Started by Private User on Monday, November 11, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 119 posts
Private User
11/11/2013 at 5:19 AM

I've added a new big feature to HistoryLink. Ancestor Graph - a 10 generation graph to focus your research!
http://historylink.herokuapp.com/graph

Ancestor Graph can build a 10 generation interactive graph to help you identify areas to focus your research. It is based on the excellent desktop visualization tool iSeeTrees (http://www.geni.com/projects/Complete-ancestors-trees-iSeeTrees/11399). Along with easily showing you the gaps in your tree, it will identify duplicate ancestors (pedigree collapse) via color. In addition, it provides options for viewing the status of the profiles (Claimed Profile, Private Profile, Public Profile, Master Profile, Problem Profile), Gender, and Location (Country of Birth, State/Region of Birth, Country of Death, State/Region of Death). You can see information as you hover over the profiles to include name, dates and location. You can zoom in on any ancestor or open the profile in a new tab. Save the graph as a image or a Adobe PDF!

Let me know if you have any feedback. Enjoy!

11/11/2013 at 7:53 AM

I love the idea, but not quite sure how this works? I did it, and see the graph, but not sure where gaps are, or where the options for viewing are..love HIstory Link tho!!

11/11/2013 at 7:58 AM

Tho I will say I LOVE the History Search.....it finds relatives before I've seen them :)

11/11/2013 at 9:05 AM

I think I've died and gone to heaven, it's so much fun.

11/11/2013 at 9:18 AM

Hi, Kristin! If you don't mind a bit of interpretation of the Ancestor Graph:

The "Grouping" selection shows that you have no 'duplicate' ancestors (e.g.: which might happen from cousins marrying) -- only one color shows. It is also clear that you have no link to your father (and thus nothing beyond that). You only have one branch that goes beyond generation 8.

The "Status" option shows that all of your ancestor profiles are currently private out to the 4th-Great's (which is Geni's current default), and that Rebecca & Samuel Tupper and her parents have been made Master Profiles.

The "Gender" selection is typically rather obvious, but sometimes I find that there are branches that tend to focus more on one (e.g.: the female ancestors), and thus I can use this to focus further research on the other gender of those branches.

The 4th option (Country / State-Region selection) is a good place to identify where the basic birth/death location information is incomplete (which will show as grey); holding the 'X' key and clicking on such a grey-segment will bring up that profile for you to look at in more detail. It can also be helpful to see where one person might be mis-located.

If you let the cursor 'hover' over a sector, brief "vitals" are shown. As noted above, 'X'-click will bring up the profile in a different tab/window, while a simple 'click' will re-center the graph on that person selected.

The options on the right, of course, just display the names in each sector (which can get pretty obscure past the 3rd or 4th generation!).

11/11/2013 at 9:24 AM

Don't forget to try putting a different person at the 'center' of the graph.

For example, copy the URL of a child, a spouse, or a sibling, and then paste it into the box after clicking the "Change Focus Person" (the little icon by the current 'focus' person's name, e.g.: yourself, by default).

Private User
11/11/2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for the great explanation Dan. I expect at some point, we'd all love to have a completely filled in graph. So the blank areas are those "gaps" we need to research for your ancestry, each of which could lead to more famous or historical profiles. :)

11/11/2013 at 9:42 AM

What I noticed again was that it uses a subset of the projects (which is fine), but I'd be interested in what the criteria are for the projects it uses.

I really really love both apps.

11/11/2013 at 10:01 AM

re: the Projects (a.k.a. History Search)

The Ancestor Graph has nothing to do with Geni Projects; that's History Search (the original focus of the HistoryLink web site!). See the HistoryLink project or (more directly), the place where you add projects to HistoryLink Search here (http://historylink.herokuapp.com/history) and here (http://historylink.herokuapp.com/projects); be patient and that latter page will show all the currently-searched Geni Projects.

11/11/2013 at 10:56 AM

got it now, ty :) it allowed me to add some places of birth too, thanks :)

11/11/2013 at 6:48 PM

FYI: I updated the Description for this project to include some of this information, so you can simply refer folks to the Project, instead of having to try to find the 'right' discussion page.

Private User
11/11/2013 at 7:12 PM

Nice - Thanks :)

Private User
11/11/2013 at 10:52 PM

Oh, I lovelovelove this! (the Ancestor Graph) I can't imagine a more useful tool, because I'm a total genealogical flibbity-jibbit. I can't ever remember from one day to the next what I was working on, so although I do a lot of work I'm never sure how much progress I'm making. This provides a road map and I can't thank you enough! So very cool to see just what I need to do next, wahoo!

(I think I used up my total day's allotment of exclamations... very pleased with new toy.)

Private User
11/11/2013 at 10:53 PM

Tool. I meant tool, not toy.

:-)

11/11/2013 at 10:55 PM

No, you meant toy. :):)

11/11/2013 at 11:14 PM

Thank you, Jeff. You are really transforming our 'work' to play...! I agree with Sharon - this must be heaven.

11/12/2013 at 2:13 AM

flibbity-jibbit......I think that's what I'm going to call my wife from now on......Flibbity-Jibbit

11/12/2013 at 3:58 PM

I already was inspired to find additional ancestors I had overlooked, using Jeff's toy (I mean tool)!

Private User
11/12/2013 at 6:39 PM

Love it! quite a good way to visualize the state of origin for my ancestors. Thanks!

Private User
11/14/2013 at 9:09 AM

Private User It's great! Quite a few of us posted and were discussing them on Facebook :))

11/14/2013 at 10:07 AM

@Wendi where on fb?

Private User
11/14/2013 at 10:37 AM

Randy Schoenberg posted his and then i posted mine saying it was more colorful. there wasn't really an in depth convo about them.

11/16/2013 at 6:59 AM

I mean is there a fb group? or was it just on the Geni fb pags?

Private User
11/16/2013 at 4:30 PM

Kristin Felicia VanNest neither it was just a random posting.

Private User
11/17/2013 at 9:06 AM

I've add an option to Ancestor Graph for viewing descendants. Check it out. :)

John Smith
11/17/2013 at 11:10 AM

Private User
Just wondering . . .how long should we expect to wait (on average) for the Ancestor Graph to finish Researching on the 10 Generation setting during the build process?

John Smith
11/17/2013 at 12:05 PM

Private User
Also curious to know if there are preferred account settings when using this function . . .do privacy settings affect the ability of HistoryLink to compile ancestors? My in-process 10 Gen chart seems to stick and spin on the 4th Generation for a long time and then time out.

Private User
11/17/2013 at 1:01 PM

John Smith, you hit a bug that I accidentally introduced this week. I've fixed it and it should run without issue now. Sorry for the problem.

Private User
11/17/2013 at 1:14 PM

Identifying that bug leads to an odd situation. A query to the API for Margaret Lichty Witmer produces 3 parents, instead of the two that are listed. It also includes Henry B Shirk, which is a deleted profile. So my graph shows this as a parent conflict, even though when you look at the Geni tree, it shows only two parents. A disconnect between the API query I guess.

John Smith
11/17/2013 at 1:24 PM

It worked just fine this time through.
Did you develop this app? It is even better than the praise it has received would imply.
I remember Mary being part of a complex merge, and Henry as being an existing profile. Perhaps the possible disconnect is simply a matter of updated information lagging behind? I have noticed that some changes and additions aren't updated until days later.

Showing 1-30 of 119 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion