Mythical Norse ancestors

Started by Michael Joseph Nogrady on Sunday, May 25, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
5/25/2014 at 2:24 PM

I thought King Fornjot of Kvenland was a mythical god but now I see he is in my family tree through collaboration.
Does annyone know for sure?
Mike (Berge) Nogrady

5/25/2014 at 5:13 PM

You can probably just forget about Fornjot in your genealogy.

Most of us showing any genealogy back to Heimskringla have a problem long before Fornjot, most common the problems are between 1650 and 1350. You should look for Your doubtful link during that timeperiod.

5/26/2014 at 2:36 PM

Can anyone tell me where the mythical ancestors are attached to my tree?
Michael Joseph Nogrady
You → Evelyn Grace Nogrady
your mother → Harald Halvarson Berge
her father → Halvar Ivarson U-Berge
his father → Ivar II Halvarson U-Berge
his father → Halvar III Tormodson Tormodson Gjesteland
his father → Marita Skreå Halvarsdatter U-Berge
his mother → Anna Olsdtr. Skreå br 5
her mother → Ole Olsen d.y. Lunde
her father → Ole Torjeisen d.y. Finsnes
his father → Marit (Marta) Olsdatter Søyland
his mother → Torborg Olsdatter
her mother → Karen Bergsdatter Egeland
her mother → Berge Torgersen Egeland
her father → Torger Bergesen Egeland
his father → Berge Torgersen
his father → Torger Bergulfsen Årstad
his father → Ingeborg Sveinsdatter Oddernes
his mother → Svein Herleiksson Oddernes
her father → Herleik Åsulfson Galde, i Biskopsrud
his father → Åsulf Kjetilsson Galle, i Biskopsrud
his father → N.N Eiriksdatter Galle
his mother → Torbjørg Aasulvsdatter, til Rein
her mother → Ragnhild Skoftesdatter til Giske
her mother → Skofte Ogmundsson Giske
her father → Ogmund Torbergson Giske
his father → Ragnhild Erlingsdtr. Giske, Av Sola
his mother → Astrid Yngling Tryggvesdatter
her mother → Astrid Eriksdatter Obrestad
her mother → Eirik Viking-Kåresson Bjodaskalle, på Obrestad
her father → Vikinge-Kåre Sigurdsson
his father → Sigurd Hundasteinarson Bjodaskalle
his father → Ålov/Alof Ragnarsdottir
his mother → Aslaug Kraka Sigurdsdatter
her mother → Sigurd "Fafnisbana" Sigmundsson, of Denmark
her father → Sigmund Völsungsson
his father → Völsung Rersson
his father → Rer Sigardsson, av Frankland
his father → Sigar Odinsson, King in Hunaland
his father → Óðinn / Woden / Woutan
his father → Heimdallr Ás
his son

5/26/2014 at 3:39 PM

Your first problem is Berge Torgersen Egeland being the father of Torgeir Bergesen Rafoss There are not good enough sources to prove that this link is correct and more research is needed.

Your next problem is the lack of sources confirming that Herleik Åsulfson Galde, i Biskopsrud is the father of Sira Svein Herleiksson Eigeland There is a theory that these two may be father and son, but there is no proof.

Your third problem is Eriksdatter Galle There are no sources existing about this person, nor her father, there is only a theory published in Scandinavian Historical Magazine (Skandinavisk Historisk Magasin).

From this person and all generations before him you are getting so far into the saga literature which is written a long time after these persons lived, that the trustworthyness of this information is close to zero.

5/27/2014 at 3:18 PM

I see I left out the person in the last paragraph. This person is Sigurd Bjóðaskalla

5/27/2014 at 6:56 PM

Remi,
You really know your Norse geneology!
It looks like I'll have to give up my aspirations to royalty
Mike.

8/2/2014 at 8:50 PM

Given that none of the theories that link Herleik Åsulfson Galde, i Biskopsrud to Herleik Åsulfson Galde, i Biskopsrud are even mentioned in the "About Me", I'm disconnecting this link now (and mentioning it in the "About Me").

If someone can dig up a reference to the theory, we can restore it (if it looks reasonable).

Yours for removing unproved links to Charlemagne.

Private User
3/19/2016 at 10:53 AM

Dear folks, I count some 41 generations. Let us presume that our parents mostly told the truth about who was the father, with a probability of 97 %. It is generally more difficult for the mama to lie about her being such. Then 0.97exp(41)=0.29 which is not highly probable. Of course in practice most links are correct, and a few are definitely not. Unfortately it is not easy to find all relevant facts in geneology.

5/1/2016 at 10:55 AM

Hakon, are we related? I asked Geni if I were related to Wotan & was told I am!- Mike Nogrady-Berge

5/1/2016 at 1:51 PM

Michael Joseph Nogrady you're my 7th cousin, with the common ancestor being https://www.geni.com/people/Ljøde-Kristensen-Litle-Nerabø/3967416 - if it had been a hundred years earlier, I'd have been quite doubtful, but at this level, I think it quite likely to be true.

5/1/2016 at 5:00 PM

Dear cousin Harald. So we are practically gods!
On another note I had my DNA tested which showed I am 48% Nordic, 23% Eastern European, 14% Irish & 5 % British. However, my extensive family tree has only Nordic & Hungarian ancestors. How to explain the Irish & British?
Mike

5/2/2016 at 1:42 AM

Ljøde is from the south-west corner of Norway - 3 days' sailing on a fair wind will put a Viking ship from there in the British Isles, and there was a *lot* of sailing back and forth - not just in the Viking times, but ever since, too. Would be a wonder if there wasn't a mixture - and a lot of the mixing is older than reliable records.

Besides, all those ethnicity calculators have *huge* error margins - I know, I've tried several!

2/24/2020 at 9:24 AM

Getting to Norwegian royalty is difficult and likely futile. But if you have ancestors from Agder or Rogaland and you can get to Tore ll Gardson Underberge (Garå) using Norwegian parish records and when they run out using Bygdebøker you can have some very illustrious ancestors in your Tree.

Ridder Tore Gardsson

2/24/2020 at 10:24 AM

He seems to be my 15th grandfather

2/24/2020 at 1:35 PM

I am not surprised. If you check Ancestors in the Actions button you will see many ancestors including Harald Buetooth Gormson.

By the way I see we share at least one ancestor in Are Syversen Mykland. Probably share a few others as well.

Private
2/25/2020 at 3:02 AM

I get there only as a cousin...via Hallkjell Jonsson Huk through Bjaland to Klevar to Gyldenlove....

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion