Ann Price / Bradstreet (Wood) - Ann Wood Bradstreet's daughter is 20 years younger than she?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
3/25/2014 at 8:36 AM

I'm wondering if there is any documentation for the supposed marriage of Ann Bradstreet (born c.1650) to Theodore Price? I can't find any mention of it in anything I've seen. Certainly the daughter is a problem... do any of the 14 profile managers have any information that could help?

Daughter born c.1630

Private User
3/25/2014 at 8:39 AM

Hmm, sorry, couldn't find her Find-A-Grave memorial at first. Have found it now and it is saying that Price was a second marriage - so could the daughter really be a stepdaughter? I think she needs to be disconnected from Ann...

3/25/2014 at 10:18 AM

Can you find anything about the children since your nice About Me does not match the children? I am a 2nd cousin, 9 times removed, to Dudley Bradstreet.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 10:27 AM

I no longer have Ancestry, Hatte, so am sort of handicapped! The About Me write-up matches what I found in the sources listed at the bottom.

I don't know what to do about the "daughter" (Elizabeth Price) currently attached to the tree, that is supposedly 20 years older than her mother, Ann Wood Price Bradstreet...

Private User
3/25/2014 at 10:31 AM

Ann's first husband Theodore Price was born c1643; their putative daughter Elizabeth Barnard was born 1630.

Either she's not theirs, or that's not her correct DOB. I don't know which way to go, though...

3/25/2014 at 10:59 AM

I'll do some digging around. I have both Ancestry and better, a subscription to NEGHS. But often Google Books are sufficient.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 11:02 AM

Thanks! How I would love to be a member of NEGHS, wow. Good tip about Google books, I hadn't thought about that. I'm more used to working with pioneers in the west, where sources are totally different...

3/25/2014 at 11:03 AM

http://books.google.com/books?id=1ZgYZ0Qr1IgC&lpg=PA177&ots...

Married Theodore Price in 1667 in Salem and married Dudley Bradstreet in 1673 in Andover, so if she had a child with Theodore Price, it was in those 8 years.

3/25/2014 at 11:26 AM

Okay, Elizabeth is the daughter of Theodore and Ann. However the dates and marriages for her were all messed up.

Disconnected her from an early Virginia husband, Matthew Price, and gave him his own Elizabeth ------.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 11:30 AM

Awesome, thank you so much!

Private User
3/25/2014 at 11:31 AM

I noticed the MP note - funny, and probably necessary! ;-)

3/25/2014 at 12:36 PM

I'm working on the Price families that were confused -- several from Massachusetts and one from Virginia.

It turns out that Matthew Price of Virginia apparently died unmarried in any case.

Distances were enormous and the two groups of settlers were 99% distinct from different regions and socioeconomic classes. Yet people are always wanting to connect Massachusetts and Connecticut families of the 1600s with Virginia and Maryland families from that era.

Every once in awhile there is actually a familial connection between the two groups, but it's extremely rare.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 12:49 PM

Justin mentioned in another discussion the other day that the two groups didn't really even trade with each other, there were just too many barriers. Very interesting!

3/25/2014 at 1:00 PM

If you read Albion's Seed or the shorter, more accessible book that Ashley alerted me to -- American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard -- you get a picture of how different the different regions / settlers were.

There were old N.E. families where a branch went to the South. I know that Phelps is one of them. But it was somewhat later and even then unusual.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 1:11 PM

I did read Albion's seed several years ago. I need to read it again because it was so dense that not a lot stuck! I should have taken notes. I'll check out your recommendation from Ashley, maybe that will help.

I'd love to have that bigger picture more firmly in mind... I've been reading lately that the South was almost a different country from the very first, as it was settled by very different groups of people for very different reasons, than the NE. Helps explain why we still have such a huge divide today...

3/25/2014 at 1:31 PM

Absolutely, that is one of the points that Colin Woodard makes. I bought the book for my mother who loves it.

There are two things that drive me crazy -- having to continually disconnect early New England families from noble families in England and having to disconnect them from spouses or siblings in Ancient Virginia!

The former is due to 19th century vanity genealogies that families commissioned to show their noble heritage and in the majority of instances the New England settlers were not from noble families.

I didn't really understand myself how distinct the New England and the Virginia settlements were until I started working in these families on Geni and learned more.

Private User
3/25/2014 at 1:41 PM

Just requested a copy of the Woodward book from the library, should have it next week, yay! Thanks for the recommendation.

My problems are much smaller than yours, lol! I get irritated by continually having to correct all the strange things people enter in the "Occupations" field: "No, being a Mayflower passenger is NOT an occupation...", "Neither is executed for witchcraft in the Salem Trials"!

Also bugs me when "USA" shows up in a location field prior to the signing of the Declaration... these are not big issues, I realize! /lol

Private User
7/11/2014 at 3:30 PM

It seems to me that Ann (Price) Wood Bradstreet's surname field should be left as "Bradstreet" since that is the name she used at her death and it is the name on her cenotaph. The name "Ann Wood" should be listed as an aka for her.

Further changes to the profile should be discussed here so as to avoid an edit war among the managers and/or Geni users at large.

7/12/2014 at 8:09 AM

Good point. Thanks for your careful contributions!

Private User
7/12/2014 at 10:07 AM

You're so kind, Hatte! I'm a pedant, I'm afraid. I like to think that genealogy is a good place for someone like me to use their peculiar "talents"... /grin

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion