• Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 113 posts

OK So from all my research of this Seton de Winton family, I can see that there is going to be on thing for certain.

From Philip stems the family of Winton, and in the style of the times, his son took as their family name that of their estate.

So as I follow who seems to have the estates of Winton I start with the very first. The de Quincey Heiress and daughter of Earl of Winton.

Next their son Alexander was the proprietor of Seton and Winton in East Lothian and of Winchburgh in Linlithgowshire.

Next of course his son Phillip, because history states the family of Winton stems from his son.

The only son I can find with the title of Winton...Adam de Polwarth, Knight, had the lands of Beith given him from Sir Alex- ander Seatoun of Wintoun, in frank marriage with Eva his sister.

Next where I find the Winton Estates....Source= http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/directory/Descents/early_seton_... Sir John de Seton (who held the manor of Seton in Whitby Strand, Yorkshire, and the estate of Winton). He, in a donation of Robert de Bruce, Lord of Annandale, to the priory of St. Andrews, 1294, is designed Dominus Joannes de Seton, miles. John (Johan) de Seton, swore featly to Edward I, 1296

This point there seems to be confusion as to Sir Christopher's father is...
From everything that I can find the most sources for is that Christopher Seton who married Christian Bruce Christopher is the son and heir to John.

http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/ss4as/seton01.htm

Sir Christopher who married Christian, sister of King Robert the Bruce. TSP reports that conclusive proof, not known to the above-mentioned genealogists, is now available, which proves that Sir Christopher was son of Sir John de Seton, who held the manor of Seton in Whitby Strand, co. York td 4
•********************************************************************************************************

Source= http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Seton

SIR Christopher Seton, son and heir of John de Seton, a Cumberland gentleman, and his wife Erminia Lascelles, was born probably in 1278, since his age is given in Dlarch 1299 as twenty-one, in an inquisition into the lands of his deceased father. He did homage for these in October of that year, and was in the service of Edward I. at Lochmaben in. 1304. In 1305 he came into possession of lands which had been granted by Sir John Seton to Robert Bruce and his wife Christian, who was perhaps a Seton. He had married about 1301 Christian Bruce, sister of King Robert, who was possibly his second cousin. He was present at his brother-in-law's coronation at Scone in 1306, and saved his life at the battle of Methven later in the same year.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2009-01/...

There is likewise no evidence which indicates that Ermina de Seton was the mother of Sir Christopher de Seton. Rather, it appears Ermina was the step-mother of Sir Christopher de Seton. There is an abstract of a petition of Ermina de Seton in the online National Archives catalogue, which is copied below. In the petition, Ermina de Seton mentions Christopher de Seton by name but does not call him her son. Rather, she refers to him only as the son and heir of her late husband, John de Seton. The same is true of Calendar of Patent Rolls, 1301–1307 (1898): 465, where Christopher de Seton is identitied as the son and heir of John de Seton, but Ermina is not called his mother (see http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/patentrolls/e1v4/body/Edward1vol4page0465...).

In summary, we find that Christian de Ireby died childless in 1305. She was not the mother of Ermina, wife of John de Seton. And, Ermina de Seton was evidently not the mother of Sir Christopher de Seton.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

+ + + + + + + + + + + + Sources: National Archives Catalogue (http:// www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?C...)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mainegenie/SETON.htm

6I. CHRISTOPHER (ADAM 1, ROBERT 2, ADAM 3, JOHN 4) b.c.1278 m. CHRISTIAN BRUCE (m.1. Gratney, Earl of Mar, 3. 1326 Sir Andrew Moray of Bothwell, d. 1357, bur. Dunfermline) executed Oct. 1306

Sir Christopher was the son of Sir John de Seton, of Seton, Yorkshire and not the son of the above Alexander as stated by Anderson as "Cristofor son and heir of John de Seton" did homage for his father's lands on 24 Oct. 1299 at Westminster. Master Richard de Havering, the Escheator ultra, was ordered to restore his land.(1) On 13 June 1300 the King ordered the same Escheator to partition the lands, which had been held in dower by Sarra, widow of Richard de Levyngton, between Richard de Kirkbride, Adam de Twynham, Gilbert de Sutheyke, and Walter de Corry, nephews and heirs of the said Richard, and Maude de Karrigg and Emma de Karrigg, sisters, neices and co-heirs, and Christopher de Seton. The inheritance was to be divided into six parts, but the share of Maude and Emma, who were staying in Scotland with the Scots, enemies and rebels to the King, was to be retained in the King's hand.(3)

A document dated 3 Mar. 1304 confirmed that "Christopher de Setone" was in the king's service and "will remain with him throughout the war".(2) On 12 Oct. 1305 Richard Oysel, the Escheator ultra, was ordered to hand over to Christopher de Seton the vills of Gamelsby and Unthank in Cumberland, which is father, John de Seton, had granted in tail to Robert de Brus and Christina, his wife, who had died without heirs.(4) He evidently changed sides and Christopher was subsequently a supporter of his brother-in-law, Robert the Bruce and was at his coronation at Scone 27 Mar. 1306. King Edward seized his lands and granted them in Apr. 1306 to Edmund de Mauley in fee for his good service.(5) At the battle of Methven 13 June 1306 he rescued King Robert when he was thrown from his horse by Philip de Mowbray. Christopher afterwards locked himself up in Loch Doon Castle and after its surrender he was hanged, drawn and quartered by order of Edward I at Dumfries along with his brothers John and Humphrey.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to this mystery?

NOTE TO SELF LOTS OF "IN" Wintoun/Wyntoun on this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=HGVmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=P...

William alias Wat in Balbrogo See Garvie Janet Allan Abraham burgess of Linlithgow 18 May 1626 Adam in Wintoun constab of Haddington 24 July 1637 See also Cathrae Helen Agnes relict of David Schanks flesher in Langnudrie par of Tranent constab of Haddington 25 Feb 1605 Agnes See Gray John in Longnidry Alexander sailor in Borrowstones 9 July 1696 Alliesone and William Cleghorne merchant in Dalkeith her husband 8 May 1688 Andro writer in Grange pannes and Agnes Burnsyd his spouse 29 Nov 1686 Archibald skinner burgess of Edinburgh 20 Dec 1603 Archibald fisher in Kinghorn See Skinner Bessie Arthur merchant
burgess of Glasgow 25 Nov 1602 Christian sometime spouse to John Greir in Craighous par of Cumnok sher of Ayr 25 Mar 1607 Christian See Newlands Robert glover burgess of Edinburgh Cristopher baxter burgess of Linlithgow 25 June 1650 David indweller in Bangroge 24 Nov 1646 David younger in Wintoun H 13 Nov 1657 David in Ballangrug See Corser Helen David burgess of Perth See Dick Jonet David in Wintoun See Galloway Margaret Elizabeth sometime spouse to James Speir sklaitter indweller in Leith 7 Jan 1604

in Leith 7 Jan 1604 Euphame spouse to Jame Duncan in Borrowstones 7 Aug 1669 George skipper in Leith 24 May 1619 George in Borrowstones 6 Feb 1668 George in Wintoune 20 May 1668 George skipper in Queensferry 26 Mar 1675 George skipper in Graynge 2 Dec 1689 George skipper in Borrowstanes See Dawling Euphame George indweller in the Seamilne of Seatoun See Somervell Jonet George in Auchenheid See M Kie Jonet Hector skipper in Leith 14 Dec 1687 Helen and William Hislope in Smeetone her spouse 7 Apr 1658 Hew stabler burgess of Edinburgh See Russell Margaret Isobel relict of Isobel Sandersone of Coldingham sher of Berwick 9 July 1605 Isobel relict of David Alschainder merchant burgess of Edinburgh 11 July 1642 Isobel relict of Archibald Ellot cooper burgess of Edinburgh 23 Dec 1664 James in Wyntoun par of Tranent constab of Haddington 25 July 1622 See also Pringle Agnes

Wintoun ..............Cristian sometime spouse to Thomas Young tailor burgess of Perth 27 Jan 1609 George Earl of H 15 Feb 1653 See also Hay Dame Anna James elder burgess of Newburgh sher of Fife 24 June 1608

Wintoun Margaret sometime spouse to John Gilmour writer 16 June 161 3 Robert Earl of par of Tranent constab of Haddington 18 Feb 1606 See also Montgomerie Dame Margaret

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/SingleIndexListview.aspx?ix=mh_tre...

Name Birth Date Birth Place Death Date
Christian Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1401
**Christian Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1401
Christian Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1401
Christian Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Christian Of Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Christian Seton (born De Wintoun) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Christian Seton (born De Wintoun) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Christina Dunbar (born Seton) 1340 Place, Scotland 1402
Christina Dunbar (born Seton) 1350 Place, Scotland 1402
Baroness Wintoun (born Polworth) 1280 Place, Scotland
Christina Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1336 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Margaret De Wintoun (born Seton) 1318 Place, Scotland
Robert Seton Earl Of Wintoun Date, 1550 Place, Scotland Date, 1602
Christina Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1340 Place Date, 1402
Alan De Wintoun 1300 Place, Scotland Date, 1348
Alan De Wintoun 1300 Place, Scotland Date, 1348
Christian Dunbar (born Seton) Date, 1350 Place, Scotland Date, 1402
Christian Dunbar (born Seton)

Also all of the Sir Christopher's, none of them show up for smart matches in other trees. Also all the above information stating that Sir Christopher that married Christian Bruce is Johns son that married Erminia Lascelles and not Christophers.

**NOTE** Maybe someone has found something new confirming this.

http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/ss4as/seton01.htm

Sir Christopher who married Christian, sister of King Robert the Bruce. TSP reports that conclusive proof, not known to the above-mentioned genealogists, is now available, which proves that Sir Christopher was son of Sir John de Seton, who held the manor of Seton in Whitby Strand, co. York td 4

What does TSP stand for in the Stirnet citation?

I'm not sure? I thought maybe you could tell me. :)

The following attempts to make sense of the matter, relying heavily on TSP (Winton) and BP1934 (Eglinton)

Just a guess but maybe TSP stands for "The Seton Pedigree"?

Alan de Wyntoun of Seton is your 20th great grandfather

Ian Winton is your 15th cousin thrice removed

@Alexander II Setoun de Wintoun, Knight is my 3rd cousin 24 times removed Judy Rice

@Jonet Seton is my 26th grt aunt Judy Rice

Jonet de Quincy is your 29th great aunt.

Robert de Quincy

Robert de Quincy is your 29th great grandfather.

he says that Dougall Seton married Jennet Quintsey daughter to Rodger Quintsey Earle of Wintone Constable of Scotland By which marriage it appears the said Dougall Seton gott the lands of Winton

TSP = The Scots Peerage
CP = Complete Peerage

Extenta facta die sabbati proxima post festum Apostolorum Philippi et lacobi anno regni regis Edwardi octavo apud Sanctum Botulphum coram ThomadeNormanville Adam de Wynton de maneriis de Wykes et Frampton ville et ferie Sancti Botulphi per sacramentum lohannis de Holand militis

Is stretched out on the Saturday next after the feast of the Apostles Philip and James have been made in the year of the reign of King Edward VIII of the Adam of Winchester at St. Boston before ThomadeNormanville of the Manor of Wykes and Framptone town and the fair of St. Botolph, by the oath of John of Holland knight

Thank you W.... I am assuming this is the translation for the above? That is written in Latin? I am not sure this tells me anything though? :)

Private User
I just happened to be perusing the discussions, and saw a need for translation of the passage you posted, and so translated it as best I could.
I do not know what it tells you.

Have you looked here?
https://www.geni.com/surnames/winton
There are 1000 profiles to look through.

And . . .in regard to the name Winton . . .

This is an Anglo-Scottish locational surname recorded as De Winton, and Winton. The English surname has its origin in any one of the three places called Winton, in the counties of Lancashire, Westmoreland and the North Riding of Yorkshire. The first mentioned, recorded as "Wythynton" in the 1284 pipe rolls of Lancashire derives its name from the Olde English pre 7th Century "withig" meaning a willow wood, plus "tun", a farm or settlement. Willow was widely used for many purposes and the name suggests that the settlement may have 'farmed' the willow. Winton in Westmoreland, recorded as "Wyntuna" in the year 1090 is from the word "winn", meaning a pasture, whilst the Yorkshire Winton is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book of 1086 and translates as "Wina's tun". The Scottish Wintons derive their name from the lands of Winton in the parish of Pencaitland, East Lothian. Early examples of the name recording include Alan de Wintoun of Soltre, Scotland in 1214, whilst Nicholas de Wynton was a witness at the Colchester, Essex, assize court in 1277 and Richard Winton in the 1524 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William de Winton, which was dated 1202, a witness in the assize court rolls of Yorkshire, during the reign of King John, known as "Lackland", 1199 - 1216.

Happy Hunting!

I have been trying to make a connection to the Scottish Winton's now for a long time, because I have found this... http://www.tngenweb.org/records/warren/history/goodspeed/bios.html

P. H. Winton, farmer, was born in Coffee County, Tenn., August 13, 1841, the sixth son of Stephen and Susan (Sayne) Winton, who were both natives of Tennessee. *********The father was of Scotch descent,*********

Stating that my 4th great grandfather is of Scotch decent, and also because my 7th great grandfather immigrated to America from the... Ulster-Scot plantation in Londonderry Ireland. So this makes me believe that my family is of Scottish decent. However I guess we could be from the English Winton's? I just have not found any proof of this. My grandfather just always said that we were from Ireland before America.

Ian of course it's scotch Irish Wintons. You're just up against the black hole into another dimension of lost records known as the Ulster Plantation. Keep digging.

“Robertus Setonus primogenitus et primus Wentoniae Comes

Meaning of Primogenitus
( Lat. from primo, first, and genitus, born or begotten). In old English law. A first born or eldest son.

pri·mus (prms)
n. pl. pri·mus·es
often Primus The first in rank of the bishops of Scotland.

-et1
suffix
forming nouns that were originally diminutives.
"baronet"

*****So let me try my translation on the first phrase...********

" Robert Seton first born Baronet of Bishops Winton." ??? :)

If anyone reads this let me know if I'm close..

OK now I found this translation....

The first count of wentoniae

"et primus wentoniae comes" from Latin

SO... Robert Seton first born "Count" of Winton...

But the translation I found above says in Scotland primus is the first rank of the bishops of Scotland. Which would make some since because I think the name Winton comes from the bishops of Winton or the bishops of Winchester.

with the Wintoun arms, and motto, ...... Draiglet at Ba'dragon, Stridcea at Strickmartin

It was tempit at Pitempan,

Draiglet at Ba'dragon,

Stricken at Strickmartin,

An' kill'd at Martin's Stane !

When the burial-ground of Strathmartin was
enclosed, and subsequently in the course of digging
graves, the different fragments of sculptured stones
were discovered which are now to be seen at the
Kirktown. The largest of these, which bears the
representation of two serpents, was found in the
bottom of a grave in 1813, and through the good
offices of the present venerable schoolmaster, it
was placed in its present position. In connection
with this and the sculptured stones, which stand
near Strathmartin Castle, and upon the farm of
Balkello, in Tealing, and not at Ballutheron, as
is commonly said, there is an interesting legend.
Though well known, it may be briefly repeated.

Long, long ago, the farmer of Pitempan had
nine pretty daughters. One day their father
thirsted for a drink from his favourite well, which
was in a marsh at a short distance from the house.
The fairest of the nine eagerly obeyed her father's
wish, by running to the spring. Not returning
within a reasonable time, a second went in quest ................

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/andrew-jervise/epitaphs--insc...

Robertus Setonus primogenitus et primus Wentoniae Comes

Robert Seton the first born and the first Earl of Winton

“Near the south side of this chapel are deposited the bodies, once the habitation of the souls, of George Seton and Isabel Hamilton; souls truly noble, and worthy of everlasting remembrance. George, of this name the 5th, honourably possessed and enlarged the ample estates and fortune transmitted to him by his ancestors in times of great disturbance in the country. He was born in the reign of James the Fifth. Being deprived of his most worthy father, when he was a young man, living in France, he returned home, and in a short time afterwards, by a decree of the Estates of the Kingdom, he is sent back to France, and there, as one of the Ambassadors, he negotiated and ratified the marriage between Queen Mary and Francis, Dauphin of France, and the ancient treaties between the French and the Scots. Upon his return home, he found his country involved in the flames, both of foreign and civil wars, upon the change of religion and the forms of worship: when within Scotland, the English and French, the Germans and Spaniards, were engaged in war, and the Scots also fighting among themselves, his house having been more than once burnt to the ground, and entirely demolished, and all of his estates ravished by the English, he restored the whole anew upon a scale more extensive, and in a style more magnificent. In every change of fortune always independent and undaunted, when his King was murdered by the most abandoned of men, and the Queen being driven into exile by the faction of the nobles, he, like his brave ancestors, always stood unmoved. For this steady loyalty being often imprisoned and kept in close confinement, often banished his country, and stripped of all his fortune, he not only sustained with fortitude, but with fortitude , but even despised and surmounted innumerable distresses of that kind, which bore witness of his faithful attachment to his country, and his loyalty to its rightful Sovereigns. At length, upon the accession of James the Sixth, by whose auspicious government, prudence, and counsels, Scotland was delivered from all its tempests and distresses, and restored to its antient splendour, he too was honourably received, and treated according to his merit, recovered his rank and dignity of his ancestors, and was sent by the King as his chief ambassador to Henry the Third King of France, with the most ample powers to confirm alliance between them. In this high office, when he was performing services to the satisfaction, and with the favour of both Princes, the labours of his past life bring upon him a fatal disease. He returned to his own country, and within a month after he went hence to a better state, on the 8th day of January, in the year of our Lord 1585, about the 55th year of his age.

“Dame Isabell Hamilton sprung from parents of noble birth; her father being Sir William Hamilton of Sanquhar, and her mother Catherine Kennedy, daughter of the Earls of Cassilis, wa herself distinguished for her beauty, moral excellence, and all accomplishments both of mind and body; standing high in these respects among the ladies of her age. Having got this George Lord Seton for her husband, she was his support and comfort in all his adversities, and his ornament in prosperity.

“Surviving her dearest husband 18 years, she lived in a liberal and most affectionate manner with their common children.

“All the jointure she had received from her husband she cheerfully shared with them in common, and with her substance cherished and promoted all their honourable endeavors and studies; nor did she reap in her own life time scanty fruits of this pious attention and maternal love, being herself rendered more respectable and illustrious, by the high offices, dignities, and honours of her children, until worn out with age, and afflicted with the gout, and other diseases, she resigned her soul to God, on the 13th. of Nov. 1604, being about 75 years of age.

“Of these so illustrious parents this was the issue:-

“1st, Robert Seton, their eldest son, the first Earl of Winton, honoured with this title by James the Sixth for his own merits and those of his ancestors.

“2nd, Sir John, very high in favour with the same King; made a privy counselor, and raised to be lord high treasurer, and other great offices.

“He was carried off in the flower of his age; yet leaving children behind him.

“3rd, Alexander, many years a judge of the Supreme Court, and a privy counselor; then chosen president of the Court of Session, by the Court itself, was at length made a privy counselor of both kingdoms, by that wise being who first connected Scotland and England by the tie of a common Sovereign, and was created Earl of Dunfermline and counselor of the kingdom of Scotland.

“4th, William, sheriff of Lothian; and one of the lords wardens and administrators of the marches of Scotland and England.

“5th, a daughter, Margaret, married to Claud Hamilton, Lord of Paisley, mother of James, the first earl of Abercorn, and the fruitful parent of all that flourishing family of brothers and sisters.

“Let posterity know these things, and honour the memory of so great a man, and so distinguished a woman; let them imitate their virtues, and wish sweet repose to their pious souls.

“The memory of great men is no less useful than their presence.”

You already "Follow" him. George Seton V, 7th Lord Seton

Note that I did NOT post my geni-link to @George Seton, 7th Lord Seton . . .

John Smith What do you mean, you didn't post your geni link??? Well post it then so I can check it out!! :)

Sir William de Seton, 1st Lord Seton
http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/documents/The_Lordship_of_Bad... The direct male Gordon line ended with Sir Adam's great‐grandson and name sake, who fell at the battle of Homildon Hill in 1402, leaving a daughter Elizabeth, who married Alexander Seton, second son of Sir W. Seton of Winton. Her son Alexander assumed the name of Gordon, and was created Earl of Huntly in 1449

Showing 31-60 of 113 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion