Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby - Nov 1, 1455 - Marriage: Edmund TUDOR and Margaret BEAUFORT

Started by Kristin Felicia VanNest on Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
11/5/2013 at 7:54 AM

. Edmund Tudor, was the half-brother of King Henry VI as they had the same mother Catherine of Valois. In 1452 Lady Margaret Beaufort, the nine-year-old daughter of the Duke of Somerset was summoned to the court of her second cousin, King Henry VI and the following year Edmund was granted wardship. On 1 November 1455 at Bletsoe Castle, she was married to Edmund. By the end of the following November, he was dead, leaving his 13-year-old widow pregnant with the future King Henry VII.

The Wars of the Roses had begun and Edmund (a Lancastrian) was captured by Yorkist partisan William Herbert in mid-1456. Herbert imprisoned him at Carmarthen Castle in South Wales, where he died of the plague on either 1 or 3 November 1456.
Edmund's only child, the future Henry VII, was born at Pembroke Castle, almost three months after his death. Margaret, being only 13 years old never had another child

Private User
11/5/2013 at 8:25 AM

@Margaret Beaufort is my 3rd cousin 17 times removed Judy Rice

11/5/2013 at 9:07 AM

That's wonderful information Kristin: I visited Carew CAstle last Sept, and Pembroke was just around the Corner so to speak....The Tudors are quite a tangled family with descendents on the Non Royal side populating the USA, and many Gardiner family's trace back to Helen, Jsaper's Daughter....fyi I always thought Edmund was killed...so good info indeed!! Thanks DCR1948

11/5/2013 at 11:33 AM

Margaret Beaufort and Edmund Tudor are my 17th great grandparents through one line, and my 15th great grandparents through another.

11/5/2013 at 1:00 PM

I am not related to her, but I am related to her daughter in law, Elizabeth, who married her son Henry, she is my 2nd cousin 16x R. Her great grandfather Richard Neville, is my 16th GGF.

Private User
11/5/2013 at 1:55 PM

Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby is your second cousin 17 times removed.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion