Tore Teiande Ragnvaldsson Mørejarl (Mœrajarl), þegjanda - Translation? Is this another son of Ragnvald that Medlands doesn't know about?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, September 2, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
9/2/2013 at 7:00 AM

Can someone help me with the translation on this profile? Is this another son of Ragnvald that Medlands doesn't know about http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/NORWEGIAN%20NOBILITY.htm#Ragnvalddi...?

Private User Private User Justin Durand

Private User
9/2/2013 at 7:14 AM

?
Tore is listed in Medlands.

9/2/2013 at 7:29 AM

Thore?

9/2/2013 at 7:38 AM

Yes, Thore = Tore.

9/2/2013 at 8:14 AM

Sorry, I suppose that was obvious. I was worried that he might be an aka for Torf Einar - so didn't see the obvious staring me in the face. Thanks for confirming anyway

Private User
9/2/2013 at 8:31 AM

Why did you rename the profile disrespecting the curators choices?

9/2/2013 at 9:40 AM

Bjorn, you know very well my intention was no disrespect. I spend a lot of my time carefully maintaining Anne's naming choices because they are so accurate.

But, as I was brought to this line today by a user's confused query, and as the Norwegian 'About Me' does not help English users to automatically check that 'Tore Teiande' is 'Thore' not 'Torf Einar',
and as this site has more English than other users - it seems pretty useful to add in 'Thore' to the naming field.

Changing the Display name was my way of not messing with the profile's actual naming. I did spend some time trying to figure out what would be the best way to do it, and I remain very happy if you have a better way of including 'Thore' in the naming to avoid mis merges. .

A Curator note would do the job too. But as that would have usurped Anne altogether, I thought I'd leave it to her to do once she'd seen the discussion.

Private User
9/2/2013 at 9:50 AM

So it is OK for you if we rename Dutch profiles to English - using the same argument?

9/2/2013 at 9:56 AM

Thore is the medieval naming too, so your point doesn't hold.

9/2/2013 at 9:58 AM

If you're going have that argument, let's take it out of this niche and into a discussion where we can have a spirited debate about naming.

9/2/2013 at 10:01 AM

:-) Good idea

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion