New Feature: Multilingual Profiles

Started by Mike Stangel on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 174 posts
9/22/2014 at 11:35 AM

We're delighted to announce a major new feature on Geni: multilingual names and biographies! You are now able to enter profile names and biographies in more than one language and Geni will store them separately and display them in your preferred language.

See our blog post for more information about this unique feature: http://www.geni.com/blog/new-on-geni-multilingual-profiles-386125.html

9/22/2014 at 11:42 AM

Yay!

9/22/2014 at 12:03 PM

Wow, glad to see Geni still doing work on features no other program out there has available.

9/22/2014 at 12:38 PM

The blog post is very clear and makes this necessity exciting.

Thank you, Geni, for demonstrating leadership and scholarship in the genealogy space.

9/22/2014 at 2:05 PM

Thanks Mike Stangel.

Private
9/22/2014 at 3:49 PM

nice mike..

9/22/2014 at 3:58 PM

Private User - just nicely note what isn't working the way it should. Be very specific in describing bugs or suspected bugs.

Mike has been really quick to jump on fixes, but he can't do them all at once.

9/22/2014 at 4:19 PM

Hello - did someone in this discussion report Private?

If so, I suggest that instead of being so quick to report someone that you send email or just address the issue neutrally in the thread. Thank you.

Let's try to encourage better collaboration by collaborating instead of reporting :)

Private
9/22/2014 at 4:32 PM

sigh. I guess i wasn't nutural enough for some one.. heh heh

9/22/2014 at 4:38 PM

We should all think twice and be more neutral in our posts.

Also, let's be kind to the staff at Geni who rolled out a major change and are working diligently to fix any issues we are reporting.

Report the issues and be patient. I know that Mike is working quickly to resolve issues.

Private
9/22/2014 at 4:52 PM

http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Discussion-Best-Practices/18549 here is a little somthing i put together on the matter.

9/22/2014 at 5:44 PM

The location fields should be fixed now. Thanks for your patience!

Private User
9/23/2014 at 1:24 AM

a BIG thanks Mike Stangel ( :

9/23/2014 at 6:10 AM

The new feature seems to have an associated defect. When correcting data errors, the system now selects the data in the first profile (left), even if you select data on the right.

PLEASE FIX.

Private User
9/23/2014 at 6:53 AM

I guess the data-conflict are still present. Already reported as an error.

Private User
9/23/2014 at 8:07 AM

I'm wondering if this bug with "Identify" on Photos is also due to these changes - on Photos, now when click "Identify", first one works fine. For the next one - no drop-down box of name choices ever pops, so cannot enter more than one at a time.

For each time - If I click "Done Identifying", refresh the screen, then click "Identify" I can do one more - then it stops working again.

9/23/2014 at 8:42 AM

Ray,

So if I understand you right. Clicking on Mother 1, selecting add Child, it actually adds it to Mother 2 ?

Private
9/23/2014 at 9:31 AM

Mike.. I heard from another user that has limitied vision that the font size is a issue is there anyway we could put a select a size button in the code for next time? erica, your thoughts on this?

9/23/2014 at 12:11 PM

The font is a bit small. The typing window for the "about" is also a bit small. I would think of these as "nice to have" & not a bug, as the behavior is as intended.

9/23/2014 at 12:42 PM

Why are some of the profile so wide??? On some I have to open the window far wider than normal or it cuts off the Rt side of the profile. It doesn't resize like it used to. Is this something new or a "bug". Do you need an example for this??? If so, I will have to add that in another message...

Think the multilingual ability is a great addition. What about the Adoption issue? It has been on the back burner forever!!!

Private
9/23/2014 at 12:46 PM

A little off topic here but still helpfulll to some people who are having issues with the new change On many browsers you can use control + and Control - to zoom in or zoom out. That may help some (using the + and - on the numeric keypad when available may be easiest).
and Ctrl-0 (Control key & zero key, together) resets to the "default" size. I discoverd that quite by accident earlier. Now I have not been able to reproduce what lois and rvk are talking about

Private
9/23/2014 at 12:55 PM

pat. I don't know what the hold up on the adpotion issue is. maybe it's not as easy as it appears to code it in.. right now i have to go do some stuff but when i get back.. i'll trouble shoot somthing. Ben I need a little more info if i understand it right you guys want to correct bad data in a merge? or on a profile? rvk,, I too have the issue you mention one person dieing early in life the husband remarying.. I will test your claim by adding a fake child on to a profile that i allready know is correct and if it goes else where i submit a ticket with a example..

9/23/2014 at 12:58 PM

Here is one profile that is extra wide!!!! William Montgomery

9/23/2014 at 12:58 PM

Yes, there is still (as of this note) a problem with resolving data conflicts. It may be best to NOT try to resolve data conflicts until this is fixed (you might lose the "alternate" information).

9/23/2014 at 1:00 PM

Good example, Patricia! It is 'wide' for me, too.

9/23/2014 at 1:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the reports -- we're keeping a list and addressing them as quickly as we can.

Private
9/23/2014 at 1:55 PM

mike.. I have a profile where the wife died shortly after child birth and the husband remaired I will look at that thru tree view and see if i can't figure out what rvk is talking about.. and i have the kids of the 2nd mariage for that profile allready in place.. since I need to look at that side of the tree that the profile is on because I need to correct info else where I will beta test and create a profile which i will delete if there is no issue and if somthing is not where it should be i'll submit a report. Now i if i read rvk correct he is saying that when he goes to add the children from the 2nd mariage that they show up under the first deceased wife and not the 2nd newly added wife? and he is correct in saying there is a drop down menu some where because i've used it before..

9/23/2014 at 4:01 PM

BUG:
When i edit a profile the second name field, which from memory was previously [Middle Name], now displays as [Overige Namen].

I have not changed any settings everything is still defaulted to English.

The spooky aspect is that "Overige Namen" is Dutch for "Other Names"! This must have some connection to my working predominantly with Dutch profiles, it surely can't be a coincidence??

Here's an example of a profile where i see this issue but that is not managed by me and is not in the slightest bit Dutch:
Josip Lucić Jakić

Private
9/23/2014 at 4:42 PM

could some one help me? I am going to attempt a repair job on Henry B. Douglas it seems that lawrence and david should be with his second wife helen and not with gertrude.. that way we can attempt to reproduce rvk's issue and if it goes in the wrong slot then i'll report it.. I think i can cut them loose with out curator help and will go ahead and see but it thought i'd give a heads up here first.

9/23/2014 at 6:12 PM

BUG:

On the profile page under Nick Names appears "English (default):", this text is not in the data field when i check the edit page.

eg: Jerome Trico

Showing 1-30 of 174 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion