I'm a supporter of the Display Name being taken from the Wikipedia Entry.
Charlemagne is what he's known as in English History and that must be an option that people can use to search for him.

English Naming Fields:
The question is whether to
a) Anglicize the Name he used; or
b) to use the authentic name (In this case we'll have to take it from documents, as we have no idea what Chuckie actually called himself)
I would favour using the authentic name from the documentation, rather than anglicizing it.

Other
We were in the middle of a discussion amongst the Curators about what to do with titles; patronymics; dynastic names etc. As yet, unresolved :-)

Going off to get my morning coffee... :-)

It's a pity that anyone has touched Chuckie's name fields at all today because it has completely hijacked this thread.

In this context i really don't care what names are used in his fields the _BUG_ with the 'New Feature: Multilingual Profiles' is that the data in the Suffix Field on the English Tab is transferring across to all the other tabs.

Hopefully Mike Stangel and Dan Cornett don't miss the point of my original post ( http://www.geni.com/discussions/141587?msg=973099 ) amongst all the ensuing name debates.

Alex,

I think that was intended behavior. Quote from the blog post:

"Certain name fields will be paired together as part of this selection process: we won’t mix first name and middle name from different languages, nor will we mix last name and maiden name from different languages. However, if a profile has a first or middle name in one language and a last or maiden name in another, we will combine these in order to show you as much information as possible."

I notice that you get this on suffix as well.

I deliberately added a translation without a suffix because I disliked the English suffix (mainly because when using a similar Norwegian title you would use it as a prefix), and noticed that the English suffix got displayed on the Norwegian name. DISLIKE....

Hi Jon,
If it's intended and not a bug then it's a big thumbs down from me, if it's only a temp thing during roll out then fair enough but the situation as it was this morning with "the Great" repeated everywhere was not a good outcome.

Initially I reported a bug here, ever since the new feature was in place, and removed my comment when it appeared to be fixed.
Apparently it's not or it reverted to the previous situation.

Husband + Wife 1 + Wife 2
Add child, for example to Wife 1
The child ends up with Wife 2

There are also some behavioral changes.
For example, in tree view, when I add a new profile, it used to be that, after adding the new profile, it would jump to the new profile. Not anymore. Now you have to move around to find the newly added profile which is not a real improvement.

We have a fix for the suffix field that we expect to release today after more testing.

Alex Moes the underlining is from inline translations. Click "English (UK)" in the footer, then click "Disable inline translations" below the language selection boxes. I'll fix the bad translations that you reported.

Mike good.. can you check what rvk is saying about step kids apearing in the wrong place? thanks.. I thought that was fixed..

Private User and Private yes, we will test and fix the wrong-spouse problem.

..and the tree view.

thanks Mike

Note to Mike Stangel:

This new development of multiple language entry is magnificent. It will have enormous utility. Thank you, Geni!

Private User and Private I believe we've got the adding-onto-wrong-spouse problem fixed. Let me know.

Thanks Mike, not bringing this stuff up because i like to complain, just trying to help..
Keep up the good work!

ok thanks I'll check my profile and see..

Alex that was an important bug, I'm glad you guys made sure we saw it.

this profile change in any languge was ok. but it seems to have made a bidding war on names happen lol charlimange has been changed 5 times today ha ha

I think that what's happening is that people are adding translations of Charlemagne into their own languages. ie I'm not seeing changes to the English.
Are there edit wars happening on the other languages?

well it's been changed several times i don't know and can't tell if it's just them messing with the english or translations into french german spanish etc etc because i thought that kind of stuff would be listed on the profile it's self..

It might take a little time for people to settle into how best to use the new fields... I'm not worried. :-)

yes i've come to that conclusion too.. just don't want silly mix ups.. as i alduded to before getting charles king of england mixed up with charlimange..
silly and i know they should be easy to distingush but not so some times.

it is clear that this new feature has brought a ton of growing pains that we will have to adust to over time.. despite being half mixed scotish i don't exactly call robert de bruce Roibert a Briuis, Rìgh Alba

Finding possible since this last improvement update that the Choose a project to invite ---- to collaborate on. Project collaborators can edit and merge profiles associated with a project. ▼ from the actions tab of a profile is not working and has been up till this time.

After the changes, it looks like the surname is written twice; for example,
Elizabeth H. Bauman (Bauman) but her last name is Gehman.
Elizabeth Huber Gehman
Jim

I found my birth name field empty.

I am finding that when you add the parents - that if you add the father first and then then mother which you can only do as his wife - then she is not added as the mother of the child - but instead as a second wife - thus having to go in and enter a duplicate profile and merging the two so she can become the child's mother

Showing 91-120 of 174 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion