Reginald Muir of Polkelly - Raghnall Mac Somerled

Started by Mary Susan Newton on Sunday, February 16, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
2/16/2014 at 12:22 PM

Just for everyones information; I made the following discovery - Ranald More of Ireland is the same person as Raghnall Mac Somerled. Raghnall anglicized is Ranald. Mor/More means 'Great' or 'Famous'. They both existed at same time. He married Fonia Moray, Moray = Morey = More = Moore = Mure = Muir. Also, Mora and Moran is same as Muir. It also makes sense that the Muirs were in charge of Central Scotland and that the MacDonalds had their Kingdom on the Western Isles. There you have it. Essentially different branches of same family more or less. Credit to Kieren Boyd Muire

2/16/2014 at 12:29 PM

What's the source for that?

2/16/2014 at 12:31 PM

Reginald Muir of Polkelly is my 28th great grandfather.

Private
2/16/2014 at 4:11 PM

I figured it out then found this; http://www.mundia.com/ca/Person/11703977/12020125258

2/16/2014 at 4:23 PM

We need something closer to a primary source. A very reputable secondary source.

From what I can see on a cursory examination not a single one of the reputable Scottish genealogical collections makes this claim, so I think we need exceptional caution here.

As an example, look at Ronald Williams, The Lords of the Isles: The Clan Donald and the early kingdom of the Scots (1984). It's a very readable history. Raghnall (Ranald) is discussed in detail and there are several genealogy charts showing connections among different clans. This claim of a Muir connection is never made or even hinted.

Private
2/16/2014 at 4:37 PM

The MacDonalds also used the custom of using Mor in their name, the question must be why? They also married into the Scottish Royal line, why did they do so? Were they already from the same bloodline to begin with? The dates round about 1150 to 1200 odd both match up with each other. Mor was used to describe someone that was great, could this Raghnall Mac Somerhairle have been considered 'Great'? Raghnall anglicized is Ranald and Reginald. If Somerled was great, then the likely hood is his son was as well and thus have married a Moray along with the attached Mor became More and thus later Muir going back to the Ancient Irish way of spelling it.

Private
2/16/2014 at 4:44 PM

Perhaps it wasn't hinted of for the very simple reason it would show that the Empire was completely ruled by the same bloodline albeit different strings of it so to speak. One line supports England and the other supports Scotland.

Private
2/16/2014 at 4:52 PM

The McDonalds and MacDonalds (and some of the Donalds) are descendents from King Somerled. King Somerled helped expel the Vikings (Norsemen) from Scotland. King Somerled’s son was Ranald and Ranald’s son was named Donald. The grandson then became Angus Mor McDonald (mac means "son of") Angus’s grandson married MacRorie and became Lordship of the Isles. The McDonalds were the chiefs of that area. Families that sought their protection sometimes took their name too. So it is not inconceivable that some of the Knights Templar bloodlines ended up one way or the other as McDonald. The powerful McDonald of Glencoe lived in Glencoe until the 1692 massacre by the English government against Francis Stewart sympathizers. Francis Stewart was the Grand Master of the witchcraft covens in that area of Scotland. and the McDonalds were supporters of him. Also in the 17th century the McDonalds were forced to participate with others in piracy.

2/16/2014 at 5:02 PM

I'm not a fan of showing theories as fact. Every one of the Highland families had at least one member with the nickname "the Great" (Mor). And why did they marry into the Scottish royal family? Because they ruled a large neighboring principality. You need actual proof for something like this, not just playing the game of anyone can be the same as someone else if you want them to be.

Private
2/16/2014 at 6:07 PM

Hi Justin, just looked at my tree - noticed that there is an Elizabeth Boyd of Bonshaw there, she shouldn't be there. It should be an Elizabeth Stewart, Princess of Scotland

2/16/2014 at 7:25 PM

Yes, I know. This is part of the problem we discussed this morning. There is quite a bit of damage to this area of the tree caused by changing profile names to make them a different person. And, as I said this morning, the repairs are going to take some time.

Private User
2/16/2014 at 8:29 PM

Reginald Muir of Polkelly is your 29th great grandfather.

2/16/2014 at 11:12 PM

Ok I got digging and opened a book.
Elizabeth Boyd of Bonshaw

I went looking.

Christopher "Black Christie"Ervine (Irvine) (of Bonshaw)

Christopher Irving of Cove, Younger of Bonshaw (c. 1540-82)

1566 Margaret, dr of Johnston of that Ilk

The Irvings of Bonsaw
Chiefs of Noble and Ancient Scots Border Family of Irving
Alastair M.T. Maxwell-Irving, B.S., F.S.A. Scot
(of the House of 'Irving od Dumfries')

Genealogy of Irving of Bonsaw
page 26

It was printed as a Genealogy and had links by lines,I typed it from the book.

Christopher Irving of Cove, Younger of Bonshaw
Birth 1540
Death 1582

1566 Married Margaret Johnston,
Dauther of Johnston of that Ilk

The only problem now is that the dates for Niall of the Nine Hostages
Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta are off, on no direct blood link to Christopher is the book wrong now with new information since its pinting in 1968?

The Irvings of Bonsaw

Eochaid XII, Ard Ri of Ireland
I
I
I
Niall of The Nine Hostages, High King of Ireland
Killed C. 438A.D. (Progenitor of the Oldest Recorded Familes in Europe)
I
I
I
(Cineal Conail, Tyrconnel Branch of the Family)
I
I
I
(the Family came over to Dalriada with the Scots in, or after 495A.D.)
I
I
I
Duncan, Hereditary Abthane of Dule & Lay Abbot of Dunkeld;
Earl and Governor of Strathclyde;
1st of Eryvine,Strathclyde. (k. c. 965 A.D.)
I
I
I
Duncan, Abthane of Dule, &c; 2nd of Eryvine;
Mormaer of Athole (d.c. 1000 A.D.)

The Irvings of Bonsaw
Page 25

2/17/2014 at 6:13 PM

If someone wants to assert connections by similarity of names, I'll just note that Somerled is "obviously" derived from the Norse "Sumarlid" (summer meadow), which is used by several people in the Orkney sagas.

Similarity is not identity - sometimes I lament the lack of imagination in names in those times; too many people have very similar-sounding, or even identical, names, without being the same person.

2/17/2014 at 7:58 PM

Yes, and Raghnall becomes Ranald and Reginald. The family of the great Somerled who founded the Kings / Lords of the Isles is well-known. Their lordship was so important to the crown that Lord of the Isles is still one of the titles of the heir to the throne.

Somerled's yDNA signature is also known:
http://dna-project.clan-donald-usa.org/

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion