Eleanor (Brereton) Brereton - Eleanor (Brereton) Egerton - Brereton

Started by Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator on Sunday, August 17, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts

There is some confusion about the parents of Eleanor Brereton, there are published references that list her as the daughter of Randle Brereton, III, Esq., of Ipstones & Emma Carrington and others Sir Randal Brereton, IV of Malpas & Eleanor Dutton.

Also some references just list Eleanor Brereton as the 2nd wife of Sir William Brereton, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, some listing her as having married 1st _ Egerton or Philip Egerton, of Olton.

Private User
8/17/2014 at 2:39 PM

Hi Carole,
What does Ormerod have to say? The Chesire historians I have been working with consider him the best resource; after that I've found that the Welsh Medieval records are very god, and seem to usually agree with Ormerod.

8/17/2014 at 10:48 PM

I've tried looking through all three vol.s of Ormerod's The history of the county palatine and city of Chester: .... but could not find (unless I overlooked it) anything exact on Eleanor's parents.

The history of the county palatine and city of Chester: .... Vol. II.
https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyp02orme#page/350/mode/1up
Sir Philip Egerton obitt 17 July 1563 m. Eleanor, dau. of sir Randle Brereton, of Malpas, marriage settlement dated ante 26 Hen. VIII. deed 3d Nov. 1567; buried at Little Budworth, Nov. 5.; ch: Eleanor (m. sir Randle Brereton), John (m. Jane Mostyn) Egerton.

The history of the county palatine and city of Chester: .... Vol. III.
https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyp03orme#page/51/mode/1up
Sir William Brereton, of Brereton, kt. chief justice and lord high marshal of Ireland, bur. Feb. 4, 1541, at Kilkenny in Ireland m1. Alice Savage., 2dly Elenor, dau. of sir Ralph Brereton of Ipstones, widow of . . . . Egerton.

These two must be different Elenor's as Philip Egerton is listed as d. 1563 and Sir William Brereton as 1541, so the Elenor Brereton who married Sir William was not the same as the one married to Sir Philip Egerton.

To make a guess I would say Sir William's wife would be the elder Elenor, dau. of Emma (Carington) & Randle Brereton, & probably a widow of some other Egerton.

And Sir Philip Egerton's wife Elenor, dau. of Eleanor (Dutton) & the younger Randle Brereton.

But this would be just a guess and may not be correct. Maybe the Randle's are completely different then these two?

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion