Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson - 31st Great Grandfather

Started by Private User on Monday, October 28, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 601-630 of 792 posts

I wouldn't mind but won't get to it till morning. If the job gets snapped up by somebody I'd be ok with that, too.

This seems like a toxic one. The relationships don't fit.
Anyone merging should feel VERY comfortable with cutting relationships for which there is no evidence.

(And no, I won't get to it today either).

Please guys dont touch it. I dot want to have to clean the profile again.!

I will take a look at it.

I found it due to looking at Ragnar's wife Thora and her father Herrauðr who is a son of Ring.

Isn't Ragnar supposed to be a grandson of Ring? Or is there more than one king named Ring?

Either way Herrauðr's profile could do with some extra detail.

Anette Guldager Boye -- I will leave it for you.

Ring occurs sometimes as a name, sometimes as a nickname, at several places in the tree. Herrauðr is a much more unusual name.

Thora seems to be the most common name used when an 18th century genealogist invents a wife for a viking. Pretty sad.

Ragnar's About has accumulated via merges a lot of extra text on the end, including an entire repetition of the MP's About. Considering only Curators can merge this profile or edit it's About could one of you please remove everything below the hyperlinks t the bottom of the MP's about.

I have been trying to develop a habit of making a ============== at the end of my Abouts so that in future it is easy to recognise where to cull added material.

Also regarding the hyperlinks two of them are still incorrectly formatted, one is not working as a hyperlink at all because the address does not start with http and the other seems to have had the end cut off.

Again. Well yes I will make a spring cleaning for the 100 time

Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson is my 36th great grandfather.

Ragnar Lodbrog being my 31st Great Grandfather - well, it gives me (a Faroese, Danish Belgian) the feeling of continuing history. I regularly here in Belgium hear how brutal and destructive the Vikings were. Well, I have to admit: I belong to their bloodline. It comforts me a bit to hear that the Viking raids were because this father of theirs was killed first, but I'm glad that Christianity came to Scandinavia and taught people to turn the other cheek and forgive.

Elvira Six Tausen proving that the saga figure Ragnar Lodbrog is your 31st great grandfather is impossible because there are no provable sources linking back to him, and since the sources mentioning him, are mentioning him almost 400 years after he supposedly lived makes it not trustworthy.

Of course you have viking ancestry in Belgium, but how are you going to prove that your ancestry comes from Ragnar or some other viking named viking belonging to the viking raids into Netherland, Belgium and Francve during this timeperiod.

Well, actually it's 30th! I don't really mind if it's not 100 % proven. It stirs my imagination and I love story- telling! Guess I have that in common with my ancestors. I won't be the one to prove it one way or the other - just enjoy what other people find out. I love the feeling of being part of the line of parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. etc. and try to pass this love on to my own children.

Good afternoon, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what this translates into English for me please, as I keep seeing it coming up in my tree, and wondered what it meant? 'Kongsbóndi'
Thank you in advance.

Private User the literal translation is "farmer of the King". I believe it was used as a title for the farmer who was in charge of one of the king's farms, but it's unwise to guess without a specific profile to look at, since the usage of the term may vary with time and place.

I think it is pretty much used this through out time as Harald states here

thank you very much Harald Tveit Alvestrand and Anette Guldager Boye, it's very much appreciated. xx

But such a great story, it is fun to be part of it. I agree that there should be a "fictional character" marking.
And, GENI can link me to the same person several different ways, but as Erica says, I like finding the link between cousins. Most of the less than 20th seem to be provable. Hope to link up with you-all some day.

I'm just shaking my head.

Another day, another copy of Ragnar.
The MP is here: Ragnar 'Lodbrok' Sigurdsson King of Denmark and Norway

what a super 37th great grandpa. please dont kill him! good ole grandpa Ragnar. wish i could go on a viking with him.....no, really...we would "visit", um...Guernsy! yeah.

Don't forget, If a viking was successful, he would end up as a farmer...

The best thing about raid Guernsy in particular is that it levies no capital gains, inheritance, capital transfer, value added (VAT / TVA) or general withholding taxes!!

>;)

Restored Sigurd to his proper Ragnar. I'll let Anette as Ragnar's curator deal with merging in the alternate Ragnar - I guess it will require some care!

I was just looking at the numbers of copies made of Ragnar. I just have to say. If they have all to be merged in and cleaned I will be doing nothing else for the next week.
Could people in general just stop making copies of well know profiles and just ask to be added as manager.?
I will do it in the time I have,but really!!!1

If it would help any PRO user can merge all the duplicates into one profile and then you would then just have to merge that one profile into your locked MP.

That would help. It would be easier to clean up one profile insteed of 20.

Other users can request the merge, and then it's fairly quick to approve them. More work to cut away the chaff around them afterwards, of course - but again, anyone can do that *before* the merge.

It's only an issue with locked profiles, which is why I use locking rarely.

On this one we do not have a choice when it comes to locking. Before it was locked the Profile had to be cleaned up every week. WHen I started out to clean it Ragnar had far more than dobbel as many children.
Many more wifes as well.

It seems to be one of those profiles. At least now I know when someone wants to put on something on the profile.

Showing 601-630 of 792 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion