Started by Private User on Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 28 posts
Private User
7/8/2014 at 9:21 AM

The overview and this source state that Col William "Langloo" Winston was the Uncle of Governor Patrick Henry. Unfortunately, our tree doesn't reflect that. Patrick appears as a half-cousin through his grandmother Sarah Winston (or in our path as Colonel William 'Langloo Billy' Winston's son's wife's husband). I expect the relation would have to be Sarah Henry (Patrick's mother). It would appear that Isaac Winston & Unknown Profile are the same person, but that would create a twisted relationship and not match the dates for Sarah Winston. Are there two Sarah Ann Winston (Jennings)?

c-ping: Erica Howton

Private User
7/8/2014 at 9:22 AM

Here was the source for the relationship: http://www.juch.org/myancestors/aqwg13.asp

Private User
7/8/2014 at 1:38 PM

This also states that Patrick Henry's wife married his first cousin Judge Edmund Winston. http://www.redhill.org/descendants_genealogy.html

Ok, it does look like there was a Sarah Jennings that married John Dabney.
http://books.google.com/books?id=55I38FXWyPgC&pg=RA3-PA474&...

It also shows her marrying a "Win-". Since I don't know at this point and it makes an unlikely circle, I'm disconnecting Sarah Winston as a spouse of Isaac Winston.

I think the main issue here is that it doesn't look like Sarah Jennings is the mother of Sarah Henry. It looks like her parents are Isaac Winston & Mary Massie. So I'm making those changes along with moving the children.

Couple outstanding issues:
Is Unknown Profile & Lucy Coles, currently siblings, the same person?
Who are the parents of Elizabeth Sharpe, who I disconnected due to birth dates.

Private User
7/8/2014 at 1:45 PM

I found some MH entries for Elizabeth Sharpe and moved her.

7/9/2014 at 3:45 AM

I have that Judge Anthony WInston was Patrick Henry's Uncle.
He had taken in a young Peter Francisco who became "The Hercules of the Revolution", the best soldier in the revololution. Look him up.

Private User
7/9/2014 at 7:07 AM

We have Captain Anthony Winston as the uncle of Patrick Henry. However there is some question as to who the mother of Anthony (and Isaac Winston other children). Some online trees have his first wife as Sarah (reported marriage in 1705), and that Mary Massie was his second wife (reportedly married in 1706 or 1758 depending on the tree), which could make Sarah the mother of Isaac's children. I believe it unlikely that Isaac's 1st marriage to "Sarah" is to Sarah Winston, which would have Isaac 2nd marriage be with his step-daughter Mary. But I haven't research this enough to understand the varying confusion from online trees or if there even is a Sarah.

Wikitree has a Sarah Jennings born 1684 died July 1782 married to Isaac Winston.
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Jennings-2595
but they also have Isaac married to Mary Ann Winston, who was married to Isaac's son Major Isaac Winston, III.

Private User
7/9/2014 at 7:14 AM

This source states that Anthony's mother was Mary Dabney.
http://books.google.com/books?id=9CXMvfjLgEoC&pg=PA339&lpg=...

7/10/2014 at 4:10 AM

Did you look up Peter Francisco? herculesoftherevolution.com

Private User
7/10/2014 at 7:02 AM

Very cool story! I've MP'd Peter Francisco ("Virginia Giant", "Giant of the Revolution") and updated his information. He was listed as the son of Captain Anthony Winston, but we know his parents, so I created those profiles and left him in conflict. Fingers crossed that Geni will one day support Adoption relationships.

Private User
7/10/2014 at 7:29 AM

There are lots of children that need to be added for Peter Francisco ("Virginia Giant", "Giant of the Revolution") if anyone has time.

7/10/2014 at 12:35 PM

Wow, what a great story. I might take a pass at relating myself closer. :)

I think the 1st wife of Isaac Winston - Sarah, mother of his children - got eaten up.

She should be recreated, MP'd, and the children moved over.

I'm basing that on:

"Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly • volume XV • volume XV, number 4 (01-OCT-1977) • Winston Family Genealogy - Isaac Winston was married twice and Mary Dabney may not have been the mother of his children."

Ideally though should be double checked and the source citation inspected, also if there's been updated study since 1977.

7/10/2014 at 4:35 PM

a friend, Travis Bowman, is a direct descendant of Peter Francisco, he has written a book, made a documentary and is in the process of making a feature movie about Hercules. Travis is also 6'6" like Peter was and he was born on the very day that the State of VA declared "Peter Francisco Day"! Is is the best RevWar story I've ever heard.

2/25/2017 at 10:27 PM

I have Mary's parents as Cornelius Dabney and Susannah West. I got them by not only their find a grave profiles but also from records on ancestry. since I don't just use geni and I search all across the internet and other genealogy sites I'm going with what I have since I have discovered that there is way too many people merging, changing and down right deleting paths which screws up my tree royally which I have worked on since 2006! For instance I am completely pissed off that my well documented path the Freddie Prinze Jr has been completely removed now showing no path to him at all. I'm friends on facebook with his cousin on his dad's side. So I'm pretty sure my information was correct before some jackass broke the path.

Private User
2/26/2017 at 8:01 AM

Tara Denise Brooks, what Mary are you referencing and what do we currently have? If you have documents that show something otherwise, I'd be happy to look at them and change something if it's incorrect. FindAGrave, while helpful, is often just people entering stuff they find online. And it depends on what documents you're referencing on Ancestry. One of the great things about Geni is that we can disconnect myths or propagated errors for everyone and likewise correct errors for everyone. People don't usually just disconnect stuff because they want to - it's usually because the line is incorrect or unproven. So show us why your information is more accurate - we'll change it.

Private User
2/26/2017 at 8:03 AM

And many of us have been working on such trees from 2006 and taken much time to research them as well. That's not an argument for an accurate connection.

Private User
3/19/2018 at 7:40 AM

I wonder if I’m related to this branch of Henry’s (Patrick). I’m a firstborn Henry of a lineage that I can date back to Richard Henry 1790 here in Ohio/W. Va. I’m sure there are some stories there; I never knew my father’s side of the family and ended up in Ohio from S. Cal. Who knew my ancestors are from here and that I may be related to Patrick Henry!

3/19/2018 at 10:13 AM

I really said “gosh darn ?” :):)

3/19/2018 at 12:24 PM

I feel bad that you didn’t feel adequately heard about your complaints at the time.

In my own defense, I’m not the complaint lady; there’s a paid Customer Support department for that.

So I tried to describe what I do. Fix it as best I can.

3/19/2018 at 12:56 PM

I disagree that a volunteer is accountable for “management practices.”

In working with Geni trees, there are errors due to

- the merge environment
- mistakes in genealogy
- outdated pedigrees

As well as “vanity.”

Collectively the world family tree improves. If we work on it.

3/19/2018 at 1:35 PM

I don’t understand the comment. Do you mean a profile with a wrong image attached ? That would have been done by a Geni member and could be in fixable error.

3/19/2018 at 3:16 PM

(No Name) I recall your issue now that you say it.

Geni and MyHeritage are different companies, it would be the same as your images appearing on an Ancestry tree, or anywhere else.

If you file a ticket with Geni Customer support they might have more suggestions for you. I don’t really know what you can do except contact the tree owner on MyHeritage, since you had no satisfaction from MyHeritage Customer support. Or try them again?

I’m sorry I don’t know the solution and can’t fix it.

3/19/2018 at 3:22 PM

Re: “it confuses the record and flies blatantly in the face of Geni's supposed goal's and reason. Why not work on finding a valid solution to this problem?”

There are currently 120 million connected profiles in Geni.

Over the years Geni software tools and most of all the hard work of members has steadily improved the quality of those profiles.

That “is” working to fix the problem, as I would define it. But that is a generalization. I do best with specific issues presented specifically. I understand the question better then.

3/19/2018 at 4:58 PM

(No Name)

I'm sorry I'm not clear enough on what I'm saying.

Geni curators have nothing to do with MyHeritage management (some of us may have our own personal trees).

So you are addressing the wrong person, as there's nothing I can do except sympathize with your distress.

Geni Customer Support is also a separate entity from MyHeritage, as Geni and MyHeritage are different companies. They may have more suggestions to offer than I do. I don't know.

https://www.geni.com/sso/zendesk/login?return_to=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp.... (bottom of every page) gives PRO members a chance to open a ticket with Geni Customer Support.

I hope you take the opportunity to explain to them your poor experience with MH.

3/19/2018 at 5:37 PM

It is a topic to be addressed with Geni Customer Support, MyHeritage Customer Suport, and the person who did it.

Not with a volunteer curator.

3/19/2018 at 7:01 PM

If the point is not clear - that I have done what I can, again, to address your concerns - then, why, yes. I’ll repeat it. I would have expected to hear that you have opened the ticket with Geni Customer support so they could offer any further advice on the situation. Do you need assistance for opening a ticket?

(No Name)
3/19/2018 at 7:08 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Private User
3/20/2018 at 5:43 AM

Using someone else's pictures without permission is against both Geni and MyHeritage's Terms of Use. They both provide information to contact them for content entered by another member that you want removed. For Geni, you can contact misconduct@geni.com and for MyHeritage, you can contact privacy@myheritage.com.

https://www.geni.com/company/terms_of_use
https://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/popup.php?p=terms_conditions

Private User
3/20/2018 at 7:02 AM

Just remember that the legislation is country dependent. In Norway the constitution law §97 says that no new law can be valid for things that happened before the law was valid. Even if Norway now accepts international copyright laws for photos this paragraph make in praxis all photos taken before 1970 more or less public domain unless it is an artwork.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion