Resolving conflicting data?

Started by Christine Eclavea on Saturday, September 20, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
9/20/2014 at 6:12 AM

Hello, I am trying to help out with merges on profiles that I follow, since seeing this project. And I am unable to resolve conflicting data on a number of profiles. I receive a message that the profile is locked and cannot be changed - even though I have selected the data set created by the manager. Am I to message each manager, each time one of these conflicts comes to my attention?

Geoffroy V, Count of Anjou, Maine and Mortain

Thanks for your time.

9/20/2014 at 6:34 AM

Hello Christine,
I have now resolved the data conflict. Please know that the profile is locked by the curator shown on the profile. Ideally, you would contact that curator directly in order to solve the data conflict. IN this particular case, it was pretty straightforward, but in more complex cases the curator involved would probably want to look at the data first.
A curator locks a profile primarily if such a profile has some particular historical significance and/or when a profile has gone through a large number of merges with lots of conflicting data. For some historical profiles, it is highly likely that other users will continue to create duplicates with possibly again conflicting data - hence the lock a curator adds to such profiles in order to protect data integrity.
All the best!
G

9/20/2014 at 6:55 AM

Hi, Christine.

In general (from this short Help note: ):
"You must have permission to edit the profile in order to resolve conflicts. If a profile is claimed, only the profile owner may complete their conflicting data information. You may send a request to the profile owner or manager to complete the conflict on their profile."

If you don't have edit access, selecting items and submitting them sends a Request to the manager(s), who then decide what actions to take.

In the specific example profile you cited, there are (as of this writing) no data conflicts.

Master Profiles may have additional constraints on that "permission to edit". A Master Profile (MP) may either be fully locked, or it may have only some particular fields locked. Why? Typically because the curator has determined that the 'locked' values are correct and should not be changed despite merges with profiles with differing information.

If there are no Data Conflicts pending but you still have values that you think should be changed, the best way to raise that issue is to start a Discussion on that profile's Discussions 'tab', presenting the evidence you have ... or simply the questions you have! If you have questions, others probably have had -- or will have -- them, too. A Discussion stays around with that profile so others can learn from it.

Starting a Discussion under a profile ALSO automatically notifies the profile's co-managers about the new discussion topic. So you don't have to send a separate private message to the managers.

9/20/2014 at 6:34 PM

Thanks George and Dan. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Please correct all profiles with conflicting data. This is permission to resolve that data. Theresa Louise Schneider (Vangheluwe)

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion