Colonel Richard "the Immigrant" Lee I - What Y-DNA says about him

Started by Private User on Thursday, September 12, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing all 10 posts
Private User
9/12/2013 at 8:06 PM

Col. Richard "the Immigrant" Lee is the progenitor (in the US) of the "Stratford Hall" line of Lees. His verified descendants have apparently not been very cooperative in providing Y-DNA samples - the Lee DNA Surname Project lists only three tests on his line. Two of them trace back to him (and diverge slightly, but still to a 95% match) - the third, which falls squarely in between the other two, traces back to Charles Carter Lee (brother of Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA and therefore *also* a descendant of Richard "the Immigrant" Lee). http://leedna.com/dnaresults.php?id=36

The tested Y-DNA haplotype is I1a, and apparently includes some unique significators - because in over 350 additional Y-DNA tests, there have been no other matches close enough to indicate direct-line descent.

There are some possible collateral lines from significantly further back: the lines of James Leigh/Lee of Bath, NC (three lines, 78-81% matches), Jehu Lee of Buckingham County, VA (eight lines, 76-79% matches), Sir John Lea, Esq. (five lines, 69-79% matches), James B. Lee of Chester, SC (four lines, 72-74% matches) and, most notably, John Lee of Nansemond (over 30 lines, but no better than a 64% match - if there's a male-line connection there, it must go back pretty far into the BCs).

9/13/2013 at 8:52 AM

Documentation thrumps DNA - and the Lee DNA project has many flaws.

Private User
9/13/2013 at 10:09 AM

WHICH "Lee DNA project"? There are now at least two of them, one being run (badly) by FamilyTreeDNA.com (whose test results are nevertheless industry standard), and one being run (selfishly) by Ancestry.com.

The "Lee DNA Surname Project" merely collects data from all available sources and organizes it - whoever runs their website is a database wizard, as they have put together a sortable chart that tells you who (the data say) is related to whom, with what percentage of match, and which family group (if any) they belong to. In some cases there are links out to additional information, and/or an email contact for the person providing the sample.

Unfortunately I have had just enough experience with *bad* documentation to take issue with that axiom. Bad documentation is just like bad data - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

9/13/2013 at 11:17 AM

Maven - my name is "Jacqueli". And you might have intellectual arguements, but you are not being clear on sufficiant proof, and are speculating your opinion based on non-facts. There is alot more to the proof and documentation than based on one researcher, and the DNA project has flaws. I am not even going to give your arguements creedance at this time, unless your can prove that the individuals tested and that the DNA tested against, WAS in fact a documented proven Lee descendant or ancestor. SO far, the project has been lacking in this being the case. I don't know what your real name is, as far as being a Lee researcher, it is a very complicated lineage - but you insult many Lee descendants by your non-descript generalization that more are not Lee's than those who are - that is VERY wrong for you to state. You are not an expert on nor should you speak on others behalf without knowledge of what or whom you are eliminating. The elitist attitude on the behalve of Lee family members is getting quite tiring and borish. And the arguements to take the focus off the truth and to confuse are getting old.

Private User
9/13/2013 at 11:28 AM

Please don't cut and paste, it's boring and annoying.

9/13/2013 at 11:52 AM

Applause.

10/21/2013 at 9:13 AM

Between vicky paulson and Jacqueli Finley

Forward
Delete
Mute
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

vicky paulson

Today at 5:35 AM

I'm not sure who Maven is, but I can address the subject. The DNA tests, now 10 years old, were on descendants of Charles Lee, who married Ann Dabbs, and descendants of a Capt. John Lee. Neither are found as descendants of William Lee, so they only prove they are not Lee desendants, form the "famous" Lee tree, and prove nothing, concerning William Lee. If you go to Family Tree DNA, you will see the correct descendants have been tested, and ARE related. I went back to Ann Lee Hanks, returning to Rockingham, after the death of Joseph Hanks. Rockingham was taken from Orange County, and bingo, found William's descendants. You really have to study the histories of these counties, to find people! I then went to Richmond, and the county they were suppose to be in, and found marriage licenses, and christenings at North Farnham Parish, and very clearly see Charles Lee married Jane! How did they get there? Went to Edmond Jennings 2nd book, or as the Society called it, his renditions, and when the three boys of William I sued Richard, the Scholar, to regain their inheritance, he gave them property and money. The property is from Richard Lee the Immigrant's first property, by Paradise, which then would be located in Richmond County, by North Farnham Parish. The Hanks and Lee's were neighbors there. Both the Lee's and Hanks moved to the Northern Banks, after the Indian uprising. Some of the issues arise by interchanging Feldon, with Felton, as you can find both families existed. Alice Feldon was a widow, and Mary was born 3 years before her marriage to William Lee. Richard the Scholar would have reason to sue, as she was not a Lee, as would the Society's rejection of her descendants. Dorothy Taylor's 2 children also adopted the Lee surname. One has to realize these facts, for proper DNA testing. William's son, John, was not a Capt., in any branch of service. William and Dorothy Taylor Lee's son did serve in the Army, and died as a private, and was buried by his surgeon, and is recorded in the Revolutionary War records. so whoever this Capt. John Lee was, he wasn't any relative of William Lee!

8/18/2015 at 8:05 PM

Hi Maven, just a couple of things wrong in the master profile for Richard Henry Lee I 1618. Place of Burial is at Dividing Creek. He was born in Nordley Regis, Coton Hall, Coton, Shropshire, England. Thanks, Ginette Lee

8/18/2015 at 8:05 PM

Hi Maven, just a couple of things wrong in the master profile for Richard Henry Lee I 1618. Place of Burial is at Dividing Creek. He was born in Nordley Regis, Coton Hall, Coton, Shropshire, England. Thanks, Ginette Lee

Private User
8/18/2015 at 9:30 PM

Ginette, please take this to GeniMail IMMEDIATELY before you ignite a new Flame War!

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion