William David Colbert, Sr. - This line is incorrect

Started by Jacqueline Cox on Saturday, July 27, 2013
Showing all 5 posts
7/27/2013 at 6:27 PM

William Colbert was the son of John Logan Colbert and John's first wife (a full blood Chickasaw woman). John had children with two other women, the second was also Chickasaw and the third was a half-blood Chickasaw.
George Colbert is listed as the father on this tree. He is William's half-brother. (from John's second wife).
William had two wives. The first was Jesse Moniac. The second was only listed on historical notes as "Ishtanaha" (Chickasaw).
Polly Colbert is listed as the only child from William's second wife.

12/11/2015 at 10:20 PM

William Colbert was the son of James Colbert of the Chickasaw, not John Colbert. Your facts are incorrect.

3/13/2020 at 5:21 PM

I prefer to add here than to start a new Discussion since I am not adding anything really except to say that THIS NO blood to me SHOULD show all blue.

5/30/2021 at 9:03 AM

The parents need sorting so the pathways are correct.

5/30/2021 at 9:31 AM

This should help sort the wives and children of

Capt. James Logan Colbert

and, that profile photo of James can't be him because photography hadn't been invented during his lifetime.

https://mississippiencyclopedia.org/entries/george-levi-and-william...

George, Levi, and William Colbert served as prominent military, political, and economic leaders in the Chickasaw Nation prior to Removal. Their father, James Logan Colbert (ca. 1721–83), emigrated from Scotland and became a successful trader among the Chickasaw. Fluent in Chickasaw, he served as an interpreter at the Augusta (1763) and Mobile Indian conferences (1765 and 1771) and fought with the British and their southern Indian allies during the American Revolution.

His first marriage to a Chickasaw woman resulted in a daughter and a son, William (Chooshemataha).

His second Chickasaw wife gave birth to four sons, George (Tootemastubbe), Joseph, Levi (Itawamba Mingo), and Samuel.

He and his third wife, a mixed-blood Chickasaw, had a son and daughter, James and Susan.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion