Gérard II, duke of Lorraine - Bad merges?

Started by Alex Moes on Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
6/18/2014 at 5:14 AM

The ABOUT section is clearly describing at least two different men.

Easy enough to delete the current text and replace with relevant excerpt from Medlands except that it looks like the bad ABOUT section might result from bad merges.

The two current wives look to belong to one of each Gerards but i'm not clear how the children fit in?
Two or three seem to belong to the older Gerard but the younger Gerards kids dont seem to be represented, mean while there are another 3 from who knows where?

6/18/2014 at 5:25 AM

The younger Gerard seems to be Gérard IV, duke of Upper Lorraine

Private User
6/18/2014 at 7:15 AM

And the older one may actually be a Gebhard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebhard,_Duke_of_Lorraine

Private User
6/18/2014 at 9:00 AM

@Gerard 11, duke of Lorraine is my 31grt grandfather and his wife Oda Von Sachsen is my 31 grt grandmother i do not think that Gerard 1V,duke of ypper Lorainebelong in this family bad merge Judy Ricehttp://www.geni.com/path/Judy+Rice+is+related+to+G%C3%A9rard+II+duk... this is my link

Private User
6/18/2014 at 9:01 AM
Private User
6/18/2014 at 9:38 AM

Alex, copy your comment in the discussions section of the profile, and then Justin the curator should see it and fix the problem

6/18/2014 at 3:53 PM

Pamela, this discussion IS on the profiles tab :) and i send Justin annoying personal messages too :)

Maven, i think Gerard and Gebhard are the French and German variations of the same name.

I think the profile i started this discussion from is fairly accurate it just has info for the other guy in it's ABOUT and maybe duplicates oof some kids and the wife. I just didnt want to tinker with it before giving others a chance to take a look... i'm far from anyone's definition of an expert.

Private User
6/18/2014 at 4:31 PM

Alex, they're not quite the same name.

Gebhard comes from geb "gift" and hard "brave, hardy", while Gerard comes from gari > ger- (meaning 'spear') and -hard (meaning 'hard/strong/brave'). It's like the difference between "Wilfred" and "Wilhelm".

6/18/2014 at 7:26 PM

Some of the primary documents refer to Gerard II as Gerhardus so i assumed it might just be a different interpretation, even possibly just down to the "wonderful" handwriting.

Thanks for the correction.

6/28/2014 at 7:28 PM

The trees are all sorted and i've divided the About section up between the two profiles.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion