Started by Private User on Sunday, August 10, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
8/10/2014 at 10:22 PM

I find myself once again trying to explain 'tagging' to someone. Do not see a Help FAQ on it, do not see it in this Project, do not recall seeing it in Glossary project. Do know I have seen it explained. But it should be somewhere we can easily find and link to.

Both how to 'tag' someone in a Discussion and what the term means. If I just missed it, could someone provide a pointer to it in response to this comment/question? Otherwise - should it be added to this Project, or ??

Private User
8/10/2014 at 11:32 PM

I have added "How to Tag an Image" in the http://www.geni.com/projects/Provenance-and-Images/1020 project - related but not the same!

8/11/2014 at 6:57 AM

As I understand it ...

'tagging' means that the "URL" (link to a person's profile) has been placed within the text of a discussion message.

There are (generally) three different ways that 'tagging' can happen:

(1) Copy and paste that URL into the text (more on this below).

(2) Type an "@" followed by the first few characters of the person's name. That should 'pop up' a list of names to choose from.

(3) Start a Discussion from the "Discussions" tab of that profile. This tab is not available for claimed profiles or private profiles you don't have access to. And, of course, it only applies to 'tag' that one profile!

Method #2 depends on the "caching" of profiles which you have "visited" (viewed) recently or are "near you" (in your family group). It is not always reliable. This is often known as a 'short-cut' for tagging.

One can get to the "URL" (for use in method #1) in a variety of ways, depending on what is "visible" at the time. When a person's name is visible as a 'hot-link' on the page (often in blue), then a 'right-click' or 'control-click' on that name should bring up a small contextual menu of options -- one of those options should be "Copy Link Location" or something semantically similar. Selecting that item will then 'copy' the URL.

When pasted in the text, it will initially look something like:
http: / / www . geni . com / people / persons-name / some-long-number
(without all the spaces, which were put in so it does NOT become a link!) If the text does not contain the "PEOPLE" in the path, you didn't get the correct URL! It is that "URL" which 'tags' the person.

8/11/2014 at 7:02 AM

June's link relates to 'tagging' (adding) a profile's URL to a picture. While technically similar to 'tagging' someone in a discussion, when 'tagging' in a picture one doesn't usually deal with "pasting" a URL as happens in Discussions text. It's more like "method 2", but without the '@' as a trigger for the list of names.

Private User
8/11/2014 at 7:12 AM

Hi-jacked I am afraid because I have seen so many of the same photos being added over and over again instead of using just one copy that I take every opportunity to draw attention to the fact that they can all be tagged to the one image!

8/11/2014 at 7:19 PM

Private User or

Dan Cornett

I am wondering if anyone knows the maximum number of profiles that can be added to the same image.

8/11/2014 at 7:27 PM

I can answer. No maximum.

Private
8/11/2014 at 7:44 PM

@pam karp I don't know why it won't let me tag you do you think the tagging descrpition needs to be updated?

Private User
8/11/2014 at 8:29 PM

Private -
1) I saw your message, gave it a try - got absolutely no tagging-response (ie no drop-down window popping) for Pam or for you or etc. - tried in some other discussions - worked fine - came back here and it worked fine here - so perhaps a temporary hiccup in the system.

2) If trying to Tag someone - be aware - once you enter a "space" the drop-down window will disappear if it has already popped, will definitely not come up if you are so fast it hasn't popped yet - so always pause before hitting the space bar. In some cases it may be helpful to do the last name instead of the first name (either will work; there is a limit on the number of choices it offers - useful to know if, for example, you have a gazillion relatives named "Pam" and not many with name "Karp") - but entering the last name after doing @[first-name] will just cause it not to tag -- so strongly suggest just stop with first name.

Private
8/11/2014 at 8:44 PM

thanks. I got it now.. trying Pam Karp again.. do you think we need to update the tagging description? I had my mind on Robin Williams while i was trying to tag which didn't help my concentration any... he'll be missed by many

Private User
8/11/2014 at 10:03 PM

I have found that the most successful way to tag anywhere - discussions, documents or conversations is to use the id number for a person -

Trying Pam Karp (the @ worked) and [[..]] - Pam Karp - both worked. If the @ tool doesn't offer me a menu - (I have found that sometimes this window pops up somewhere else on the screen) - I usually copy the person's link address by right clicking on their name, pasting that onto a post-it/stickie - then double clicking and copying just the number in the id and adding it between [[...]]

Copying the number into the window for tagging photo's and images works every time - although every so often you need a space after the number to prompt the "search more" command.

Thanks Erica Howton for your comment regarding the max number of tags per image - this was my thought - some of those I use are very loaded!

8/12/2014 at 12:34 AM

Private

The "tag" explanation in the Glossary has now been separated into three examples. Have a look and let me know if they are helpful.

Both Dan Cornett and Private User have been clear in their descriptions of tagging.

Understanding tags / tagging seems to be a problem generally. It may be that this needs to be explained in more detail in the glossary.

Thank you Erica Howton for clarifying there is no max number of tags per image. The same image is used to depict deceased children and babies and runs into many thousands of profiles in the Krakow project.

Unnecessarily.... I have been copying and pasting the image after adding what seems to be hundreds of profiles.

Private
8/12/2014 at 4:02 PM

Pam Karp well done.. yes It seems to be confusing to many. i can see them now and it looks ok.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion