Jewish Families of Poland Umbrella Project?

Started by Seth Morgulas on Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 45 posts
6/3/2014 at 5:02 PM

Is there an umbrella project for Poland? It looks like no. . .should we create one? it seems like there are only a few towns listed under Poland?

6/3/2014 at 5:44 PM

That is a good idea Seth Morgulas. Let me know how I can help. The Suwalki and Lomza projects and other projects I have created would be referenced by the umbrella project. Adam Robert Brown also has a number of projects about towns/families in Poland.

6/3/2014 at 5:54 PM

Seth Morgulas, please do it! I've been sporadically adding umbrella projects, but I just cannot do it all by myself. The key is to start it up and then try to get help from others to work on the subprojects for each town.

6/3/2014 at 6:32 PM

I can help with formatting or linking to other projects. You don't need to put much in the umbrella project to begin.

The best organization in my view is to have 19th century administrative districts and towns with Jewish populations for each administrative district have their own projects. Jewish Gen pre 1900 districts are what I use, e.g., Suwalki Gubernia, Lomza Gubernia...

6/3/2014 at 6:33 PM

Ok, got it. I will work on it.

6/3/2014 at 8:19 PM

Seth Morgulas has helped create a Geni umbrella project for the Jewish Communities of Poland with subprojects for some of the major towns. Seehttp://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Communities-of-Poland/18109 or http://tinyurl.com/oknwd6s

Geni is a collaborative website, so please feel free to join any of the projects, edit the project pages to add information, and add profiles to the projects.

Private User
6/3/2014 at 9:54 PM

The Second Address/link worked.

But the first just got a page starting: "The address wasn't understood"

6/4/2014 at 4:38 AM

Perhaps the problem is because a space has not been inserted between "see" and "http"

http://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Communities-of-Poland/18109

6/4/2014 at 4:39 AM

Lois, the link above works.

6/4/2014 at 5:56 PM

if there is a polish umbrella I would like to join. My grandmother ethyl zakrowsky and my grandfather israel zakrowsky emigrated to america from bialistock, because of possible impressment in czar nicholas ll army; I believe before or during wwl. I would appreciate any information. Thank you, Ingrid Lindenberg King

6/4/2014 at 6:12 PM

ingrid lindenberg king Just go to this URL:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Communities-of-Poland/18109

And under "actions" request to join.

6/4/2014 at 7:12 PM

thank you for the information. Ingrid Lindenberg king

Yes, this would be great ! I am searching my paternal ancestors from Poland - this would be a great help ! Thank you !

Private User
6/5/2014 at 1:27 AM

please add in the list of towns Wielkie
a village in the administrative district of Gmina Abramów, within Lubartów County, Lublin Voivodeship, in eastern Poland. It lies approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Abramów, 23 km (14 mi) west of Lubartów, and 31 km (19 mi) north-west of the regional capital Lublin

Private User
6/5/2014 at 1:31 AM

Wielkie Oczy

Wielkie Oczy
Wielkie Oczy
Coordinates: 50°1′22″N 23°9′44″E
Country Poland
Voivodeship Subcarpathian
County Lubaczów
Gmina Wielkie Oczy
Population 880

Wielkie Oczy [ˈvʲɛlkʲɛ ˈɔt͡ʂɨ] (Ukrainian: Великі Очі, Velyki Ochi; literally Big Eyes) is a village (town until 1935) in Lubaczów County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland, close to the border with Ukraine. It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Wielkie Oczy. It lies approximately 17 kilometres (11 mi) south of Lubaczów and 83 km (52 mi) east of the regional capital Rzeszów.[1]

The village has a population of 880.

Private User
6/5/2014 at 11:44 AM

Please add Chrzanow & Strykow

6/5/2014 at 2:54 PM

Unless one of the other collaborators gets to it first I will add those by Monday when I get back to my computer. It's hard to edit projects from my iphone.

6/6/2014 at 2:40 AM

Please add the towns Kolomea and Lwow

6/6/2014 at 4:29 AM

Varda, both those towns are already listed. Lwow has a project already- scroll down to Lwow Wojewodeztsa and you will see the link for Lwow. Kolomyja is under the heading for Stanislawow but it doesnt have a project yet.

Private User
6/6/2014 at 6:10 AM

Wielkie and Wielkie Oczy are not the same town

6/6/2014 at 11:44 AM

How do we link the existing Bielsko Biala project to this?

6/6/2014 at 3:07 PM

The "related projects" link on the right side of the Project page. You would need to be a collaborator on the project you are linking also.

6/7/2014 at 10:33 AM

@seth Morgulas
Thank you ,Seth

6/9/2014 at 6:48 AM

Marcia Tugendhat I have hot linked Bielsko Bialo- it is now clickable from the list.

6/9/2014 at 6:54 AM

Private User Wielkie has been added to the Lublin list.

6/9/2014 at 6:58 AM

Private User I have added Chrzanow & Strykow to the list. There are two Chrzanows- one in Lublin and one in Krakow.

6/9/2014 at 7:00 AM

Private User I have added both Chrzanows to the list, but there are not projects for either town, as far as I can tell. Perhaps you can start one. If not, then it will be a little while before I create it.

Private User
6/10/2014 at 7:51 AM

"Jewish Families of Poland Umbrella Project"?
Not as simple as it seems. Example - someone mentioned 2 towns named Chrzanów. Well, I counted 20 towns and many more smaller localities in Poland with the same name. And that at only one point in time (1880).
Obviously, you cannot add all of them to the project. You need to be more specific. And, please do not forget that many of these localities had German and/or Russian, Ukrainian, Slovak, Hungarian equivalents.

6/10/2014 at 9:57 AM

Irena,
I agree with you. As the narrative to the project suggests there are well over 1,000 Jewish communities with a connection to a historical portion of Poland. I would suggest that the best we can do is add those communities that are readily identifiable in the jewishgen.org town finder or the jri-poland.org list of towns, as Hatte suggests and any additional ones that individuals have an interest in. Just to use the case you highlighted- Chrzanow- in the absence of specificity as to which town of that name was requested, I added the two that are specifically listed under that name in the primary name field in the jewishgen.org town finder- not neccessarily those that might have had a historical name or equivalent. Obviously, if someone wants all 20 Chrzanows and has profiles to add to them, then they should add them.

As this is a collaborative process, it is incumbent upon those with an interest in a specific town to help with the narrative to ensure that we have the correct town associated with the correct region and to add equivalents etc. In the meantime, we can at least start developing the structure- if you build it they will come! - and hope that others will flesh it out.

Private User
6/29/2014 at 1:11 PM

does anyone have info on the family trees of the rabbis of Wielkie Oczy?
Their names are here...
http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/wielkieoczy/rabbis_of_wielkie_oczy...

Showing 1-30 of 45 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion