Roger de Mortimer, 6th Baron of Wigmore - on this day (oct 27th) Sir Roger de MORTIMER, 6th Lord Wigmore...

Started by Kristin Felicia VanNest on Sunday, October 27, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
10/27/2013 at 8:10 AM

Oct 27, 1282 – Sir Roger de MORTIMER, 6th Lord Wigmore died. He was first cousin to Llewelyn ap Gruffudd as they were both grandsons of Llewelyn Fawr. However, Roger was an English lord and Llewelyn the last great Prince of Wales. This war would continue intermittently until the death of both Roger and Llywelyn in 1282. They fought one another their entire lives.

When Prince Edward (future Edward I) was being held captive by Simon de Montfort, it was Roger Mortimer who contrived the plan and furnished the swift horse, by means of which the Prince escaped from Hereford Castle. Mortimer fought for the King against the rebel Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, and almost lost his life in 1264 at the Battle of Lewes fighting Montfort's men. In 1265 Mortimer's wife, Maud de Braose helped rescue Prince Edward; and Mortimer and the Prince made an alliance against de Montfort. Prince Edward came to Wigmore to Mortimer, where he and Roger de Clifford rode out to meet him and drove off the prince's pursuers.

At Evesham he commanded the rear guard of the Prince's forces on 4 August 1256 and after the battle, Montfort's head was sent to Mortimer's wife. Also, in 1256 Roger went to war with Llywelyn ap Gruffydd when the latter invaded his lordship of Gwrtheyrnion or Rhayader.

He died at about age 50, being in harness unto the end.

Private User
10/27/2013 at 10:32 AM

I think all the above are my 21 Great Grandparents!!!! After reading Lady of Hay & There be Dragons??? I traced all of Wm III DeBraose & Maud "Matilda" St Valery's kids and I was descended from 4-6 of them Yikes. Then traced all the signer of the Magna Carta and was related to half of them including King John Lackland

10/27/2013 at 11:05 AM

What splendid Summary of the Mortimer -DeMonfort conflict....That is absolutely inspiring, and I am delighted to see the heirs of such persons here at GENI Ms. Guerin....Wonderful postings!!! I salute! DCR 1948

10/27/2013 at 1:49 PM

Roger is my 22nd great grandfather, Llewelyn ap Gruffudd is my 22nd great uncle., his father, Gruffudd ap Gwenwynwyn de la Pole is my 22nd great grandfather., and his mother Hawise le Strange is my 22nd great grandmother.

10/27/2013 at 2:31 PM

Then we are cousins: Morton to Eastman to Rice 6th great Aunt to your direct line....I am only one year into my research and heard the name of Mortimer as the Duke of March mentioned only once in my lifetime just before my mother passed at age 96 in 2006....How lucky we are to have this marvelous site and program to use for our searches....Kind Regards Kristin you are lovely to see here...DCR 1948

10/27/2013 at 2:46 PM

Dale C. Rice is your first cousin 6 times removed's wife's great aunt's husband's fifth great nephew. LOL I love when geni does that hehe....my line ends with the Morton's to Tupper's (Polly Eastman was married to Silas Tupper)

10/27/2013 at 4:05 PM

YEs that's the one....The relational stuff is priceless sometimes! DCR

Private User
10/28/2013 at 6:16 PM

That's a great bio, very interesting! He's my 20th GGF; I am also descended from the whole cast of characters, which explains why many of my ancestors were rebellious soldiers :)

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion