Presidents of the United States

Started by Jerome F. Weber on Sunday, July 20, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 271-300 of 320 posts

Sorry, Floyd, but look again at 1. 1982, 2. 1983, 6. 1986, 7. 1987, 8. 1988.

Of course geni will give you non-relational "connections" with Hugues Capet and many of the other names you search. None of them count for anything.

Thanks again Jerome for catching my dyslexic typos.

I appreciate your inside technical information to geni.
I do prefer "blood relations" over what you call "non-relational connections", but those in-law relations to have some value, e.g., I would have a weakened relation with my granddaughter if the relation to my son-in-law did not matter. However, there is the "No Path" message that certainly counts for nothing. Geni typically links the ascending-descending cousin tree with a parent - sibling link, which is the 2nd level of the 1st cousin triangle, but the primary blood link between you and the target which has to be at least one common grandparent or two common grandparents, half-cousin case in the former and full-cousin case in the latter. I usually try to record these extra results along with the great grandparent orders in my summaries. Another case is the parent-child link, in which case the parent is usually also the common great grandparent between you and the target, also likely a half-cousin case. It would seem to me, as a retired programming, that these cases would be easily programmed into the Geni cousin case. This is meant of discussion only, I do not mind manually calculating these things myself.

Floyd

Do you really call them "blood relations" when they are connected through multiple marriages? I certainly do not.

Hugues Capet, roi des Francs is my 28th great grandfather

Hugues Capet, roi des Francs is my 32nd great grandfather and you Roy Henrik Pettersen are my 21st cousin twice removed. :)

Hello Jerome,

I was trying to explain "blood cousins" (a name that is certainly used) via the common great grandparent idea built from the of first cousin triangle model of a common grandparent pair (the more common or regular) at the vertex and two grandchildren at the base of one each of sibling children to the grandparents, that defines two first (full blood, or DNA of the grandparents) cousins at the base.
See for the regular case in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin&gt;
for graphical portrayals.

In the less common case overall when there are only one common grandparent of the grandchildren, when the grandchildren have different spouses of the common grandparent as the other grandparent, then the siblings are half-blood siblings and the grandchildren are still called first cousins, yet only share blood or DNA from the common grandparent, so could be called half first cousins or first half cousins.

In the more usual general nth ordered cousin case with distant generations, Geni usually represents the ascending branch and descending tree branch transition by a sibling relation and the defining blood or DNA relation is determined manually by locating the parents to see who the common great grandparents are or single common great grandparent is of the tree. If the successive connections are regular, than the common blood/DNA connection of the common great grandparents goes down by 1/2 each step down on each branch of the tree, the multiple marriages do not effect the inheritance of the minimum common great grandparent (s). If the connection is not regular with mixed spouses, then the proportions just need to be tediously calculated, if one wishes.

If the top minimal common great grandparent is the singular case, then the half sibling splitting starts with an initial half-blood/DNA factor, but that propagates similarly.

With an nth order cousin r times removed, the blood/DNA proportion will vary between the cousins by a factor about (1/2) raised to the power of r, depending the order of the difference in generations and the time between generations.

Jerrome, you and I are regular 19th cousins, with no removals, with regular common great grandparents, the 18th order in common since no removals,
Hugh de Venables, 10th Baron of Kinderton and Katherine (de Houghton) de Venables, parents of geni-selected siblings Sir Hugh de Venables, of Kinderton and
Katherine (de Houghton; de Newport) Davenport. Hence, we share the approximate order of (1/2) raised to the power 18 (about 4 millionths) of de Venerable blood/DNA, we are blood/DNA cousins, assuming Geni data is reliable (ha).

Floyd, "blood cousins" is certainly an acceptable term, but that doesn't make it applicable to people who have no common blood. Your examples of a grandparent with two spouses leading down to grandchildren who are not full cousins has nothing to do with a geni "connection" that is linked through someone's spouse, which is no longer a blood relationship of any degree. After your second full paragraph, I lost your line of argument completely.

But when you mention DNA, you introduce a whole nother problem. Ancestry is controlled ultimately by the legal presumption originating in canon law that a child whose mother was married to a man during the period from six to ten months preceding his birth is legitimate, the husband is the legal father, and no dispute of paternity can be maintained.

DNA, however, is biological. No one can know whether you have the DNA of any of your 30th ggf's. In the modern era, several kings are believed with good reason to be not the son of the father who preceded him on the throne. How much more likely it is that such things happen among common people.

I am a cousin to at least 40 US Presidents, depending how the Geni Tree is blowing. Some, seem to come and go.

thats right, i just searched up George Washington the 1st president, it stood 14th cousin or something like that and now it stands 11th cousin five times removed and i have the same relation to Obama as the first time i searched him up

Jerome F. Weber is Daniel Lee Hawk's 23rd cousin once removed!
Floyd Bliss Hanson is your 17th cousin once removed.
Roy Henrik Pettersen is your 21st cousin once removed.
Walter G. Ashworth is your 15th cousin once removed.
Jill Marie Jiordano is your 19th cousin once removed.
YEA!!!!
I am related to all the presidents but one , can't remember what one, I think it was Reagan or one that I would have liked to have had in my tree, O well, I guess I have to settle for King Arthur Pendragon and Cleopatra. They are in my tree when I shook it on Geni.

Jerome, we must agree 100% with you. As exceptions, of course. In another way we are loosing our time here, right ?And that's why we
need the FTDA-tests. But one may be strongly suprised with the number and degree of FGS(full genomic sequence matchs) that can be found between our DNA-test-kit and another person(s) in the Family Tree DNA database. For now, this results have been uploaded from my test-kit 276195 last year, since october/2013:

25.10.2023 Y-DNA38-47(part of he Y-DNA67)* 09.11.2013 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 05.01.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 04.02.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 07.02.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 20.02.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match 12 for 12* 26.02.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 03.03.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 08.03.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 11.03.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 13.03.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 20.03.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 02.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 17.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 19.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 21.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 29.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 29.04.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 01.05.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 05.05.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 09.05.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 15.05.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match* 16.05.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 21.05.2012 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 27.05.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 09.06.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 26.06.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 04.07.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match 12 for 12* 15.07.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 19.07.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 19.07.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 21.07.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 21.07.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 06.08.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)** 11.08.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 16.08.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match* 25.08.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 25.08.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1 and 2(mtDNA HVR 1&2)** 05.09.2014 Mitochondrial DNA(mtDNA) Full Genomic Seqiemce*** 17.09.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match* 20.09.2014 Y-DNA12 Test Match* 23.09.2014 Mitochondrial DNA hypervariable region 1(mtDNA HVR 1)**

The Clinton's became grandparents today. Chelsea gave birth to a baby girl. I was able to input her name, but I can't add her birthdate or city (been having a lot of issues on using Geni).

Private
Please add 9/27/2014 to the birthdate.
Please add Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, New York, USA to the birth place.

The baby was born Sept 26

Thanks, Jerome Reber and others for all your hard work on this research. I went through all the profiles and found that I'm also related to all the presidents, they are all between my 6th and 17th cousins. Wow! King Huges, rio des Frances is my 29th great grandfather, Joan of Acre, Countess of Gloucester is my 21st, great grandmother and Snofrid Svasedotter of Norway is my 29th great grandmother. It's great that all of us cousins can find each other and help each other build our trees.

Sorry, I meant to say thanks, to Jerome Weber not Reber, I just noticed a typo.

According to Geni, the Cleopatra of history (Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator, Queen of Egypt) is m 61st great grandmother and her last husband Marc Anthony (Marcus Antonius) is my 61st great grandfather. Cleopatra's former partner Julius Caesar IV (Gaius Julius Caesar, Roman Dictator) has been recently upgraded by Geni to a more recent 53rd great uncle, with all his wives being indirectly related "aunts", while his connection comes from his sister Julia Caesaris Minor, my 52nd great grandmother, daughter of Julius Caesar III, my 53rd great grandfather as well as Julius Caesar IV's father.

The interdependencies of the path may seems complicated, but as has been shown that it reduces the total number of ancestors compared to that of an ideal tree with completely independent binary branches where the number of ancestors in any generation grows by powers of two linearly related to the generation count.

Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator, Queen of Egypt is my 63rd great grandmother.

Marcus Antonius "Mark Antony" is my 63rd great grandfather.

Perhaps, there is too much emphasis on King John Plantagenet as the "Bad King", rather than on his nickname "Lackland", due to his get the short end of the inheritance of the control of the land that went to his older brothers. If he lacked land, then his descendants would likely to have been very starved for land and desperate to migrate where land was relatively cheap. What a good filter to produce a migration favoring our connections to the U. S. Presidents. This idea needs to be researched.

However, when my 1st American Bliss ancestor came to Boston about 1637 with a brother and cousin with families, my direct ancestor "found Boston too crowded" so hiked with others led by a preacher to the Connecticut River and became a co-founder of Hartford along with his eldest son through the separate purchases of land. His brother migrated later to Providence and married in to the family of Rhode Island Governor Arnold and the cousin for some strange reason stayed in the Boston area. I have found no nobility in my Hartford Bliss line and my numerous noble connections come from the wives that Bliss sons married. I am not counting my more cousin Sir Arthur Bliss, the more modern composer and music director.

You should read more about King John. He "lacked land" because the four elder sons of the kings all had duchies (vast properties), but he did not. Even today, the eldest son of the monarch is *born* Duke of Cornwall (he becomes Prince of Wales only when the monarch chooses to confer it on him), owning vast and rich estates in Cornwall (southwest tip of England). By 1186 three of his brothers had died and he was given considerable lands by his father. When he became king, John had all the power and riches that come to the king from his predecessor. His descendants did not inherit "lack of land," though many of his offspring were illegitimate and fared more or less well. The notion that, because of his youthful situation, "his descendants would likely [[to]] have been starved for land and desperate to migrate" is ahistorical in the extreme.

Jerome, thanks for modifying my conjecture, but I am not convinced that it was extreme from the experiences of my own early American ancestors.

BestRegards,
Floyd Bliss Hanson

Has anyone found a direct connection to First Lady Michelle Obama that does not go through President Barak Obama? She is known to be matrilineally related to the family of her ancestors slaveowner Henry Wells Shields, namely through Henry's son Charles Marion Shields, as indicated by DNA Testing that he was the father of her second great grandfather and slave Adolphus Theodore Shields. My ascending search ends with the Geni terminal "Andrew Shields is your 15th cousin once removed's wife's 6th great grandfather", where my 15th cousin once removed is President Obama.
My interest is deepened because long before I found my connections to all the presidents, the Obamas were neighbors in our condo development where he was a state senator and raised their two children.

Has anyone had any success in completing the direct connection to Michelle? I have check both male and the sparser female lines without success.

A reference:
Meet Your Cousin, the First Lady: A Family Story, Long Hidden by Rachel L. Swarns,

<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/us/dna-gives-new-insights-into-mi...;

Distant, but blood related. Without Going through President Obama, who is my 11th cousin 2x removed.

http://www.geni.com/path/Theresa-Renée-Eléna-Delgado-Tossas+is+rela...

Floyd, don't you see that King John's fortunes 800 years ago (which far from lacking land were the fortunes of the king of England) have nothing to do with the status (high or low) of his commoner descendants 300 or 400 years later?

I did find connection to all 44 presidents, including
Obamas wife separeted from Obama, and also
Mrs Clinton, and Al Gore, and Mitt Romney, and
the most of them who signed the declaration of Independence.
Is there a hidden claim that they all most be related in order to
become the president of USA?

Jerome, I was using John Lackland as a notable example, though I was not previously aware from my readings that he did recover some land after his brothers died, as you clearly pointed out. However, there is the general problem of the non-first-born, like John Lackland, that have a general deficit with respect to inherited land through ages and English land is not infinitely divisible into significant amounts. In the case of large families, some I see that are on the order of a dozen children, the last children may not receive much inherited land. For the first of my Bliss family of Hartford, no record was found of the last child receiving inherited land.

Theresa, thank you very very much, I see several familiar surnames on top of your tree to Michelle that I see on my own trees. It should help me when I try again.

Ulf, a starter for you question is the Wikipedia brief article,'

"Most royal candidate theory"

PS, ULf,
my URL disappeared on me upon posting

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_royal_candidate_theory&gt;

Showing 271-300 of 320 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion