Shem / שם / سام . - Shem

Started by Michael Wayne McDermott on Thursday, September 5, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
9/5/2013 at 10:23 AM

Shem is my 64th GrGrandfather, the Queen also shares this line. How many people in the world accend from this line? There are over 7.5 Billion people in the world today.

Private User
9/5/2013 at 10:32 AM

That far back in time, it would be literally everyone on earth. So regardless of whether the path is accurate, you and everyone else descend from him if he was indeed a real person with children.

9/5/2013 at 4:15 PM

Shem / שם / سام . is my 66th great grandfather.

9/6/2013 at 4:45 PM

Shem / שם / سام . is my 66th great grandfather. It's a real stretch to claim that everyone in the world descends from Shem. I feel a more accurate estimate would be around one third of the world's population could possibly trace their linage back to Shem. There was a greater survival rate from the great flood up and beyond Noah, and his family. One example of this expanded survival can be found in the "Epic of Gilgamesh".

9/6/2013 at 5:02 PM

Especialy since there was only a few people left after the flood just one family the family of Noah! Interestinng to think of !
Shem / שם / سام . is my 66th great grandfather.

Private User
9/6/2013 at 5:41 PM

The story of the flood is allegorical in nature - it's not a literal historical event. While there may be some correlation to the flood noted in the 'Epic of Gilgamesh', historians and archaeologists truly have no idea if there is any correlation to a physical event.

The best we can say, regardless of creed, is that Shem is noted in an ancient text, he had sons and daughters, and we argue over the meaning of Shem's existence.

Hope that helps,

J

11/30/2016 at 3:55 PM

Shem is my 118th great grand father.

2/12/2021 at 1:47 PM

Husband of Eliakim; Sedeqetelebab .; 11 Nahalath Mahnuk; Nora; 11 Olla; 11 Cata Rechta and 11 Parsia

If only 8 people were on the ark, where did Shem get all these wives?

Shalom Laurie Lynn Brockbank,
you are absolutely right! The problem here is that there are multiple sources about his wives and those of his brothers, Ham & Yaphet. So I've started a project, "Biblical Tree - Wives of Noah's Ark
" (see link). But it still needs more work. Other issues became more urgent. :-(

https://www.geni.com/projects/Biblical-Tree-Wives-of-Noah-s-Ark/206...

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion