Lady Anne Cole (Bodrugan) - who is she the daughter of?

Started by tina quay on Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
8/5/2014 at 2:03 PM

for parents it lists Henry and Isabel yet in profile it lists her brothers kid Nicholas, which on some sites it says her brother didnt have any kids.. I am just trying to figure it out please...thank you
i did find one site that says she was kid to her brothers kids
http://www.our-genealogy.com/waite/ancestry-cole/john5-cole.html

http://fabpedigree.com/s078/f207559.htm

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jwebe... that lists nicholas son of otto as her father..

trying to figure it out due to geni.com tree saying sir francis drake who is an ancestor i have always been curious about is related to me like this::

Carrie Dixon
her mother

Clara Gertrude Berry
her mother

Leroy Pratt Drake
her father

Osmer Curtis Drake
his father

David Drake
his father

Frances Drake
his mother

*Nathaniel Skinner*
her father
Richard Skinner
his father

Deacon Richard Skinner
his father

Richard Skinner
his father

William Skinner
his father

Anne Newdigate
his mother

Isabella Newdigate
her mother

Sir Thomas Hampden, Kt.
her father

Elizabeth de Hampden
his mother

John Whalesborough, Esq. MP
her father

John Whalesborough, of Lancarfe
his father

Joan de Bodrugan
his mother

Henry de Bodrugan
her brother

Lady Anne Cole (Bodrugan)
his daughter

William Cole, Knight of Tamar
her son 1357

John Cole, Knight of Agincourt
his son 1883

John II (Sir Lord of Nythway)
his son 1411

Margaret Kelloway

Agnes *kelloway* Drake

John Drake V of Exmouth and Ashe 1474-1554
her son and marries elizbath hawkins who is mother to

Edmund Drake 1514-1567 married to anna mylwave
his son

Vice Admiral Sir Francis Drake
his son

thank you for your time and help.. I am going to do some more research as well.

8/5/2014 at 4:58 PM

Tina I haven't visited this tree area (again) yet but in looking at the sources you posted I can tell you I like Jim Weber's work
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jwebe...

A lot, and dislike FabPedigree.

8/5/2014 at 6:07 PM

well i cant find much saying she is daughter to henry but that one link saying that ID: I38993
Name: Nicholas BODRUGAN , of Nythway
Sex: M
Birth: ABT 1311 in Nythway in Brixham, Totnes, Devon, England
Note: Many people have Nicholas as son of Henry & Isabel Whalesborough. His birthdate would indicate he was son of the previous generation (Otto & Margaret Champernoun). Also Henry was known to have no male issue (CP).

Father: Otto (Otho) BODRUGAN , Sir b: 6 JAN 1289/90 in Bodrugan Manor, St Goran, Cornwall, England
Mother: Margaret CHAMPERNOUN b: ABT 1290 in Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, England

Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown

Children Anne BODRUGAN , heiress of Nythway b: ABT 1337 in Nythway in Brixham, Totnes, Devon, England
and the first I posted lists her as Nicholas kid as well.. is there any way to change it from Henry to Nicholas then? that way people get right info and such..

8/5/2014 at 6:44 PM

Working on it Tina, it shall be fixed momentarily. Since we both like this source, my process was to upload the document, add it to all the profiles listed, cite the fields; that's what takes time, properly documenting the profiles, and I really should be looking for "what the compiler quoted FROM" (his source).

Once that's done, then move the profile to the proper parents.

On other words - document 1st, fix 2nd, because if I "change" the tree from what I find, I better be able to back up my decision in a way anyone can see for themselves.

8/5/2014 at 6:46 PM

BTW (CP) stands for The Complete Peerage. Go up Jim Weber's site to the postem on Sir Othes - good reading there.

8/6/2014 at 1:12 AM

Woodman Mark Lowes Dickinson, OBE could I trouble you to come take a look at these confusing albeit quite wealthy Cornish knights?

Sir Nicholas Bodrugan, of Nythway and Gorrans

There is disagreement about Lady Anne's father, his father, etc. ... And Complete Peerage contradicts HOP, and the brain trust at soc.Gen.med seems to have corrected Magna Carta Sureties ...

(sigh)

I think I have it right but I'd really appreciate you taking another cruise on it.

Stirnet has a draft "Bodrugan1" page (http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/zwrk/bodrugan1.php; membership required to view without interruption) that was constructed from various web sites. It contains the following note regarding Henry de Bodrugan (<> is an addition from me):

"TCP reports that Henry <Henry de Bodrugan> died '3 weeks after his father <Sir Otto de Bodrugan, Lord of Trevelyn>, and before he had obtained seizin.' Some web sites show him <Henry de Bodrugan> as father of Nicholas <Sir Nicholas Bodrugan, of Nythway and Gorrans> father of Anne <Anne Bodrugan, heiress of Nythway> who m. Sir John Cole of Nythway <Sir John Cole II, of Nitheway/Nythway> but TCP <''The Complete Peerage''> reports that Henry <Henry de Bodrugan> dspm <died without male issue> (whilst the Whalesborough records, assuming that they are relevant, show him as dsp <died without issue>). Provisionally, we show that Nicholas below."

Farther down the page, it shows a Nicholas as a younger son of Sir Otto de Bodrugan, Lord of Trevelyn by Margaret Champernoun, and Sir Nicholas Bodrugan, of Nythway and Gorrans as a son of that Nicholas, and Anne Bodrugan, heiress of Nythway and his daughter, and Sir John Cole II, of Nitheway/Nythway as her husband.

If all of this is to be abided, it appears that Anne is attached to the correct parents - Nicholas and Isabel Bodrugan - but Nicholas himself is attached to the wrong parents.

8/6/2014 at 1:29 PM

In other words, Stirnet is postulating

Sir Othes (father of)
Henry (dspm); Nicholas; others (?)

Nicholas (son of Othes, father of)
Sir Nicholas (father of)
Ann who married John Coles ?

8/6/2014 at 2:07 PM

Stirnet (like everyone else) seems totally confused about the wretched Bodrugans. Just about every link seems to be prefaced by "provisionally". If these eiusive people are to be resolved properly it is only likely to be through the UK National archives on their property.

Mark

8/6/2014 at 3:21 PM

I'm inclined to not add an extra generation of Nicholas Bodrugan's at this point. What say others ?

However I think the extra generation of John Cole's is wrong. What say others?

11/2/2014 at 5:47 PM

so is it safe Erica Howton to add on trees that Nicholas Bodrugan is father to Ann and she mother to William Cole?

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion