Henry Sherman, of Dedham & Colchester - Yaxley Connection

Started by Justin Swanstrom on Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
1/8/2014 at 5:32 PM

There is an open letter written by "noted genealogist" Michael Wood that discusses the parents of this Henry Sherman.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.soy...

While I agree with most of Wood's data, his research falls short of a full examination of the evidence. For example, he says, "'Sherman' being an occupational surname, it is quite possible the Yaxley and Dedham families were not even distantly related agnately [sic]."

Yet, arms were recorded in 1660 by one of Henry Sherman's descendants. He is specifically said to be a descendant of the Yaxley family: "He [the descendant] beareth, Argent, a Lyon Rampant, Sable, between three Holly leaves, Proper, by the name of Sherman, of this family as Samuel, John, and Edmund, sons of Samuel Sherman of Dedham in Essex, originally extracted from Yaxley in Suffolk, which Edmund Sherman being of London Merchant hath marryed Jane Daughter of John Wall of Bromley, by Jane Daughter and Heire of Sayer." [Guillim, A Display of Heraldrie, 189.] The crest of the Shearmans of Dedham was "a demi-lion rampant Sable." Their motto was the same as the Yaxley family: "Virtute mortem vincere" [Conquer death by virtue].

1/8/2014 at 8:07 PM

My ears perked up upon hearing "Sherman". I see that the Shermans married Livermores and then the Livermores went and married Shermans a few generations later. This is in Massachusetts. I wonder if the Sherman - Livermore connection started in Dedham or in MA.

1/8/2014 at 8:09 PM

Oh by the way, the family of Sara Ann Whitney was also running around with the Shermans.

1/8/2014 at 8:25 PM

I'm just itching to jump in a start slashing and burning here, but probably best to let someone else take the lead. I'm supposed to be working on other things.

Erica Howton, are you paying attention?

1/8/2014 at 8:52 PM

Agnes Sherman was wife of Henry Sherman, of Dedham & Colchester, but also wife of Henry Rolfe, Ill, of Wiltshire. I think Henry Rolfe's wife was Lucy (but not from Dedham). Not sure about that. Agnes, wife of Henry Sherman, was not Agnes Butter. Her maiden name is unknown.

Thomas Butter, of Dedham should be Thomas Butter, ancestry unknown. He married Joane Butter, but her maiden name is unknown. All the other wives here belong to a Thomas Butler, son of Piers Butler, 8th Earl of Ormond and Margaret Butler, Countess Ormonde. The About Me has information about both Thomases.

Joane Butter with dates at Dedham was not daughter of Sir Edward Sutton, 2nd Baron Dudley and Cecily Sutton. Maybe they had a daughter Joan, and if so she might have married Thomas Butler (not Thomas Butter). Would have to look up that one.

Everything here that is wrong can be found in many Internet trees, but it's all nonsense. It confuses quite a few people in order to give a very illustrious ancestry to a fairly humble immigrant.

1/8/2014 at 9:00 PM

Oops, the above should say that Agnes was NOT also wife of Henry Rolfe, III.

Private User
1/8/2014 at 9:12 PM

OMG Justin. Thanks for that! I was just in the tree about an hour ago looking at stuff. What a mess!

1/8/2014 at 9:16 PM

I totally would love other people to hack apart & rebuild this tree. I'm not even related & also I'm hot on the trail of Emily Dickinson's heart throb.

Private User
1/8/2014 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, the Pocahontas line was a wreck a moment ago. Someone had John Rolfe's DUPLICATE children with the wrong woman.

Private User
1/8/2014 at 9:31 PM

Also, there was a wrong generation of John Rolfe married to Pocahontas. I got to their part of the tree by hacking around in the Butler/Rolfe tree.

1/8/2014 at 9:32 PM

Mimi, sounds like you're on top of it. Thanks!

Erica, I got the idea you might have it on your list only because you mentioned some of the problems to Dale Rice on another thread. I've been fidgeting ever since ;)

1/8/2014 at 11:22 PM

I've hated that "Agnes Lucy" mess for a couple of years now. I think I contributed the "Sherman" warning - and got her away from tobacco man. And the 2 Honor Rolfe's.

1/8/2014 at 11:24 PM

Mimi feel free to take back curating Pocahantas. She's inexplicably got 200 or so managers - quite interesting for someone with one known surviving son ... :):)

1/8/2014 at 11:24 PM

Shoulda asked me, Erica. I spent a couple years on the Shermans. Never looked at it on Geni until you mentioned it to Dale. One look was all it took.

1/8/2014 at 11:35 PM

*sigh* there's always so much to do ...

But here's what inspired ""The Hearts in Amherst - ache - tonight":

Samuel Bowles III
http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000015226519442?album_type=photo...

1/9/2014 at 7:48 AM

I admit to being chicken to venture beyond the Great Migration to England. Occasionally I do, when there are good sources, but often there is a mess like this and/or insufficient sources. Johnson is another family where the Internet sources are wrong and parents are unknown, but I have had to detach Captain John Johnson from the wrong (but illustrious) parents multiple times.

6/9/2021 at 12:15 PM

Can we remove the parents of this Thomas Butter as Justin suggested back in 2014? There is no viable link to the Earl of Ormond, Piers Butler.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion