Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson - 31st Great Grandfather

Started by Private User on Monday, October 28, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 631-660 of 792 posts

The solution is so simple: a simple database check. The Geni could use the same behavior that FamilySearch uses! When someone adds a name that is already in use in another profile, FamilySearch asks if the person being added and the existing profile are the same person! Thereafter, of course, you can say "no" and add another profile with the same name. But at least the user was alerted!

I am afread that the users already knows ot is there 😀

In my opinion, Master profiles should be more protected once right, seems they are more vulnerable than normal ones, and wonder what the incentive is to MP. Just a thought :)

Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson is your 33rd great grandfather. :)

Shaz,

The profile for Ragnar which is designated as MP has every field locked, meaning only Curators can make any change to him (including merging).

I would say this is likely causing more trouble than it helps, Ragnar's profile certainly seems to have more issues than other similarly popular profiles.

Note also that the duplicate profile for Ragnar which i linked the other day in this Discussion was created only a few months ago by a Curator would could not possibly be unaware that there already exists a profile for Ragnar. The same curator also created many duplicates for Ragnar's immediate family for no obvious reason.

A strange way for the curatorial "team" to be collaborating and hardly beneficial to Geni's reputation for quality (but on the other hand it helped with reaching the 100 million profile milestone!)

Following on ...

Someone then merged the duplicate of Ragnar's son, Sigurd, to the MP of that son resulting in him having 2 sets of parents and creating a tree conflict. A helpful user (not sure if same person as did merge) resolved the data conflict by severing the relationship between MP Ragnar and his son in favour of the non-MP Ragnar.

Considering the amount of activity in this part of the tree by Curators and Pros both the condition is still terribly disappointing.

I think the main problem with duplicated branches like that is language and naming, my ancestors names change often, depending on the country of origin of the managers. Some names do not even resemble each other.

My keyboard doesn't even have half the letters that some use. But a rose they say :)

Not sure what the answer is, efficiency is the aim, in my opinion.

PS. Followed a line back from Australia the other day Smallpiece>Smalpiece>Smalpis>Smalpes>Smalpiere 1600'ds Were they French?

As a traditionalist, I like original names from area of origin, I can copy if paste them :) Saying is another matter sometimes.

It really is a never ending loop and on this you are right it Alex it does seem strange that another curator have added this.

There is a lot too be cleaned up now.

However I believe the big interest right now is because the Viking series is due to start up again. The same prosedure as last year. In danger of qouting a Old comedy.

I understand your point, there is usually a similar increase of fake profiles dedicated to Game Of Thrones when each new series is released but i am not sure why such a thing should happen with Ragnar.

The Game of Thrones profiles are not usually connected to the World Tree and get deleted (eventually) as they are fakes but Raganr is "real", he is connected to the Tree, he is an MP, he is easy to find. Why do people persist with making duplicates?

I think that many(?) duplicates might be by people who think Geni is like MyHeritage and they need to build their "own" tree, which is not a problem specific to Ragnar. The only other explanation i can think of is that people are frustrated by not being able to edit the profile because it is locked so tight and they do not realise that there is an opportunity to join in the several discussion threads that exist.

I suppose a third theory is that some people simply don't agree with how the MP profile is presented and rather than discuss the issue, or just leave it alone, they instead make their own version. I'm not sure if strictly speaking against Geni's T&Cs but it certainly does not match the One Person One Profile principle.

I think it is not wickedness of users. It's just ignorance. As Alex said, many people think that Geni works as MyHeritage. But is ignorance that causes the most of the confusion. I also don't know many things on Geni! People do not read the "User's Guide". The fact of Geni to be a web browser-based system encourages users to go by clicking on the screen without him take care to know how it works.

THe locking was agreed upon because people keept on editing to their own liking. I believe Alex you were a part of that.
Disconecting new children that know one had never heard of every week. Some even a´had a little edit war going on. So the lock is on as the lesser evil.

Sorry Anette, your recollection is incorrect. The profile was locked before i ever came across it, i have only ever been able to make changes by suggesting/asking for them in this discussion.

Also as demonstrated this week it is still possible for a PRO to disconnect children.

PS: The locking does not stop people adding children to him... Not really a child of Ragnar :) :)

That's funny Curley :)

Actually I do not remember wrong. WE did discuss it. But will not argue with you about it.
IF you want it so badly open then I can just do so and youcan have your fun with it.
FIne with me.

Let's take it easy! Like everyone here, I have an account in other genealogy systems. I think the fact that there are MP and curators here taking care of these MP and of the serious people here made me to adopt the Geni as my main system. I am in favor of the MP are locked to prevent errors. What Alex said is very sad! Know that a curator did this mistake made me a little insecure. I still insist in FamilySearch mechanism! With an adaptation: If the existing profile is an MP, Geni database should not add in any way a new profile with the same name (primary key). If the user add a child to an MP, he will receive an alert. Similarly, if the user to connect another profile to an MP. I believe that becoming a profile in MP, it is an attribute in any column of the database. So it should not be difficult to be developed.

You are absolutely right Sandro. No need to get worked up. Thankyou for saying that.

Sandro, Tree Match is not real time as you create a new profile but it can take as little as a minute to pop-up a notification.

http://help.geni.com/entries/20041572-How-To-Use-Tree-Matches

Logically you would think if a profile was !IMPORTANT and historic, with a CURATOR that it should be a serious profile.

That ONLY the curator could edit it, like in a museum in a glass case. Yet mostly they are free for all and take precedence in a merge. That fact alone makes it MORE important to always have fields correct and protected from tampering.

Is my view :)

Anette, I'm here to help! If possible!

Thanks for the link Alex! It was very helpful! I confess I used Tree Matches only a couple of times! So that you check my lack of experience, my Mergers Center shows 316 matches to be resolved. Of course, 99% of them were inherited from other users when profiles were linked. Tree Matches is good! But not enough. The mechanism has to be foolproof! For dummies (And I include myself in that!)! FamilySearch mechanism acts at the instant of addition of the profile. It's instant! It's good!

The curators of Brazil have created a topic just to get my ideas. Thus, it was extended to also get ideas from other people! So far nothing has been welcomed, but some of my ideas were implemented in FamilySearch!

Just concluding, I have not found many people like you in FamilySearch. And there are no curators to care for profiles. They have a good mechanism but there are no people to ensure the profiles. MyHeritage has increble tools but It has not seduced me! So I like most of Geni. People here are more important to me than the software.

Hello all relatives. Ragnar is my 39th great-grandfather. Best wishes from Finland (Kvenland).

Thankyou Sandro and that is a very good ideer😀 i would love to here more about it so we get it started up right. Point me in the direction and we will get it up and running 😊

Anette, I'll try to write a conceptual model, but will not be a logical modeling because I do not know the Geni database structure. When it is ready I will send thee. Then the Geni analysts can verify that their implementation is possible.

That sounds good to me. THen OI am sure someone can make the adaptions

Thankyou

I would just like to send me some PrtSc (or step-by-step) of the procedure to make a profile as MP. So I can try to understand how this happens internally in the system.

Do not worry! You need not show passwords, internal accounts, etc. Only the basic steps so that I understand the process!

Only curators can mark a profile as a Master Profile, so it is useless to show you as a none-curator how.

New curators get a link to a document showing and explaining most curator tools and a lot of do and don't advice's.

What does the way Master Profiles are created have to do with improving the Tree Match process?

Did a post get deleted?

Showing 631-660 of 792 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion