Johnny Depp - Did you know Johnny Depp's ancestry?

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, June 30, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 87 posts
6/30/2013 at 8:40 PM

Here's the ancestor mentioned:

Elizabeth Grinstead

7/1/2013 at 8:39 AM

That´s quite interesting!!
Thanx, for sharing, Erica!!!
<3 Renée <3

Private User
7/1/2013 at 9:32 AM

@Johnny Depp is my 15th cousin once removed Judy=Arthur Rice my dad=Israel Tekarihoken Rice his dad=Pierre Atawenrate Rice his father=Ignace Awennaietha Deer Rice his father=Marie Madeleine Kiatawinon Deer Rice his mother=Thomas aka Atonwa Aronhiowonen her father=Silas Rice his father=Edmund Rice his father=Samuel Rice his father=Thomasine Rice (Frost) his mother=Thomasine Frost(Belgrave)her mother=John Belgrave 111 her father=Richard Belgrave his father=John Belgrave his father=Margaret Cotton his mother=Joanna Cotton her mother=Ralph FitzHerbert,Sr her father=Agnes Lyster his daughter=John Lyster her son=Leonard 1543 Lister his son=Joyce Tipton his daughter=Edward Tipton,1 her son=Jonathan Tipton,sr his son=Jonathan Tipton Jr his son=Alice Reno his daughter=John Reneau her son=Isac Reneau his son=Mariba Depp his daughter=Oren Robert Depp her son=Oren Larimore depp his son=John Depp, Sr his son =Johnny Depp this is my lineage to Johnny Depp very interesting thks for sharing Erica Judy Rice

7/1/2013 at 9:55 AM

Johnny Depp is your 17th cousin twice removed. WOW.. I thought before about checking on him because of the cherokee lines but his line went through the Spencers

7/1/2013 at 9:56 AM

You
→ Norma Jean Griffin
your mother → Anna Rosabell Griffin
her mother → Nettie Standlea
her mother → Arvilla Spencer
her mother → Emerson Stoddard
her father → Ira Spencer
his father → Ira Spencer
his father → Samuel Spencer, Jr
his father → Samuel Spencer
his father → Phineas Spencer
his father → Nathaniel Spencer
his father → Gerard (Jared) Spencer, Jr.
his father → Gerrard (Jared) Spencer
his father → Michael Spencer
his father → Ann Spencer
his mother → Katherine Merrill
her mother → Dulcia Gerard
her mother → Elizabeth de Ashton
her mother → Margery de Byron
her mother → Sir Robert Booth
her brother → Sir William Bothe, Sheriff of Cheshire
his son → John Bothe Booth
his son → John Booth
his son → Oliver Booth
his son → Nicholas Booth
his son → Susannah Thorne / Hallett
his daughter → William Thorne
her son → william Thorne
his son → Susannah Reno
his daughter → Charles Reneau
her son → John Reneau
his son → Isaac Reneau
his son → Mariba Depp
his daughter → Oren Robert Depp
her son → Oren Larimore Depp
his son → John Depp, Sr.
his son → Johnny Depp
his son

7/1/2013 at 1:58 PM

Wow, these are some interesting paths! I'm checking where I connect with his lines and exploring the points to see if I can make more connections - because my people are very from Kentucky and so are his.

My closest line so far is the French Huguenot Depp family via Reno / Reneau, which is a direct family line for me. It includes the infamous Missouri Reno Gang of stage coach robbers !

7/1/2013 at 2:01 PM

BTW in honor of the off beat characters Johnny Depp is so good at portraying I think it would be fun to find them in our connecting trees, maybe develop more biography in those profiles ?

7/1/2013 at 2:13 PM

Mary Alice “ Little Granny Alice” (Sizemore) Slone

Here's his 5th great grandmother - "said to be" Creek, or part Creek. However she's a Sizemore, which is a big mostly Cherokee clan ?

Sizemore experts, please weigh in.

Private User
7/1/2013 at 2:44 PM

Well, Bobby Ann, I've found a new way we are related. Erica sent me a message about this discussion because I have distant Sizemore relationships.

Mary Alice Slone is my third great uncle's great grandmother. http://www.geni.com/path/Maria+Edmonds+Zediker+Volunteer+Curator+is...

If she is a Sizemore, she is more likely to be Cherokee than Creek, but the only way to be sure is DNA testing of a direct descendent. I'm not closely related enough to be considered Native American - something like 1/180th!

At any rate, the true Sizemores, the ones with Cherokee blood, have unique DNA. The original researcher, Daniel Panther Yates, has been ridiculed for years over some of his claims from his DNA research. His tree for the Sizemores can be proven without DNA, through land grants, military pensions, etc., but the DNA is what makes the family unique.

Here's his site - http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/a/n/Donald-N-Pantherya....

The portion of his work that is ridiculed is the claims of Sephardic (Jewish) markers in the DNA. Many early Sizemores were called "Melungeon," which is basically "mixed-race." In Colonial America, it meant white-Indian or white-Jewish. A century later it meant white-black or Indian-black. I am not knowledgeable enough to say if Yates' work is a crock of sheep dip or if there's truth in it. I used his work mainly to build the beginnings of the Sizemore tree here on Geni.

7/1/2013 at 3:30 PM

Well apparently "Granny" Alice Slone was "quite something."

One quote:

Darleen Flanagan says:
Death note

"Little Granny Alice, live to be about 100 years of age. Ali ce was an indian, and was found dead without her head, legend has it that since she was married to a white man, the indians did not like it and d ecapitated her. They never found her head, so she was buried without it."

Private User
7/1/2013 at 4:23 PM

Yikes, Erica! I had never heard that story before!

7/1/2013 at 6:24 PM

wow Maria Edmonds.. I now know why I am having a hard time finding the choctaw in my line .. associated with the cherokee . I told my mom I couldn't find the choctaw line but only found the cherokee and she said we are not cherokee but we are choctaw so :( .. that link with the names will help... thank u much.. I have an idian page /group on facebook and seen an article where depp claims to be of cherokee decent

7/1/2013 at 6:32 PM

I'm looking for a farther path past Mandy Kilgore (suppose to be choctaw) and her daugher would be half then my grand then my mother and then me but can't find anything yet

7/1/2013 at 6:34 PM

Bobby Ann

I think we're thrown by "only" knowing the names of the "big tribes.". But by this time in history, Virginia, Kentucky & Tennessee groups were actually more amalgamated. I know for a fact for instance that Cherokee continued their long custom of "adopting in" regardless of origin.

Johnny Depp hasn't been specific and now that we've found "Granny Alice" it's easy to see why - it sounded likely she was of mixed race herself and lived a bit ... Unconventionally. :)

7/1/2013 at 6:41 PM

I ran her and I found no connect ion with her but found cherokee in another line of mine and :( need to find it again.. I click follow but don't remember names :(

7/1/2013 at 6:46 PM

ok found one of the chocktaw's in my line ...chief nathaniel Folsom Jr. by way of my Spencer line... and stand watie for the cherokee line same direction

7/1/2013 at 6:47 PM

You
→ Norma Jean Griffin
your mother → Anna Rosabell Griffin
her mother → Nettie Standlea
her mother → Arvilla Spencer
her mother → Emerson Stoddard
her father → Ira Spencer
his father → Ira Spencer
his father → Samuel Spencer, Jr
his father → Samuel Spencer
his father → Phineas Spencer
his father → Nathaniel Spencer
his father → Gerard (Jared) Spencer, Jr.
his father → Gerrard (Jared) Spencer
his father → Elizabeth Spencer
his mother → Margery Collamore
her mother → Wilmot Hext
her mother → William Poyntz
her father → Elizabeth (Pollard) Poyntz
his mother → Richard Pollard, of Waye
her father → Ann Wood
his sister → John Wood
her son → Richard Wood
his son → Alexander Woods
his son → Elizabeth Woods
his daughter → Thomas Carpenter
her son → Robert Carpenter
his son → Thomas Carpenter, "The Immigrant"
his son → Amatoya Moytoy, I
his son → Nancy Moytoy, Wolf Clan
his daughter → Attakullakulla / Onacona
her son → Da-Tsi (Tah Chee) Carpenter
his son → David Oo-Watie
his son → Stand Watie, Brig. General, CSA, Principal Chief
his son

8/6/2013 at 3:36 PM

I wish it was easy to find out your indian heritage but my fathers farther was killed in battle leaving him an orphan that was placed in an Catholic boarding school and after they closed it down for having so many children died there somebody burned down the school with all the records in it. So that left my dad out of the rolls, HIstory roomer is that people would adoupt indian children then take their land allotment then put them in orphanages and leave them.
I wish Johnny DEPP would take some of that money he has and put it toward finding out what can be done to make these records open to the public..
Maybe that is what Obama should do is hire as many people as it take to microfilm all indian records, that would really provide allot of jobs.
What do you think?

8/6/2013 at 5:59 PM

Just a Note to say, I'm really fascinated, in which direction this "discussion" has developed.
All my best, Cousins!
xoxoxoRenée

8/6/2013 at 6:05 PM

I'm hoping we can find more obscure and interesting people like Johnny's ancestor! It would be a shame if they're lost to "history."

1/16/2014 at 7:55 AM

Does Johnny Depp have any documented Native American ancestry?

1/16/2014 at 9:44 AM

He may have received some honorary tribal designations now? Saw something like that. But his own ancestry is remote and undocumented / undocumentable.

1/16/2014 at 12:16 PM

Thank you. This page left me confused. Especially since people were talking about Native American Sizemores, but Johnny's Sizemore line on this site leads to England.

There was a lot of discussion about this topic here:
http://ethnicelebs.com/johnny-depp

A very good website for genealogy.

1/16/2014 at 12:50 PM

I enjoyed the linked discussion here:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3318.70;wap2

What I was pursuing was the "Granny Alice" story.

1/16/2014 at 4:01 PM

Speaking of Native American ancestry, this is an odd example of an actor who has basically said that he is "half" Cherokee:
http://ethnicelebs.com/colton-haynes

7/19/2014 at 1:07 AM

I trace everyone to see who is related and found that all but 2 out of 7 of you are my cousins including Johnny Depp. So Hello cousins I didn't know I had :) It has been a informative discussion .

7/19/2014 at 4:55 AM

ohnny Depp is Theresa Renée Eléna Delgado-Tossas' 12th cousin once removed!
Theresa Renée Eléna Delgado-Tossas
You → Linda Sue Cox
your mother → Julius Elsworth Cox Sr.
her father → Samuel Elsworth Cox, Sr.
his father → Sarah Frances (Smart) Cox
his mother → Minerva M. Smart (Head)
her mother → Benjamin Simon Head
her father → James Head
his father → Benjamin Head
his father → William Henry Henry Head, lll
his father → William Head, Jr.
his father → William Head, II
his father → William Head, I
his father → James Head
his father → Bridget Sherwood (Head)
his sister → Philip Sherwood
her son → Martha Jane Sherwood
his daughter → Capt. John Marshall "of the Forest"
her son → John Marshall
his son → Thomas Marshall
his son → Reuban Marshall
his son → Lurana Whitaker (Marshall)
his daughter → William C. Whitaker
her son → Branch Whitaker
his son → Bessie Irene Wells (Whitaker)
his daughter → Betty Sue Wells
her daughter → Johnny Depp
her son

7/19/2014 at 4:57 AM

I had 3 other path´s to him, which Geni has never re- located... and I unfortunately, didn´t copy out...
he´s apparently, also, my 13th, 16th and 19th cousin. lol!

Private
7/19/2014 at 8:08 AM

I am related to him thru robert renolyds (yes the tobacco family) as is erica i think.

Showing 1-30 of 87 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion