Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
10/18/2013 at 1:47 AM

I think I am a descendant of this man. I am very confused as to where he was born & was originally from. Since my info has come from different internet sites & they do not all agree, I am confused. Several say he was born in Brigend, Maybole Parish, Aryshire, Scotland. One site/discussion said there is no such place, so I looked at some maps for Scotland. Sure enough Brigend is on the Isle of Islay and Maybole is on the coast between Girvan and Ayr which are on the coast of the Firth of Clyde. There is a finger of land between Maybole & the Island of Islay which is in the county of Argyllshire, Scotland. The children i have listed in my system agree with what Geni has.

I also have him (from 1 site) as being a Major (http://deepsouthernroots.familytreeguide.com/getperson.php?personID...) This site mentions his name as being John & that he came to America between 1720-1740 & settled near Newark, Delaware.

Here is another site: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dhowe/montgomery.html
Lists all 26+ generations prior to this generation: Generation 27 William of America of Brigend Montgomery -- this site says he was born about 1650 in Brigend, Maybole Parish, Ayrshire, Scotland; and died in Abt 1721  Scotland.

I am connected to Alexander Montgomery Sr (my 6th great grandfather) and am pretty sure of the chain to him, but am searching to find where he came from. I do have that his father (William) was married to Isobel of Lenthentie Burnett, Scotland (b. abt 1665; d 1750 in Maybole, Ayshire, Scotland).

Can anyone help me with this next generation???
Angels be with you,
Pat

Private
10/18/2013 at 2:41 AM

Patricia Ann Scoggin thanks for finding me a another ancestor! this is a 9th cousin 10 times removed I know nothing about.. sorry I can't be of more help.. michael...

Private
10/18/2013 at 2:44 AM

Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scots my connection to him is thru here..

10/18/2013 at 3:05 AM

I didn't include the Geni Site for John William Montgomery. Hope those who see & respond will be able to find him. Just in case you need his profile site, here it is: William Montgomery

Sorry, folks.
Pat

Private User
10/18/2013 at 5:40 AM

Something does seem to be a little strange in this area! Especially for being Major's and Captain's in the military. Should be all kinds of records to go by.

10/19/2013 at 2:04 AM

I am going to work on his son Alexander Sr's (1705) profile & connections for the time being, but will continue to look for info on John William Montgomery, Capt. and will appreciate any & all comments & input about (John) William.
I didn't have the name John initially connected to William so it is taking me a little time to get used to referring to him as such... I did find one reference that mentions "aka John" William.

The info in (John) William's "About" section seems to be about at least 2 different people...

Private User
10/19/2013 at 6:16 AM

@ww.geni.com/people/John-William-Montgomery/6000000003741183654is my 11th cousin 9 times removed Judy Rice

Private User
10/19/2013 at 6:18 AM

@Joan Beaufort, Queen of Scotsis mu 2nd cousin 18 times removed Judy Rice

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion