Genealogy Humor

Started by Patricia Ann Scoggin on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 361-390 of 2115 posts

I wrote a poem the other day while I was muttering over my most recent FTDNA matches.

This is to be sung (loosely) to the song "Gravity" by John Mayer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn_EvuNEh4

Laughing is encouraged.

Endogamy you're making such a fool of me.
Endogamy, seems that everywhere I search I see
My family, my cousins match,
They're on my list,
A great big batch,
And most are fifths I'll never find,
Sometimes I think I'll lose my mind, ohhhh...
Endogamy.

Sunday is Grandparents Day and this is for all who are Grandparents in fact or honorary. Erma Bombeck had such a unique sense of humor. I hope you enjoy this.

What is a Grandparent?
By Erma Bombeck

It's one of life's rewards for surviving your own children.
Grandparenthood rarely comes at a perfect time of your life. Either you're too young for it or too old.
Some grandparents see grandchildren as a chance to correct the mistakes they made the first time around. Others view it as a twilight zone where you can love them when they're dry and fed ... send them back when they're wet and hungry. Others relish being a spectator as they watch their prophecy materialize, "Just wait till you have children of your own!"
Perhaps the saddest words in all the world are, "I never knew my grandparents." It's good to remember that in a time when marriages dissolve and the grandparents are dismissed without notice or feeling.
Grandparents contribute a special relationship to a child that no one else can give them. At least ten years ago I wrote a job description for grandparents that bears repeating.
What is a grandparent?
They can always be counted upon to buy anything you're selling ... from all-purpose greeting cards to peanut brittle ... from flower seeds to cookies ... from transparent tape to ten chances on a pony.
A grandparent buys you gifts your mother says you don't need.
A grandparent pretends he doesn't know who you are on Halloween.
A grandparent will put a sweater on you when she is cold, feed you when she is hungry and put you to bed when she is tired.
A grandparent will frame a picture of your hand that you traced over the brocade sofa in the Mediterranean living room.
A grandparent will check to see if you are crying when you are sound asleep.
A grandparent is the only babysitter who doesn't charge money to keep you.
A grandparent will believe you can read when you have the book upside down.
When a grandchild says, "Grandma, how come you didn't have any children?" a grandparent will fight back the tears.

SPECIAL POEM FOR OLDER FOLKS

A row of bottles on my shelf
Caused me to analyze myself.

One yellow pill I have to pop
Goes to my heart so it won't stop.

A little white one that I take
Goes to my hands so they won't shake.

The blue ones that I use a lot
Tell me I'm happy when I'm not.

The purple pill goes to my brain
And tells me that I have no pain.

The capsules tell me not to wheeze
Or cough or choke or even sneeze.

The red ones, smallest of them all
Go to my blood so I won't fall.

The orange ones, very big and bright
Prevent my leg cramps in the night.

Such an array of brilliant pills
Helping to cure all kinds of ills.

But what I'd really like to know..........
Is what tells each one where to go!

Grandparent's Funny Answering Machine

Good morning... At present we are not available but please leave your message after you hear the beep. Beeeep...
1. If you are one of our children, dial 1 and then select the option from 1 to 5 in order of "arrival" so we know who it is.
2. If you need us to stay with the children, press 2.
3. If you want to borrow the car, press 3.
4. If you want us to wash your clothes and do the ironing, press 4.
5. If you want the grandchildren to sleep here tonight, press 5.
6. If you want us to pick up the kids at school, press 6.
7. If you want us to prepare a meal for Sunday or to have it delivered to your home, press 7.
8. If you want to come to eat here, press 8.
9. If you need money, dial or press 9.
If you are going to invite us to dinner, or, take us to a restaurant, start talking - we are listening! Please have a great day.

Thank you for the Erma Bombeck "What is a Grandparent." Did that ever hit home. When you have children, you think to yourself, "How could I ever love anyone more?" And then along comes your babies' babies. Love sure is a wonderful emotion the Good Lord passed down to us.

Special Package for Businessmen.....

An Airline introduced a special package for Business men.

Buy your ticket, get your wife's ticket free.

After great success, the company sent letters to all the wives asking how was the trip.

All of them gave the same reply..."What trip?"

New SIM to Surprise Her Husband...

Woman buys a new Sim Card. Puts it in her phone and decides to surprise her husband who is seated on the couch in the living room.

She goes to the kitchen, calls her husband with the new number:

"Hello Darling."

The husband responds in a low tone:

"Let me call you back later Honey, my wife is in the kitchen.

Cool Message by a Wife...

Dear Mother-in-law,

"Don't teach me how to handle my children, I'm living with one of yours & he needs a lot of improvement."

Throwing Knives at Wife's Picture.....

Husband was throwing knives at his wife’s picture.

All the knives were missing the target!

Suddenly he received a call from her "Hi, what are you doing?"

His honest reply, "MISSING YOU."

Habit of Talking in Sleep...........

A lady to doctor: My husband has a habit of talking in his sleep! What should I give him to cure it?

Dr: Give him an opportunity to speak when he is awake.

Natural Disasters Just Happen.......

Nobody teaches volcanoes to erupt, tsunamis to devastate, hurricanes to swirl around and no one teaches a man how to choose a wife. Natural disasters just happen.

Your Husband Needs Rest

Doctor: Madam, your husband needs rest and peace, so here are some sleeping pills.

Wife: Doc, when should I give them to him?

Doctor: They are for you !

Toooo funny Norm. I will share those on my email list.

Here are some "signs" that I think are funny. Hope you all think so also.

Signs & Notices 2

1) On a Plumbers truck: "We repair what your husband fixed."

2) On the trucks of a local plumbing company: "Don't sleep with a drip. Call your plumber."

3) Pizza shop slogan: "7 days without pizza makes one weak."

4) Door of a plastic surgeon's office: "Hello. Can we pick your nose?"

5) At a towing company: "We don't charge an arm and a leg. We want tows."

6) In a non-smoking area: "If we see smoke, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action."

7) On a maternity room door: "Push. Push. Push."

8) At an optometrist's office: "If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place."

9) On a taxidermist's window: "We really know our stuff."

10) In a podiatrist's office: "Time wounds all heels."

11) On a fence: "Salesmen welcome! Dog food is expensive."

12) At the electric company: "We would be de-lighted if you send in your bill. However, if you don't, you will be."

13) In a restaurant window: "Don't stand there and be hungry. Come on in and get fed up."

14) In the front yard of a funeral home: "Drive carefully. We'll wait"

Here is another Nursery Rhyme.

3. Diddle Diddle Dumpling Nursery Rhyme

Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John,

Went to bed with his trousers on;

One shoe off, and one shoe on,

Diddle, diddle, dumpling, my son John!

A mother's words to a typical boy child in this poem Diddle Diddle Dumpling! 
No origins in history can be found for Diddle Diddle Dumpling - it is merely a nonsense rhyme probably made popular and handed down from generation to generation owing to the popularity of the name John (Diddle Diddle Dumpling my son John). It is an interesting fact that this is the only old rhyme that uses the name John - all of the older poems use the colloquialism for John i.e. Jack.

John of Gaunt: 
Picture of a famous 'John' from English history. A Plantagenet prince, the rich and powerful John of Gaunt (1340 - 1399). His liaison with a commoner called Katherine Swynford produced four illegitimate children who were given the name Beaufort. (He married Katherine in 1396 and their children, by this time adults, were legitimised). Their son John was the Great-Great Grandfather of King Henry VIII of England.

Pluck Yew! & “the Bird” History

This is not meant to be crude. It is strictly for your edification and enjoyment. Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger, it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in the future.

This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as plucking the yew. Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! PLUCK YEW!

Over the years, some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like pleasant mother pheasant plucker, which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental’s fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter.

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as giving the bird.

I just know you were dying to know this... Now you do!!! Now if you are ever tempted to give a middle finger salute, you will know the history of it!!! (Sure takes some of the "naughtiness" out of doing it, doesn't it???)

HEADLINES FROM THE YEAR: 2059

Ozone created by electric cars now killing millions in the seventh largest country in the world, Mexifornia, formerly known as California

White minorities still trying to have English recognized as Mexifornia's third language.

Spotted Owl plague threatens northwestern United States crops and livestock.

Baby conceived naturally! Scientists stumped.

Couple petitions court to reinstate heterosexual marriage.

Iran still closed off; physicists estimate it will take at least 10 more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.

France pleads for global help after being taken over by Libya . No other country comes forward to help the beleaguered nation!

Castro finally dies at age 112; Cuban cigars can now be imported legally, but President Chelsea Clinton has banned all smoking.

Postal Service raises price of first class stamp to $17.89 and reduces mail delivery to Wednesdays only.

85-year $75.8 billion study: Diet and exercise is the key to weight loss.

Average weight of Americans drops to 250 lbs.

Global cooling blamed for citrus crop failure for third consecutive year in Mexifornia and Floruba.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Abortion clinics now available in every High School in United States .

Senate still blocking drilling in ANWR even though gas is selling for 4532 Pesos per liter and gas stations are only open on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Massachusetts executes last remaining conservative.

Illinois Supreme Court rules in favor of atheists, makes Illinois 3rd state to be declared a God free state, all churches must close by December 1.

New federal law requires that all nail clippers, screwdrivers, fly swatters and rolled-up newspapers must be registered by January 2060.

IRS sets lowest tax rate at 75 percent.

Floruba voters still having trouble with voting machines.

*************Stop organized crime...Re-elect no one************

Goodness!!! I hope none of that comes true!!! I did have to laugh at some of it.

4. "For want of a nail" Nursery Rhyme & History

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.

For want of a shoe the horse was lost.

For want of a horse the rider was lost.

For want of a rider the battle was lost.

For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

"A clever set of lyrics in "For want of a nail" encouraging children to apply logical progression to the consequences of their actions. "For want of a nail" is often used to gently chastise a child whilst explaining the possible events that may follow a thoughtless act.

The History of Obligatory Archery Practise! The references to horses, riders, kingdoms and battles in "For want of a nail" indicate the English origins of the rhyme. One of the English Kings did not leave anything to chance! In 1363, to ensure the continued safety of the realm, King Edward III commanded the obligatory practice of archery on Sundays and holidays! The earliest known written version of the rhyme is in John Gower's "Confesio Amantis" dated approximately 1390.

"For want of a nail" American usage: 
Benjamin Franklin included a version of the rhyme in his Poor Richard's Almanac when America and England were on opposite sides.
During World War II, this verse was framed and hung on the wall of the Anglo-American Supply Headquarters in London, England.

5. Georgie Porgie Rhyme

Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,

Kissed the girls and made them cry

When the boys came out to play,

Georgie Porgie ran away.

Naughty "Georgie Porgie" of the Stuart era!
The origins of the lyrics to "Georgie Porgie" are English and refer to the courtier George Villiers, 1st duke of Duke of Buckingham (1592–1628). King James I took Villiers as his lover and nicknamed him "Steenie" (a reference to St. Stephen whom in the Bible describes as having the "face of an angel"). Villier's good looks also appealed to the ladies and his highly suspect morals were much in question!

Affair with the married lady - the Queen of France!
Villiers most notorious affair was with his liaison with Anne of Austria, (1601-1666) who was the Queen of France and married to the French King Louis XIII badly injured both of their reputations. This, however, was overlooked due to his great friendship with the English King, James I (1586-1625). He was disliked by both courtiers and commoners, not least for helping to arrange the marriage of King James' son to the French Catholic princess Henrietta Maria (1609-1669) - he later became King Charles I (1600-1649). George Villiers (Georgie Porgie) exercised great influence over the King who allowed him many liberties. Villiers private liaisons and political scheming were questioned and Parliament who finally lost patience and stopped the King intervening on behalf of "Georgie Porgie". The romantic elements of of George Villiers and Anne of Austria are featured in the novel 'The Three Musketeers' by Alexander Dumas.

WHEN I'M 100, IF I LEAN A LITTLE, LET ME!

The family wheeled Grandma out on the lawn, in her wheelchair, where the activities for her 100th birthday were taking place.

Grandma had a mild stroke, couldn't speak very well but she could write notes when she needed to communicate.

After a short time out on the lawn, Grandma started leaning off to the right, so some family members grabbed her, straightened her up, and stuffed pillows on her right.

A short time later, she started leaning off to her left, so again the family grabbed her and stuffed pillows on her left.

Soon she started leaning forward, so the family members again grabbed her and then tied a pillowcase around her waist to hold her up.

A grandson, who arrived late, came up to Grandma and said, 'Hi,
Grandma, you're looking good! How are they treating you?'

Grandma took out her little notepad and slowly wrote a note to the nephew...

'They won't let me fart.'

This is naughty but Nice...and Funny....

The English Lesson.....

On his 74th birthday, a man got a gift certificate from his wife. The certificate paid for a visit to a medicine man living on a near by reservation who was rumored to have a wonderful cure for erectile dysfunction. After being persuaded, he drove to the reservation, handed his ticket to the medicine man.

The old man handed a potion to him, and with a grip on his shoulder warned, "This is a powerful medicine. You take only a teaspoonful, and then say '1-2-3.' When you do, you will become more manly than you have ever been in your life, and you can perform as long as you want."

The man was encouraged. As he walked away, he turned and asked, "How do I stop the medicine from working?"

"Your partner must say '1-2-3-4,'" he responded, but when she does, the medicine will not work again until the next full moon."

He was very eager to see if it worked so he went home, showered, shaved, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then invited his wife to join him in the bedroom. When she came in, he took off his clothes and said, "1-2-3!" Immediately, he was the manliest of men.

His wife was excited and began throwing off her clothes, and then she asked, "What was the 1-2-3 for?"

........And that, boys and girls, is why we should never end our sentences with a preposition........
.....because we could end up with a dangling participle!!!!!

I don't know if I should laugh or cry - I think laughter is the way to go!

George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham

5. Georgie Porgie Rhyme

Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,

Kissed the girls and made them cry

When the boys came out to play,

Georgie Porgie ran away.

is this the same one?

Bill, I believe the rhyme does indeed refer to the George Villiers you mention. An interesting man. Just read his profile... looks like he is my 7th cousin 14 times removed!!! Hummmmm

Elise, if I were the wife, I think I would cry this month, but might have a big grin on the next full moon!!! (Hopefully by then he will have explained everything!!!)

6. Goosey Goosey Gander Rhyme

Goosey Goosey Gander where shall I wander,
Upstairs, downstairs and in my lady's chamber

There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers,
I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs.

Zealous Protestants & Secret Priest Holes: 
Goosey, Goosey Gander is a Rhyme with Historical undertones - an attention grabber for a nursery rhyme which uses alliteration in the lyrics designed to intrigue any child. The 'lady's chamber' was a room that once upon a time a high born lady would have her own chamber, (also referred to as a solar). The origins of the nursery rhyme are believed to date back to the 16th century and refer to necessity for Catholic priests to hide in 'Priest Holes' (very small secret rooms once found in many great houses in England) to avoid persecution from zealous Protestants who were totally against the old Catholic religion. If caught both the priest and members of any family found harbouring them were executed. The moral in Goosey Goosey Gander's lyrics imply that something unpleasant would surely happen to anyone failing to say their prayers correctly - meaning the Protestant Prayers, said in English as opposed to Catholic prayers which were said in Latin!

Our grateful thanks go to Stan Evans for the following additional information:
"I read that it referred to the post Civil War period (middle 17th century) and Cromwell's soldiers who marched in "goose-step", which gives the title and first line. Also, the version of the rhyme I heard had the third line as, "There I met an old man a-saying of his prayers". This referred to (as you mention) a Catholic, possibly a Priest, praying and the line: "I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs" alluded to the nickname "left-footer", that a Catholic is sometimes called in Britain. The overall meaning was that the Roundhead soldiers were searching out Catholics, particularly Priests, hiding in the houses of friends, and when found they were ill-treated".

From: http://mentalfloss.com/article/55035/dark-origins-11-classic-nurser...

It’s hard to imagine that any rhyme with the phrase “goosey goosey” in its title could be described as anything but feel good. But it’s actually a tale of religious persecution, during the days when Catholic priests would hide themselves in order to say their Latin-based prayers, a major no-no at the time—not even in the privacy of one’s own home. In the original version, the narrator comes upon an old man “who wouldn’t say his prayers. So I took him by his left leg. And threw him down the stairs.” Ouch!

Does this sound like anyone you know (or maybe you)???

Yes, I am a Senior Citizen

1. I'm the life of the party - even if it lasts until 8 pm.
2. I'm very good at opening childproof caps - with a hammer.
3. I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I am going.
4. I’m awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.
5. I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.
6. I'm very good at telling stories; over and over and over and over...
7. I’m aware that other people’s grandchildren are not nearly as cute as mine.
8. I’m so cared for – long term care, eye care, private care, dental care…
9. I’m sure everything I can’t find is in a safe secure place… somewhere.
10. I'm not really grouchy, I just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, lawyers, loud music, unruly kids, barking dogs, politicians and a few other things I can't seem to remember right now.
11. I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.
12. I’m having trouble remembering simple words like…
13. I’m beginning to realize that aging is NOT for wimps!!!
14. I'm sure they are making adults much younger these days, and when did they let kids become policemen? 

15. I'm wondering, if you're only as old as you feel, how could I be alive at 150?
16. And, how can my kids be older than I feel sometimes?
17. I'm a walking storeroom of facts - I've just lost the key to the storeroom door.

Yes, I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN and I think I am having the time of my life???
Now if I could only remember who sent this to me, I wouldn’t send it back to them, --but I would send it to many more!!!

This is a little long, but well worth the time it takes to read... It will make you scratch your head & wonder if your "rememberer is broken" when it comes to history... No, my spell checker isn't broken, this is how it the teachers received them. I'll bet the teachers were surprised @ how what they had taught was remembered!!!

History According to 8th Graders
The following is a history collected by teachers throughout the United States, from eighth grade through college level. Read carefully, and you will learn a lot.
-------------------------------------
The inhabitants of ancient Egypt were called mummies. They lived in the Sarah Dessert and traveled by Camelot. The climate of the Sarah is such that the inhabitants have to live elsewhere, so certain areas of the dessert are cultivated by irritation. The Egyptians built the Pyramids in the shape of a huge triangular cube. The Pyramids are a range of mountains between France and Spain.

The Bible is full of interesting caricatures. In the first book of the Bible, Guinesses, Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree. On of their children, Cain, once asked, Am I my brother's son? God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac on Mount Montezuma. Jacob, son of Isaac, stole his brother's birth mark. Jacob was a patriarch who brought up his twelve sons to be patriarchs, but they did not take it. One of Jacob's sons, Joseph, gave refuse to the Israelites.

Pharaoh forced the Hebrew slaves to make bread without straw. Moses led them to the Red Sea, where they made unleavened bread, which is bread made without any ingredients. Afterwards, Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandments. David was a Hebrew king skilled at playing the liar. He fought with the Philatelists, a race of people who lived in the Biblical times. Soloman, one of David's sons, had 500 wives and 500 porcupines.

Without the Greeks we wouldn't have history. The Greeks invented three kinds of columns - Corinthian, Doric, and Ironic. They also had myths. A myth is a female moth. One myth says that the mother of Achilles dipped him in the River Stynx until he became intollerable. Achilles appears in The Iliad, by Homer. Homer also wrote The Oddity, in which Penelope was the last hardship that Ulysses endured on his journey. Actually, Homer was not written by Homer but by another man of that name.

Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock.

In the Olympic games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled the biscuits, then threw the java. The reward to the victor was a coral wreath. The government of Athens was democratic because people took the law into their own hands. There were no wars in Greece, as the mountains were so high that they couldn't climb over to see what their neighbors were doing. When they fought with the Persians, the Greeks were outnumbered because the Persians had more men. Eventually, the Ramons conquered the Greeks. History calls people Romans because they never stayed in one place for very long. At Roman banquets, the guests wore garlic in their hair. Julius Caesar extinguished himself on the battlefields of Gaul. The Ides of March murdered him because they thought he was going to be made king. Nero was a cruel tyranny who would turture his poor subjects by playing the fiddle to them.

Then came the Middle Ages. King Alfred conquered the Dames. King Arthur lived in the Age of Shivery, King Harold mustarded his troops before the Battle of Hastings, Joan of Arc was canonized by Bernard Shaw, and victims of the Black Death grew b**bs on their necks. Finally, Magna Carta provided that no free man should be hanged twice for the same offense.

In medevil time most of the people were alliterate. The greatest writer of the time was Chaucer, who wrote many poems and versus and also wrote literature. Another tale tells of William Tell, who shot an arrow through an apple while standing on his son's head.

The Renaissance was an age in which more individuals felt the value of their human being. Martin Luther was nailed to the church door at Wittenberg for selling papal indulgences. He died a horrible death, being excommunicated by a bull. It was the painter Donatello's interes in the female nude that made him the father of the Renaissance. It was an age of great inventions and discoveries. Gutenberg invented the Bible. Sir Walter Raleigh is a historical figure because he invented cigarettes. Another important invention was the circulation of blood. Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot clipper.

The government of England was a limited mockery. Henry VIII found walking difficult because he had an abbess on his knee. Queen Elizabeth was the Virgin Queen. As a queen she was a success. When Elizabeth exposed herself before her troops, they all shouted, hurrah. Then her navy went out and defeated the Spanish Armadillo.

The greatest write of the Renaissance was William Shakespear. Shakespear never made much money and is only famous because of his plays. He lived at Windsor with his merry wives, writing tragedies, comedies and errors. In one of Shakespear's famous plays, Hamlet rations out his situation by relieving himself in a long soliloquy. In another, Lady Macbeth tried to convince Macbeth to kill the Kind by attack his manhood. Romeo and Juliet are an example of a heroic couplet. Writing at the same time as Shakespear was Miguel Cervantes. He wrote Donkey Hote. The next great author was John Milton. Milton wrote Paradise Lost. Then his wife died and he wrote Paradise Regained.

During the Renaissance America began. Christopher Columbus was a great navigator who discovered America while cursing about the Atlantic. His ships were called the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Fe. Later, the Pilgrims crossed the Ocean, and this was known as Pilgrims Progress. When they landed at Plymouth Rock, they were greeted by the Indians, who came down the hill rolling their war hoops before them. The Indian squabs carried porpoises on their back. Many of the Indian heroes were killed, along with their cabooses, which proved very fatal for them. The winter of 1620 was a hard one for the settlers. Many people died and many babies were born. Captain John Smith was responsible for all this.

I hope these kids didn't get this information from Wikipedia!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel

"Paper is NOT dead."
Short video regarding electronics and how we don't need paper for so many things, until......................hilarious.

Toooooooo funny!!!! There are some things one just NEEDS to have paper!!!

7. Hickory, Dickory Dock

Hickory dickory dock

The mouse ran up the clock

The clock struck one

The mouse ran down

Hickory dickory dock

Action Rhyme reflected in the words of "Hickory, Dickory Dock."
 A nonsense poem which uses alliteration where children mimic the sound of a clock chiming at the relevant point in the song. Hickory, dickory dock is intended to introduce children to the fundamentals of telling the time. Hickory, dickory dock is also known by another title "Hickory, dickory doc" inevitable perhaps due to the nonsensical nature of the words of Hickory, dickory dock! The first publication date for the "Hickory, dickory dock" rhyme is 1744. Investigation into the meanings of the words used in the rhyme lead us to believe that it has its origins in America.

The Origins of Hickory
: Hickory is derived from the North American Indian word 'pawcohiccora' which is an oily milk-like liquor that is pressed from pounded hickory nuts. The word `Pohickory'' was contained in a list of Virginia trees published in 1653. The word ' Pohickory' was subsequently shortened to `hickory.'

The Origins of Dock
: Dock is a species of plant which has the Latin name of Rumex crispus. A well-known weed which has a long taproot making it difficult to exterminate. The Dock plant can be used as an astringent or tonic and many of us would have experienced the healing properties of the Dock leaf after being stung by a stinging nettle!

Love the paper is not dead video. Keep up the good work. Laughter is the best medicine.

I love Maxine. She has such a unique sense of humor. I hope you enjoy this and chuckle, laugh or groan as you read thru it. My original doc. is pretty long, so will send it in parts. Hugs to all who read this, Pat

Questions from Maxine (Part 1):

Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety-one or oneteen?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea... does that mean that one out of five enjoys it?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Why do croutons come in airtight packages? Aren't they just stale bread to begin with?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If people from Poland are called Poles, then why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who drives a racecar is not called a racist?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP? ?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, then doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Do Lipton Tea employees take 'coffee breaks?'
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use. Toothpicks?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do, write to them? Why don't they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen can look for them while they deliver the mail?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Is it true that you never really learn to swear until you learn to drive?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Whatever happened to Preparations A through G?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
As income tax time approaches, did you ever notice when you put the two words 'The' and 'IRS' together, it spells
'THEIRS'?

Oh Pat - too funny!

I joined the Nutty Genealogist Facebook group. A new person wrote a "thanks for letting me join" message. The page manager wrote back "thanks for joining our nudity group" Oops - either she made a typo, or spell check went a little crazy. I'm sure you can imagine the responses to that one :) First thing I thought of was that it is a good thing we don't Skpe !

Showing 361-390 of 2115 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion