• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-113 of 113 posts

Erica Howton

Wonder if you could look at this situation and tell me what you think? I know you are familiar with geographic locations and would like your opinion on the following scenario.

I think this Seton family could possibly have gone by Winton surname in Ireland and America?
Says they are FROM: Scotland, TO: Ireland, AND settled in Johnstown, Pennsylvania which is where my 6th and 7th grandfathers are found in the area! I think this James Seaton's "SON B"... Could be my Lieutenant. John Winton of the Pennsylvania Militia, whose son William was Constable of Dublin Township, Selling his land Pioneer Deed Huntingdon County Right next door to Johnstown, Pennsylvania on the map. All the names of this family James, John, William, George, Alexander are all repeating names in my family and this particular area of settlement is the right area! This family looks to be Military and Preachers as well, "fitting my family perfectly".
I would love to know where the rest of the descendants from this James Seaton directly afterwards are found. I also see the McClellan surname marrying to others in this family. This McClellan surname is believed to have been connected with some of my earliest great grandmothers.

(3) James Seaton, (b. c. 1686, d.17??), he was born in Edinburgh and was later settled into what was known as 'Dranity' in Co. Tyrone. He became involved in the Linen manufacturing in Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland before emigrating from Ireland to Amherst, New Hampshire, U.S.A. circa 1727.
m. Martha (surname unknown), they had 12 children, all boys.
(A) First Sergeant Alexander Seaton, like his brother's George and Thomas, he also fought in the Revolutionary War, under Layfayette's division. He settled with his brothers in Johnstown, Westmoreland Co. PA.
m. unknown

***(B) John Seaton Lieut. John Winton
m. unknown

Son= William Winton, Sr.
m. Elizabeth McClellan ?

Son= James Winton, Sr. m.Cynthia "Sukie" Winton (Copeland)

(C) James Seaton
m. unknown
(D) Captain George Seaton. He married in Ireland and they emigrated to America and settled in the Ligonier Valley, near Greensburg, and like his father had 12 children. He fought in the Revolutionary War, under Layfayette's division, and later settled in Westmoreland Co. and became well-to-do. After the death of his first wife Nancy Amberson, George married for his second wife Martha Ausstraw, a widow, whose maiden name was Martha James, daughter of Henry James, of Coimty, Derry, where Martha was born. By her George Seaton had two sons — David, bom in 1802, and Alexander White Seaton, born in 1804.
m1st. Nancy Amberson, dau of Francis Amberson. Her family were Lutheran, and so they eloped and came to America.
(i) Doctor John Seaton. He married, and died in Washington, D.C.
m. unknown
(a) issue Seaton
m.
(ii) William Seaton, he was a preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church
m. Jane Huston
(iii) Robert M. Seaton, he was a tanner ; had two sons and died in the West.
m. unknown
(a) son Seaton
m.
(b) son Seaton
m.
(iv) Thomas Seaton (b.1778, d.1841). He was born in Co. Tyrone, Ireland and died at Franklin, Venango Co., Pennsylvania.
m. Elizabeth (Betsy) Mavis (b.1792, d.1852)
(a) Robert Seaton
m.
(b) Jackson Seaton
m.
(c) Margaret Seaton (b.1815, d.1911)
m. Robert Lamberton (b.1809, d.1885)
(v) Jackson Seaton, he had a large family, all married, and living in Franklin and other places in the Keystone State.
m. unknown
(a) issue Seaton +
m.
(vi) George Seaton, Jr.; became a hatter, and married a Miss Maher, They had seven children, only one of whom appears in notes, Jane Seaton, who in 1816 married a Mr. Morrow, of Altoona, PA
m. Miss Maher
(a) issue Seaton 6+
m.
(b) Jane Seaton
m. Mr. Morrow of Altoona, PA
(vii) Amberson Seaton, he learned the tailor trade. He married, and died in Steubenville, Ohio, his wife dying within a few minutes after her husband. They had an only child and son, Edward, who had an only daughter.
m. Kathern Delana Sandford
(a) Edward (Eddie) Amberson Seaton (b.1862, d.1944)
m. Edna Isabella Henry
((1)) Flora Mae Seaton
m. Mr. Robertson
(viii) Elizabeth Seaton, died age 12.
(ix) Jane Seaton
m. Robert Jackson
(x) Mary Seaton (also called 'Polly')
m. Mr. Alexander
(xi) Nancy Seaton
m. Mr. McClellan

http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/directory/Descents/pitmedden_li...

Possible family of the Winton surname??

Sir Alexander Seton of Pitmeddan, Baronet

Ian, can you explain more about your thinking? A Seton / Winton connection seems very likely, but I haven't followed closely enough to know where you are with it right now. What is it about this guy that makes him an attractive candidate?

Justin Durand

My thinking is with the information directly above this comment. The Seton family of Pitmedden, Looks to migrate to the exact area of Pennsylvania as the records of My John Winton and his Son William Winton. I am thinking that this could definitely be the same families according to geographic location, and the relationship between the Seton and Winton surnames. I also believe that when this family left Scotland that they went to Northern Ireland and then to the same area of Pennsylvania where my Winton family is found. There is also mention of the McClellan family which is thought rto have tied in and believed to have been my 6th and 7th great Grandmothers!! I need help completing the ties of this family since they reached America and Pennsylvania and marrying with the McClellan family!!

If you google Johnstown, Pennsylvania to Dublin, Township Pennsylvania where my 6th Great Grandfather was Constable of you will see that this area is within an hour of each other and very close to the settlement of the McClellan family who had adjoining farms with my Winton family.

John & Mary McClellan Winton

Coming in the great Scots-Irish migration in the first half of the 18th Century, John Winton sailed from Londonderry in Ulster, Northern Ireland and arrived in the American Quaker colony of Pennsylvania sometime after 1740.

In 1743, John and his wife Mary McClellan, along with his McClellan in-laws, filed claims for adjoining farms east of modern-day Mercersberg, Pa.

Soon after his arrival, in 1747, John was elected by his neighbors to serve as a lieutenant in the first civilian militias mustered by the Penn brothers to defend against Native American clashes that led to the French-Indian War. He served alongside John Irwinton,

and Dr. Hugh Mercer - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2677&...,

the ancestors of President Benjamin Harrison and General George S. Patton.

John died about 1766-67. Mary later moved in with her McClellan relatives. Their oldest son William moved 38 miles northwest across the Appalachians to Turkey Hill in Shades Valley in 1770.

William, following in his father's footsteps, served in the frontier militia during the American Revolution, defending the homefront against attacks from the British and their Native American allies.
Lieut. John Winton
William Winton, Sr.

(3) James Seaton, (b. c. 1686, d.17??), he was born in Edinburgh and was later settled into what was known as 'Dranity' in Co. Tyrone. He became involved in the Linen manufacturing in Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland before emigrating from Ireland to Amherst, New Hampshire, U.S.A. circa 1727.
m. Martha (surname unknown), they had 12 children, all boys.
(A) First Sergeant Alexander Seaton, like his brother's George and Thomas, he also fought in the Revolutionary War, under Layfayette's division. He settled with his brothers in Johnstown, Westmoreland Co. PA.
m. unknown

Ian, I think I"m understanding the argument from geographic location but not seeing more than that. That's an interesting supporting piece, but the drawback is that every Scottish-Irish family in Pennsylvania came from Scotland through Ireland.

So, I'm really asking for something a bit more than that. Why would this Seton change his name to Winton but only after he came to Pennsylvania? Do you have anything that would tie the different McClellans together into the same family, or for now just the same surname? How well-supported is the link between the New Hampshire family and the Pennsylvania family?

Distance between from Johnstown, PA to Mercersburg, PA

(40.3267656, -78.92195200000003) - (39.8278805, -77.90297679999998)

How many miles? 83 Miles / 134 Km
How many hours? 1 hour 45 mins

Trying to find a map or screen-shot to show on here but ain't got it figured out yet!! ;)

Not sure the Seton ever changed his name?? He may have been a Seton and of the Winton branch of the enormous Seton family. Or it could have been because of the rebellion that took place and forfeited all the land and fled to Northern Ireland?? Just saying this is the closest information of the Seton-Winton family that I have seen yet settling in the same geographic locations!!! I am sure with some research and looking in this direction that we could possibly find the answer!!

http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/cadets/The_Modern_Cadets.htm

Branches of the Seton family:
Edmonstone
Falside
Gordon
Montgomerie
Oliphant
Tytler
Winton

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZNJVAAAAcAAJ&pg=PT85&dq=se...

The boy unmarked is the 4th son Sir Seton The title of Earl of Winton was bestowed on Robert seventh Lord Seton in Nov 16oo but the picture is by anticipation styled the ***Winton family****!

Scroll up in the link provided to see the portrait of "THE WINTON FAMILY".

Not exactly sure which Seton of Pitmedden it was, However one of them was raised by the Earl of Winton because I think his father John "Bonnie" Seton was killed on the bridge in Battle. This could be the reason for the Winton surname.

A. John Seton, 3rd of Pitmedden (d. 1639), he was known as "Bonnie John Seton". He died at the Bridge of Dee, carrying the Royal Standard in his hands, and was buried with military honours by the Earl of Montrose.
m. (1633) Elizabeth Johnstone (dau of Sir Samuel Johnstone, 1st Bart of Elphinstone), she married 2nd the Earl of Hartfell.
i. James Seton, 4th of Pitmedden (d 1667, sp.), he was raised by ******George, 3rd Earl of Winton**********

http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/directory/Descents/pitmedden_li...

This explanation would explain how the Winton family is so common around the Aberdeen area in the North of Scotland, While the Winton Castle or Winton House rather is located in Southern Scotland close to the English border!! ;)

This path of the family of Winton is really close to my... Family of Winton.

You

Winton
your father

Steve M. Winton
his father

Claude Winton
his father

Stephen "S.M." Mordykey Winton
his father

Gilbert Winton
his father

Stephen Winton
his father

James Winton, Sr.
his father

William Winton, Jr.
his brother

Catherine Winton
his wife

Mary Denton
her mother

James Claypool, Sr.
her father

James Claypoole
his father

Helena Claypoole
his mother

Elizabeth Mercer
her mother

Margaret Kennedy (Hay), Countess of Cassillis
her mother

William Hay, 10th Earl of Erroll
her father

Lady Anne Seton (Hay)
his sister

George Seton, 3rd Earl of Winton
her husband

Sir John Seton of Garleton, 1st Baronet
his son

Sir George Seton of Garletoun, 2nd Baronet
his son

Sir George Seton of Garletoun, 2nd Baronet

http://www.geni.com/path/Ian-Winton+is+related+to+Sir-George-Seton-...

This line looks to be a straight shot to me except for a few lost generations?

Alexander II Setoun de Wintoun, Knight is your 6th great aunt's 6th great aunt's husband's 17th great uncle.

You

Winton
your father

Steve M. Winton
his father

Claude Winton
his father

Stephen "S.M." Mordykey Winton
his father

Gilbert Winton
his father

Stephen Winton
his father

James Winton, Sr.
his father

William Winton, Jr.
his brother

Catherine Winton
his wife

Mary Denton
her mother

James Claypool, Sr.
her father

James Claypoole
his father

Helena Claypoole
his mother

Elizabeth Mercer
her mother

Margaret Kennedy (Hay), Countess of Cassillis
her mother

William Hay, 10th Earl of Erroll
her father

Lady Anne Seton (Hay)
his sister

George Seton, 3rd Earl of Winton
her husband

Robert Seton, 1st Earl of Winton
his father

George Seton, 7th Lord Seton
his father

George Seton, 6th Lord Seton
his father

George Seton, 3rd Lord Seton
his father

Sir George Seton, 2nd Lord Seton
his father

John Seton, Master of Seton
his father

George Seton, 1st Lord Seton
his father

Sir William Seton of Seton
his father

Sir John Seton, 2nd Lord Seton
his father

Sir William de Seton, 1st Lord Seton
his father

Margaret de Seton, heiress of Seton
his mother

Sir Alexander IV Seton, Knight
her father

Sir Alexander de Seton, Knight
his father

Sir Christopher de Seton, Knight
his father

Sir Christopher de Seton
his father

Sir Christell de Seton
his father

Adam de Seton
his father

Alexander de Seton
his father

Philip de Seton
his father

Alexander II Setoun de Wintoun, Knight
his son

http://www.geni.com/path/Ian-Winton+is+related+to+Alexander-II-Seto...

Timothy Winton.... I went to trinity college in dublin to look for wintons. I was reffered to edinburgh scottland to a site where there was a plaque commemorating the wintons and the whartons who were burned at the stake for translating bibles from latin to middle english

June 17 at 2:08pm · Like

In the process of tidying my family tree up so what, but once its done I think you all may find it useful.

The folks of Scotland picked an Awesome name for these vacation spots!! wink emoticon

Fabulous Wintonhill farmhouse sleeping up to 14 people in 6 bedrooms, and the five star Winton Cottage, sleeping up to 12 people in 5 bedrooms. Only 1/2 an hour from Edinburgh city centre Set on the beautiful Winton estate

Very well appointed and comfortable, and only 20 minutes form Edinburgh by car or train, it makes an ideal base for the wide range of active and passive pursuits available in the area.

Wintonhill Farmhouse is one of the largest self-catering houses in East Lothian.

The farmhouse has:
6 bedrooms - sleeping 12-14
large farmhouse kitchen with range cooker
Games room with playstation, CD player and good selection of board games
Utility room
Sitting room with open fire
Dining room seating up to 16 and even a piano
It has extensive gardens with plenty of parking space, patio, BBQ area and walled orchard ideal for football.

Winton Cottage is a historic 5 star self-catering property, which was onvce the Laird's house and is set in a quiet corner of the estate. It is fully modernised but retains an abundance of character.

The Cottage has:
5 Bedrooms, sleeping 10 -12 people
5 New modernised bathrooms
Modern fully fitted bathroom, all with showers and 2 with baths as well
Dining room seating up to 12 & patio doors leading into the garden
Games room complete with pool table, plasma screen TV with freeview, DVD player & DC system with surround sound
Car parking for 20 cars
Huge sunny south facing garden with plenty of space for entertaining: a BBQ area, sand pit, herb garden and Summer house

www.visitscotland.com

visitscotland.com

Closest to Seton de Winton decent I can get because I don't know who my 8th great grandfather is. 12-25-1015.
Alan de Wyntoun of Seton is your 14th great uncle's 10th great grandfather.

You

Winton
your father

Frances Inez Winton
his mother

Rev. Lawrence Reed
her father

James "Jim" H. Reed
his father

Rachel M. Reed
his mother

Obadiah McBee
her father

Eleanor "Nelly" "Ellen" McBee
his mother

Mary "Polly" Standridge (Wallace)
her mother

Elizabeth Wallace
her mother

Elizabeth Campbell
her mother

John Alexander Walker, II
her father

Jane McKnight
his mother

Jane Alexander
her mother

James Alexander
her father

Mary Hamilton Alexander
his mother

Anne Montgomerie
her sister

Hugh Montgomerie, 7th Earl of Eglinton
her husband

Alexander Montgomerie, 6th Earl of Eglinton
his father

Robert Seton, 1st Earl of Winton
his father

George Seton, 7th Lord Seton
his father

George Seton, 6th Lord Seton
his father

George Seton, 3rd Lord Seton
his father

Sir George Seton, 2nd Lord Seton
his father

John Seton, Master of Seton
his father

George Seton, 1st Lord Seton
his father

Sir William Seton of Seton
his father

Sir John Seton, 2nd Lord Seton
his father

Sir William de Seton, 1st Lord Seton
his father

Alan de Wyntoun of Seton
his father

This path is really close too. Alexander de Seton is your 11th great grandfather's wife's great grandson.

You

Winton
your father

Frances Inez Winton
his mother

Rev. Lawrence Reed
her father

James "Jim" H. Reed
his father

Rachel M. Reed
his mother

Obadiah McBee
her father

Eleanor "Nelly" "Ellen" McBee
his mother

Mary "Polly" Standridge (Wallace)
her mother

James Wallace, I
her father

John Wallace
his father

Adam Wallace of Riccarton, Laird of Riccarton
his father

Sir Richard Wallace, Knight
his father

Adam Wallace, Laird of Riccarton
his father

Euphemia Stewart
his wife

Agnes de Seton
her daughter

Sir Alexander de Seton, Knight
her son

Alexander de Seton
his son

Alan de Wyntoun of Seton is your 19th great grandfather.
You
→ Winton
your father → Frances Inez Winton
his mother → Rev. Lawrence Reed
her father → James "Jim" H. Reed
his father → Rachel M. Reed
his mother → Obadiah McBee
her father → Eleanor "Nelly" "Ellen" McBee
his mother → Mary "Polly" Standridge (Wallace)
her mother → James Wallace, I
her father → John Wallace
his father → Adam Wallace of Riccarton, Laird of Riccarton
his father → Helen Bruce
his mother → Robert Bruce, Lord Broomhall
her father → Sir George Bruce
his father → Sir Edward Bruce of Blairhall and Easter Kennet
his father → Janet (Jean) Blackadder
his mother → Sir Patrick Blackadder of Tulliallan
her father → Elizabeth Johnston, of The Ilk
his mother → Janet Dunbar of March
her mother → Lady Christina Dunbar,Countess Dunbar