Duncan III, King of Scots - Immediat decendants of Donnchad mac Mail Colium

Started by Private User on Saturday, August 3, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
8/3/2013 at 6:24 PM

I am trying to find more information on Culuert mac Donnchad. I have a rough copy of a Latin land document (dated 1095) executed by Duncan and witnessed by Culuert son of Duncan. My mothers' family name is Culbertson and claims direct descent from the original Culuert. According to family history, When Duncan was murdered, Culuert went to Northern Scotland along with the Duncan, Malcolm and Keith families. And took along with him what is purportedly the Royal Seal of Duncan mac Crinin which had been passed on to him. It is a round cornered rectangular amethyst, finished flat on top and bottom, about .5" by .75" and .375" thick. On top it is carved intaglio with a blue bell thistle centered and surrounded by the words AE GOODTURN DESERVS ANITHER. The seal has been passed down through the Culbertson family to this day. Some time during the mid1800s the stone was mounted in an historically correct gold ring setting.

If anyone has come across anything in your researches I would appreciate hearing about it.

Private User
8/3/2013 at 6:41 PM

@"Duncan 111,King of Scots-Immediat decendants of Donnch" is my 1st cousin 26 times removed Judy Rice

He's my 30th great uncle

Private User
8/3/2013 at 8:07 PM

Duncan III, King of Scots is your 27th great uncle.

Private User
8/3/2013 at 8:59 PM

My grandfather, Berryman Keith Culbertson, had three daughters and the oldest, Katherine my mother, passed the ring on to me, being the only son. I have four children, including a son. My younger daughter and son continue to consider changing their last name to Culbertson, legally, to continue the passage of the seal/ring. I can't imagine it would be the first time it passed through the female part of the family, with some name adjusting.

The ring/seal is amazing looking, and I'll post it later. when you lay it face down on a scanner, it is like seeing it in person. In one of my business nadirs, I was creative director of The Franklin Mint jewelry advertising, and I had to refuse to let them reproduce it very often and very hard.

Judy and Mauro, do you have any Malcolm, Duncan or Keith oldsters?

I've noticed that different references use different given names for the same people during this period. Was this from then or English names added later, or what?

Private User
8/3/2013 at 9:12 PM

hE MY 26th great uncle

Private User
8/3/2013 at 9:17 PM

That is so cool I keep my eyes open hope we find something Good Luck!

8/3/2013 at 10:15 PM

25th great uncle - there's probably a couple of missing generations closer to me I should look at.

I am psyched to see this artifact, it sounds amazing.

Lets dig up some good scholarly references for Keith about the "multiple names for the same person" we run into particularly in Scots lines.

8/4/2013 at 9:05 AM

Duncan III is my 31st ggf, but as far as knowing anything about the family history, I don't. My grandfather was a Campbell, and his family was nobility back in Scotland, and intermarried with all the royal families up to the time of James IV.

I look forward to seeing the royal seal. I would also love to see a copy of the deed.

8/7/2013 at 11:09 AM

he is my 30th great grandfather - Duncan II, King of Scots

i'll see what i can find out about this:
Culuert mac Donnchad.
Latin land document (dated 1095)
executed by Duncan and witnessed by Culuert son of Duncan.
My mothers' family name is Culbertson
and claims direct descent from the original Culuert.
According to family history,
When Duncan was murdered,
Culuert went to Northern Scotland along with the Duncan, Malcolm
and Keith families.
And took along with him what is purportedly
The Royal Seal of Duncan mac Crinin which had been passed on to him.
It is a round cornered rectangular amethyst,
finished flat on top and bottom,
about .5" by .75" and .375" thick.
On top it is carved intaglio with a blue bell thistle centered
and surrounded by the words
AE GOODTURN DESERVS ANITHER.
The seal has been passed down
through the Culbertson family to this day.
Some time during the mid1800s
the stone was mounted in an historically correct gold ring setting.

This sounds really interesting - thanks for sharing your story Keith

8/7/2013 at 12:12 PM

Duncan appears to be my 28th great grandfather and 25th great grand uncle.

Stirnet's "Atholl1" page (http://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/aa/atholl1.php#top) does not mention Culuert, but I did find mention of him at http://culbertsonmansion.net/History/genealogy.htm and http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lesa&....

Private User
8/8/2013 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for the find. My references (including a copy of the Deed) to this and more, are still buried since recently moving. My recall had it mixed a bit. The 1097 date was probably what year the scribe thought it was? It would have to be while King Malcolm, his son Duncan (not King yet), and Duncan's son Culuert were all still alive. Just before things went all British.

8/8/2013 at 2:43 PM

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_III_of_Scotland), Malcolm died on 13 November 1093, so it must have been before then if it was during Malcolm's lifetime.

Private User
8/9/2013 at 10:33 AM

Here is a mash up of some current, but different versions of the same thing. Or are they? Dates often seem to be within five to ten years in variance.

King Malcolm II = Irish wife unknown.
Bethoc = Crinan
= Earl Siguard of Orkney
= Findlaech Mormaer of Moray

Crinan - Duncan I, mac Crinan. B.1001 D.1040
Earl Siguard of Orkney - Earl Thorfinn of Orkney, B.1009 D.1057
Findlaech Mormaer of Moray - MacBeth, B.1005 D.1057

Duncan I - Malcolm III - Duncan III. Is there a King Duncan II in this somewhere?

How could Bethoc and Findlaech's son, MacBeth, be born before Bethoc and Earl Siguard's son, Thorfinn?

Many very important people seem to be documented by only one piece of historical reference, which probably had the local version of what year it was, by the new languages and methods of reckoning.

8/19/2013 at 6:03 PM

Private User, from where did you get those dates?

Private User
8/19/2013 at 7:07 PM
6/26/2014 at 10:41 AM

Goofed on the tagging again! I guess it should've been Private User.

Private User
6/27/2014 at 10:15 PM

Duncan II, King of Scots is my 24th great grandfathe

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion