Ada de Huntingdon - Curators :Ada was also married to Ralph Brereton please add

Started by Private User on Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 211-226 of 226 posts

Spoke to my Uncle who is a Latin Translator, he said, in some context Ada can mean "given". He is going to join the site, so he will assist us occasionally. Shaz

@ Ada of Huntingdon, Heiress of Yardley is my fourth great grandfather's wife's second great uncle's wife's 11th great grandmother.

Greetings from Finland, where nature being what glows in the most beautiful autumnal colors.

Thank you to all of you who discussed! It's been nice to follow this extensive and very interesting discussion here Genin site.

Sincerely, Salme Marjatta

Is it Yardley, Birmingham, of which she was heiress? I hate to betray any prejudices (of course I have very few) but I do invite anyone who is thinking of claiming their inheritance to visit the damned place. Drunken women lurching around all over the place, and probably not knowing who their partners are. If they are keeping up her traditions, no wonder she is a genealogical controversy.

Mark

Of course Moseley, Birmingham, is quite a different question. Not that we do not have a few Yardley-ites who have crossed our borders, which are porous. But we did produce UB 40, and just a little way over our borders the other way we have JRR Tolkien's birthplace and childhod home, with the mill and the rest of Hobbitland (now, of course, almost all suburbanised).

Mark

Ada of Huntington had (at least) 35 manors.

There's a chance she owned all of Birmingham, isn't there?

Seems female names were not so important as who fathered them. Ada of Huntington "given of Huntington" ? That means father confirmed ? Of Yardley ?

Ada is a feminine given name. One source indicates it originates from a Germanic word meaning "nobility".[1] It can also be a short form of names such as Adelaide and Adeline. The name also traces to Hebrew origin, sometimes spelt Adah - עָדָה, meaning "[line breaks off at this point]

Notable people

Given name

* Ada, Countess of Atholl, the daughter of David de Hastings, England, and Forbhlaith of Atholl, Scotland
* Ada, Countess of Holland (1188–1223), Countess of Holland between 1203 and 1207

And I can't BELIEVE we're still running round and round this prickly pear! :-P

It would probably take a 1/2 page to fill in all her AKA's and titles, and only a few fields to work with. We're trying to show the "highest" title and a property designation; Yardley (wherever it was) seemed to be her main manor and "of Huntington" how she is mostly known.

Luckily there was only one of her, although she seems to have been confused at times with her grandmother, older 1/2 sister, and most blatantly - her step daughter.

Sorry Maven B. Helms I have been away, takes a while to get back in to the swing of things :) I do apologise.

Archaeologia Or Miscellaneous Tracts Relating to Antiquity, Volume 33
Pages 58-60
https://books.google.com/books?id=PzRFAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA60&...=...

I was only posting what Pamela told me to post you have a issue you take it up with her not me

Michael, it's fine that Pamela continues to believe that, and it's perfectly acceptable for her to post sources for it, but citing an older work to support a discredited theory is not proof. It's just an interesting sidelight.

Bullying, nagging, and haranguing the curators is a great way to get them to do what you want - NOT.

"Argument weak here, yell like hell"? (punchline of an old joke about an annotated sermon).

As to the citation:

William Brereton, 1st Baron Brereton (1550 – 1 October 1631) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1597 and 1622. He was created a peer in the Peerage of Ireland in 1624 as Baron Brereton.

The King who issued his patent was James I.

That's a *long* way from the 12th or even the 13th century.

I have found this to be a fascinating and long discussion until I researched geni.com and found that Ada of Huntingdon, Heiress of Yardley and Henry de Hastings, Knight are my 22nd great grandparents. Then it really became interesting. Thanks.

John Pat

Showing 211-226 of 226 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion