British monarchs Y-DNA

Started by David Widerberg Howden on Saturday, August 17, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
8/17/2013 at 10:15 AM
8/17/2013 at 1:10 PM

Fantastic article, David. We need to link this one from several other project pages as well.

8/17/2013 at 3:00 PM

I thought so, Very interesting. Found also this: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/25236-Haplogroups-of-European-...

8/22/2013 at 8:19 AM

Very good reading.

4/23/2014 at 9:36 AM

And not just Canute and the English kings buried at Winchester Cathedral, but now also Eric IX Jedvardsson "Saint Erik" King of Sweden from Sweden:

http://www.thelocal.se/20140423/scientists-to-pluck-crown-from-dead...

4/23/2014 at 2:10 PM

Interesting ;) Hoping they discover something interesting..

4/23/2014 at 2:17 PM

There is a man who claims paternal descent from Erik Christoffersen Løvenbalk, Prins, illegitimate son of Christopher II, King of Denmark. I don't know if his claim can be verified, but until now it's been the closest I've seen to the old Scandinavian kings. It will be very exciting if they can get yDNA from either Eric of Sweden or Gorm of Denmark.

4/23/2014 at 2:34 PM

Hej undskyld jeg spørger men hvad handler debatten om :)

4/23/2014 at 2:37 PM

Cecilia, experts can tell whether two men are related by comparing their y chromosomes. For genealogists, it's exciting to get test results from ancient skeletons because they might have modern day relatives.

Private User
4/23/2014 at 2:49 PM

What about women DNA, is there tests for that as well?

4/23/2014 at 2:53 PM

I have actully called a company and womans dna is harder then men cause men have a special chromosone but i know with men you can only check from men to men not woman and mens

Private User
4/23/2014 at 3:15 PM

Hmm, that's a shame, but then again, mothers have more proof, but in so many English records, only the mothers first name has been mentioned.

4/24/2014 at 6:19 AM

Well, I have used DNA to find relatives, and its exciting to be able to confirm relationships.

Y-DNA: Can prove that you belong to the same paternal line (fathers-fathers..) This test can only be used by males.. To further prove relationships you need to test at a level of minimum 67 or even 111 (And also markers called SNPs).

mt-DNA: Can prove that you belong to the same maternal line (mothers-mothers). Can be used by both men and women.

Autosomal-DNA: Can prove closer relationships across all lines (all ancestors). Can be used by both men and women.

X-DNA: Can help you sort out where your autosomal and maternal matches belongs.. Males inherit only X from their mother, but women inherit X from both parents: http://www.smgf.org/education/animations/x_chromosome.jspx

In many norwegian sources only the father is known, and some baptisms it just says "Jons sønn døpt.." (Jons son baptized..), but it also happens that only the mother is mentioned (cases where the child was born outside marriage, without known father..).

One main difference that I experienced is that in english/norwegian records many parents are known as "Alice and Robert Sewell of Wymondham", the mothers name is Alice but no clue as who she was daughter of, and there could be more than one Robert Sewell in Wymondham. But in Norway it usually could say "Anna Rasmusdatter og Erik Jørgensen, Brekke".

In the norwegian example I then know that Anna was daughter of a Rasmus and Erik was son of a Jørgen, they lived on the farm Brekke where the child was born (one of the parents was usually from this farm..).

But back to the issue of DNA..

4/24/2014 at 11:09 AM

Dna test use FamilyTreeDNA in USA. https://www.familytreedna.com/
Det finnes tester som heter mtDNA (kun kvinner) Y-DNA (kun menn) FamilyFinder (både menn og kvinner).

4/24/2014 at 11:15 AM

FamilyFinder match Grimsgaard FamilyTreeDNA .

4/24/2014 at 11:16 AM

Maybe relative to you David.

Private User
4/24/2014 at 2:40 PM

I want to have a DNA test done, maybe I can also get my brothers to do it.

4/24/2014 at 8:04 PM

I have used familytreedna and are very pleased with the results ;)
The familyfinder test is the most interesting so far..
Vidar: I will send you a message.

5/27/2014 at 4:49 AM

I was wondering what is the price for a dna i have found some different prices but not in denmark

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion