Mary Boleyn, Mistress King Henry VIII - Sir William Carey, Knight

Started by Thomas John Shannon on Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
6/25/2013 at 10:38 PM

She is listed as being the mother of a William Carey but she no children by that name. I think that this persons (who would be my 12th great grandfather) name is really William Carey but that his parents are incorrect. I have tried to find a source that has the correct information but all the listings I have found so far either have this same information or have no parents listed. Anyone know how to fix this and to find the correct information for this person?

6/25/2013 at 11:58 PM

Very good catch - http://thepeerage.com/p2639.htm#i26388 does not list him as a child. I would start with FamilySearch.org as a possible originator of the record. Then I would go a generation or 2 down in the tree and look at the spouses. I don't think the issue is Cary / Carey / Carew variant spellings so much as a mixup / wishful thinking - Mary Boleyn was rumored to have has a child by Henry VIll. That rumor may also be the source of the record.

6/26/2013 at 1:38 PM

I find no documented sources for his parentage. He would say needs to be disconnected from this set of parents.

6/26/2013 at 3:24 PM

Disconnected. Ric, can you take a look at Mary Boleyn's other extra children also?

6/26/2013 at 8:57 PM

My little note, for what it's worth:

Her children Henry and Katherine might have been by her lover, King Henry VIII, rather than by her husband William Carey. [Anthony Hoskins, "Mary Boleyn's Carey children -- offspring of King Henry VIII?" in Genealogists' Magazine, Vol. 25 (March, 1997), No. 9, available at http://www.genealogymagazine.com/boleyn.html, visited 15 September 2007.]

6/26/2013 at 9:15 PM

Yes, I was reading something similar earlier when double checking she only had the 2 children. There were cash gifts to the husband from Henry Vlll in the windows of their birth - that certainly raised my eyebrows.

6/27/2013 at 12:40 AM

She actually has at least four children. The first two that most people read about and the two she had during her second marriage to William Stafford.

6/27/2013 at 1:13 AM

Right - I should have said that. The Stafford children seem safe from legendary internet trees however.

6/27/2013 at 3:55 PM

I'll be happy to follow up on all these profiles and make sure that we have valid sources listed. BTW, my personal opinion is that the first two were most likely by Henry VIII.

2/23/2021 at 8:19 AM

Thanks to this profile giving us a hint and me being in school for genealogy plus needing a challenge, we have found out that Mary Boleyn is really my father's 13th great-grandmother. The hiccup is that it is through one of her first children that she is believed to have conceived with Henry VIII, they named him Henry. Read in many sources that when she gave birth to each of her first children Henry VIII gave tons of wealthy gifts to her father and husband. This will be a crazy headache to try to prove but as of now through DNA we have many of the surnames that are cousins all the way through. (Obviously not a confirmation until looked into with detail and added to my DNA-infused tree.)

6/6/2021 at 3:32 PM

Wow that’s a great read who knows one day we might actually find out for sure

5/25/2022 at 7:48 PM

My 17th great grandmother was Mary Boleyn and her daughter Catherine was my 16th gg .

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion