John Rice, of Dedham

Started by Justin Durand on Sunday, March 30, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 961-990 of 1194 posts

Just ignore this Mark: There is no demand for you do anything. I was on this 4 weeks ago and this is the best I can do. FYI: Tudor /Cochrane is a Real connection to me. I have at least 6 to 10 matches on 25 and 37 markers. And so is Ann Hackley to Robsart. That's all this means. We have evidence of the DNA Trail leading to DUDLEY/ and or Phillips. What should I ignore?

I am truely Sorry Mark: I was just trying to keep you abrest of my DNA results as it relates to the search. I can't take back or delete anything so accept my apology...I don't know what you are doing with the information I present. So I speak from ignorance sometimes. OBE?

I saw the OBE reference after I posted. Tancred// Cochrane all 37 matches on the DNA. I am tracking down all of these names so fyi only. DCR

Yawn )-----

so now on geni personal status act aply?
commonwealth dosent aply in evry states of usa ,,does on geni?

Yes, it is possible.

I was just reading a blog that described the militias in New England. They were based on "train bands.". Each town organized a militia, and the citizen / farmer / freemen put in their service time. Think of it more like today's National Guard; a weekend a month, prepared for emergencies. By the time of the Revolutionary War this tradition and organization had a 150 year history. So the militia was "everyone's" service, 16-60 (?), excused for illness and old age of course. But for the Revolutionary War, they served. If they were unfit or Quakers for example, they found other ways to contribute. And the Patent was not Tory territory (neighboring Fishkill was; NYC certainly was). But the Patent was settled by the sons of freemen of New England. You bet they served.

The Vice Pres. of our local Historical Soc, knows everything there is to know about the Mit.is in New England. He is also a reenactor and has had several members at our meetings and did a demonstration for us.

Wm Rice Sr. 1761 served with General Putnam of New York. He was on the ground @ Valley Forge and caught hard measeles, lost his sight, and collected a pension from the Contintental Congress according to Rice Pudding. I saw the award from the V.A. a very long time ago. The name "Old Putt" was used to describe Gerneral Putnam of New York in the volume Rice Pudding. Wm. Rice Sr. was allegedly a Drummer boy. The crossing of the Delaware is part of Rice Pudding too, but there is no way to verify that at the moment.

Another thing to look at for the Beekman Patent sojourn is slave schedules.

I just ran across this (nice unusual name to work with)

ZEBULON ROSS (JOSEPH, JOHN) was born on 25 Aug 1725 in Windham, CT. He died on 4 Oct 1801 in Pawling, NY.

Zebulon Ross Sr. 1790 NY cn Dutchess Co., Pawling 3-0-4- 6 slaves (p.87)

From http://catnip13.tripod.com/Ross.html

It.s not my war (at least, I only know the British side remotely well) but wouldn;t the class of people known as "enlisted men" go on to 1783? In which case Edward Rice could have been an enlisted man - both sides were using teenagers then.

I think it is also just conceivable that William Rice, drummer boy, could have been black. The use of blacks in the Continental Army was of course very inconsistent. George Washington did not like using them (after all, nearly 100% of his slaves ran off to the British, to seek freedom). But on the British side almost all drummers and other musicians were by 1783 African Americans, even in the Hessian Regiments, so the band which played "The World Turned Upside Down: at the surrender in Yorktown was almost all black.

Mark

Zebulon Ross is a connection to Stevens, not Rice except by marriage. Im thinking not many freed black young men age 15 in Dutchess Co. NY 1776 but I am often wrong in such assumptions. There is an interesting side story. Wm. Rice Sr. deneied that he got a pension from Congress, but it's there in black and white, and when he died, his widow received the remainder for her lifetime afterward according to family. Odd, that he was blinded by Measles on the banks of the Potomic, which was the baisis of his pension. Strikes me as odd.

Dale - I don't know that the Ross family & Rice family did not intermarry at all, are you sure? They are both in Windham CT & Dutchess NY.

http://www.geni.com/path/Maud-de-Ros+is+related+to+Samuel-Rice?from...

Over the last two years I have followed every family that connects to the Rices of Nebraska. It seems like the Ross brothers of Ireland should connect, that I went to school with, but I can't find any. Can't say for sure, but I don't know of them

Thanks!

:)

No doubt quite a few good contributions go unrecognized because we all start taking for granted that everyone is working ;)

I joined Find a Grave and made the request.

As a hint: You can make requests on billiongraves.com as well.

Well, I wrote: "a hint", - meaning that it is other sites where you can post photo requests if you don't succeed with your request on find a grave.

I don't yet have a handle on the names of "key" families in town unfortunately; the schoolmaster, the town clerk, the minister (we know); the especially prolific reproducers ...

Dedham was "consciously" organized, they had learned from the other towns some of the models possible. And decided to keep it very simple.

Did the experiment succeed? It's still a lovely place.

This is where I'm researching. It's probably a "nothing" but I have a sniff of a "something.". We'll see.

Thomas Marshall of Boston

Arrived with the Dorchester Company in Boston, 1634, with 130 other Puritans led by Rev John Cotton; a widower with young son. It appears his wife Lydia Marshall & 2 daughters died en route.

I find the name "Angram" curiously similar to the "Agmondesham's" (above - Puritans) and it is also a place name in Suffolk.

The Agmondesham's married into the Smith's of Clopton Hall. I can't place this Smith family as yet but the Clopton family (who may or may not be part of this Clopton Hall) is associated with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Winthrop

And there's a bit more.

Thomas Marshall remarried; his 2nd wife, a widow Willey, has an (unsourced) maiden name of Mason.

As in Robert Mason, of Dedham. ??

I dont know. But it's a something.

OK. Now they called their new town after Dedham, Essex, because that was where John Rogers was a preacher. It's on the border with Suffolk, and that's where most of the early settlers are supposed to have come from. The Thurstons may have been from Norwich.

Mark

All righty! Parents & birth locations for Lydia & Thomas Marshall. Rogers is also a famous Puritan name; we have endless trouble with mixups of wannabe's from John Rogers the martyr & Rogers of the Mayflower (unrelated Rogers).

Thomas Rogers was empowered to keep the ferry. He was a respected fellow.

BTW john Cotton, a noted Puritan Divine, was called before Archbishop Laud's "inspection." He saw the writing on the wall, did not subject himself to questioning, and led this sizable flock to "the city on the hill" (Boston).

Dedham is a daughter colony of Dorchester / Roxbury.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YyFAAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PR81&ots=...

Lincolnshire origins of Exeter Settlers

Thomas Wight is an interesting link, for he was one of the grantees named in the " Wheelwright Deed." The only family of the name I found in Lincolnshire was that of Robert Wight, a clergyman at Hareby, a
parish half-way between Spilsby and Horncastle. Robert Wight had some connection with Alford, for he was a witness to Balthasar Willick's will therein 1598/9, and in 1613 he married there his second wife, Bridget White. The will of Robert Wight and the Hareby transcripts show that he had a son Thomas, baptized 6 Dec. 1607, who may have been the Exeter settler, although proof that he was the Thomas Wight of the Combination has not yet been found.

Bridget Wight

====================

This connection might interest Justin, because now we're getting into the "Apostle to the Indians" family

Reverend John Eliot, "The Indian Apostle"

The Dedham settlers went to litigation with him to get his "praying villages" off the Dedham grant.

I've started a project for Woodstock CT

http://www.geni.com/projects/Early-Settlers-of-Woodstock-Connecticu...

"follow" or "request to collaborate"

First printer in America is here

Elizabeth Dunster

Showing 961-990 of 1194 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion