Walter de Beauchamp, Sheriff of Worcestershire - Sir Walter de Beauchamp, of Elmley

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Showing all 9 posts
6/25/2014 at 5:51 PM

In looking where to place Giles de Beauchamp, d. Oct. 1361, I started looking at this profile. Walter de Beauchamp is the father of Giles de Beauchamp according to various sources. I noticed that the birth and death dates on the profile did not match anything in the About.

I suspect that either there was a merger or a case of mistaken identity. I'm not an expert in 13th and 14th century British families, so I hope someone out there can suggest some good sources for the family -- preferably primary sources, if they exist.

The wife of Sir Walter de Beauchamp d. 1303 and mother of Giles de Beauchamp is supposedly Alice de Toeni, which is what the About says too, but here the profile has another wife, a second indication of two profiles being merged mistakenly or of some confusion.

Should the wife be Alice de Toeni? Who are the children? What are the correct birth and death dates? Thank you.

6/25/2014 at 5:56 PM

Alice de Toeni, Countess of Warwick married to another de Beauchamp with a son Giles de Beauchamp.

It looks like there has been a lot of attaching and detaching in Sir Walter's case.

Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator, Private User, Pam Wilson (on hiatus) -- any input?

6/25/2014 at 6:18 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_de_Beauchamp,_9th_Earl_of_Warwick
William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick
His father was William de Beauchamp of Elmley Castle and his mother Isabel Mauduit, sister and heiress of William Mauduit, 8th Earl of Warwick, from whom he inherited his title in 1268. He had a sister, Sarah, who married Richard Talbot.

He married Maud FitzJohn. Their children included:

Isabella de Beauchamp,[8] married firstly, Sir Patrick de Chaworth and, secondly, Hugh le Despenser, 1st Earl of Winchester
Guy de Beauchamp, 10th Earl of Warwick, who married Alice de Toeni, widow of Thomas de Leyburne

A tree is here, also.

6/25/2014 at 10:44 PM

Thanks. It seems like there are several competing trees but this seems to match Pam Wilson (on hiatus)'s information on Alice de Toeni.

6/25/2014 at 11:39 PM

These both list Giles Beauchamp's father, Walter as the son of William Beauchamp & Isabel Mauduit, Peerage listing no wife for Walter, and Our, Royal, Titled ... has Walter's wife as Alice de Tony.

http://www.thepeerage.com/p11857.htm#i118564

http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p353.htm#i...

Wikipedia - William Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick was Walter's brother.

This would be one of Walter's sons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Beauchamp,_1st_Baron_Beauchamp_o...

6/26/2014 at 3:10 PM

I know that Giles had a son Roger.

7/14/2014 at 11:37 AM

I think this Walter was miss-merged with his ancestor Walter de Beauchamp, of Elmley
Look at the burial date it is 1130 when he died in 1303 and this earlier Walter was married to Emmeline d'Abitot Despenser.

I would suggest
Merging Sir Walter de Beauchamp, of Elmley & Alcester, Sheriff of Worcestershire with Unknown Profile a profile with wife Alice DeToeni & the dau. Margaret (Beauchamp) Lisle.

Switching over the children Giles, William, Walter to the correct parents Walter Beauchamp & Alice de Toeni/Tony/Toni/ (the son Stephen could be their son but no listing)

Possibly remove the son Stephen since there is no listing and merge him with Emmeline d'Abitot Despenser & Walter de Beauchamp's son Stephen de Beauchamp, Sr

Remove Emeline de Beauchamp and merging her in with Emmeline d'Abitot Despenser

And in a stand-alone tree there is a dupl. Unknown Profile with wife Alice De Tony & the son Giles.

7/14/2014 at 2:56 PM

Thanks Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator, I was hoping that you would lend your expertise in this area.

I can start working on fixing these profiles up. Just got out of surgery so not doing any clean up of bad merges tonight but sometime this week unless someone else gets to it first.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion