Started by Private User on Monday, May 13, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 130 posts
Private User
5/13/2013 at 6:47 PM

Some Mayflower descendants that I need some help with.
Who is the correct husband of Hannah Mayo?
* John Mayo, IV, son of Lt. John Mayo, Jr. & Hannah Mayo
* Captain John Mayo, son of Capt. Samuel Mayo & Thomasine Sunderland

Who is the correct wife of Judah Hopkins, I?
* Hannah Hopkins, daughter of Captain Samuel Mayo & Ruth Hopkins
* Unknown Profile, daughter of John Mayo, IV & Hannah Mayo

Thanks, Jeff

5/13/2013 at 7:02 PM

Jeff I would drive this BOTTOM up, starting with this merging that needs doing:

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000020638493236?to=6000000000...

Make MP as you go if you can ...

Private User
5/13/2013 at 8:21 PM

It appears Ruth Hopkins was the wife of Samuel Mayo sr. My Mayo connection is rather brief. Mary Mayo , Daughter of Samuel Mayo and tamsen Lumpkin , marries Jonathan Bangs and that's it. I might look around what I can find out. Good luck.

Private User
5/13/2013 at 8:57 PM

Jeff, I found that Judah Hopkins was married to two different Hannah Mayo's.m. 1702 , Hannah Mayo #1 was daughter of Samuel Mayo and Ruth Hopkins then he m. Hannah # 2 1720, she was the daughter of John Mayo and Hannah Freeman. Does this help? So both are the correct wives of Judah.

5/15/2013 at 4:02 AM

@Judith, no wonder, Jeff, was confused... TWO HANNAH MAYO´s! lol!
would seem, these branches, have a knack, for taking a curve, when one least expects it! ;-)

Freeman, Mayo, Bangs, all up in my branches, too. Great, that most of it, would seem to be cleared up... through your answers Erica (HI GIRLFRIEND!) and Judith!
Great Stuff!!!
<3 Renée <3

5/15/2013 at 4:10 AM

Here´s a few resources I´ve located online, for the Freeman/Hinkley lines.

http://www.archive.org/stream/freemangenealogy1875free#page/14/mode...

http://capecodhistory.us/genealogy/wellfleet/i1790.htm

Haven´t had a chance to really "sit" on it, yet...
but WILL soon! If anyone, turns up anything interesting, please, be sure to keep us all abreast!
Thank You and Best Regards, in the Round!

Private User
5/15/2013 at 5:28 AM

I find in a lot of lines there are duplicate names used . Example way back in the Campbell line . Colin Campbell married and had several mistresses . Many were sisters and every single one seemed to have had a child names Colin . Talk about confusion! Just figuring out which Colin belonged to which woman was crazy! Another one my Benjamin Parker had an Anna Jenness for a mother and an Anna Taylor for a wife. He died and Anna Taylor Parker then married one of his cousins and became Anna Jenness.. That's why you need all the maiden names and dates and where they were born. All the info you can possible muster up. Another one I had was in the Weeks and Gunnison lines. Two Weeks brothers married two Gunnison sisters , both couples had sons were same first name and birth dates were very simular. Can really make a mess sometimes. Judy

5/15/2013 at 5:35 AM

Its the Johnny Carson method of marrying (3 Joanna's)...but I've found that families used the same names, even on branches....usually cousins in one way or another....so you can have multiples of same names tho different parentage....that marry into branches of the same family......I had two branches of the same tree with 3 brothers marring 3 sisters of a related branch....

Or maybe noone wants to change the initials on the linens?!...:-)

AND that's also why you need something in the 'about me' to say WHO married who and what that spouses parentage was...it HELPS.

Private User
5/15/2013 at 11:32 AM

I know in these cases , you really need to put in as much as you can, or it'll get all messed up and then it might still cause confusion!

5/15/2013 at 2:41 PM

You might try putting the full birth name of the woman into the display name...

That way you will see the difference if someone married more than 1 woman with the same 1st name....

5/15/2013 at 3:00 PM

Fay I'm not sure that would solve it - I try to leave "display" name alone because people use different tree viewing options, and display name can over ride using a "pedigree" view.

For this early in history the profiles should be made MP & "2 wives both named Hannah" noted in the curator note, and of course both Hannah's MP'd as well. At least, that's the way I'd do it.

Those profiles can be brought to curator attention in the discussion:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/83475
for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile

Judy - Great research. Thank you.

Private User
5/15/2013 at 3:16 PM

Your welcome! I like to make sure the maiden name shows . Then at least you can follow the right line. Otherwise it get really disey! Judy

Private User
5/15/2013 at 3:18 PM

It 's worst with the men. They don't have two names . So example there could several in one family named say Benjamin Parker You could have eight brothers , who all name their first born after their grandfather. Judy

Private User
5/15/2013 at 3:19 PM

Or how about george Forman , the fighter,. He named all his boys George.

5/15/2013 at 3:47 PM

You would think he knows better, right? :)

I just helped out a Tudor era profile where:

Grandfather Thomas
Father Thomas
Son Thomas
Wife 1: son Thomas - known as "serjeant at arms" Thomas
Wife 2: son Thomas - known as "Justice of the Common Pleas" Thomas OR "Thomas the lesser"
Wife 3: son Thomas - known as "changed his name at confirmation to Francis" Thomas

Private User
5/15/2013 at 4:28 PM

You wonder what people are thing when they do these things. Hopefully they give them different middle names.

5/15/2013 at 5:26 PM

Nope. Middle names didn't come into use in England & the British Colonies until around 1700. In fact I ran across a comment from an early transcriber of Rhode Island Vital Records noting: "surely one of the earliest uses of a middle name." 1660s if I remember right.

5/15/2013 at 5:57 PM

Best idea is Erica's suggestion about making the man an MP with the notation, married Hannah X and Hannah Y...and MP the wives....dont forget 'about me' for all...1st wife notes as 'first wife of....' and the 2nd wife as '2nd wife of'...both with their own parentage written out.

One family I worked on had 14 generations of Benjamin's....with almost all males having sons Benjamin also...and a lot married women with same first names ....Benjamin and Mary got pretty old after a while....and did nothing to let you know that it was a different generation...since both groupings had sons Benjamin...

MP with headers....super reminder.

5/16/2013 at 5:30 AM

Maybe a dumb question - but how do yu make a man an "MP"? Member of Parliament?

5/16/2013 at 5:49 AM

Not a dumb question....ONLY a Curator can make a profile a Master Profile (MP).

You need to contact a Curator and request they make a profile an MP....give a reason....(P.S. It helps if you also include info, either in the 'about me' or in your message to the Curator to let them know WHY it should be an MP..)

Private User
5/16/2013 at 6:56 AM

Ya but they had nicknames and all kinds of titles in some case. Acturally some of people often put the with middle name in as a maiden name.once in awhile before the 1700's . But more often after that. Anything you can find to make the hunt easier always helps. I guess you could in the case of the two Hannah Mayo's we were orginally talking about . Althou it would make their profile heading longer, you could say Hannah , daughter of John and Hannah and Hannah, daughter of Samuel and Ruth. The guys adding and people often do like 1st Earl if whatever and so one might and does help. Judy

Private User
5/16/2013 at 6:58 AM

I have noticed in a lot of Gen. ref. books , they do that. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to follow the info that easierly.

Private User
5/16/2013 at 8:01 AM

Geni newbie with a couple of comments: 1) I also have Bangs, Pence, Brewster, Mayo, Freeman, Cole and Higgins in my upper branches. It has been a interesting journey sorting out who belongs to whom. On a recent trip to Cape Cod I was able to find a land dee which proved a spouse.
2) about so many repeating names and family inter-marriage--think about the population of the area for the time period and the somewhat isolated location, they married the girl next door or down the lane, even if it was a cousin, or perhaps a step relative. The choices were limited.
I am trying to learn the ins and out of using this program so I really appreciate the explanation of "MP", Thank you all.

5/16/2013 at 8:02 AM

Suggest a better method.....enter the parentage in the suffix line....NOT as part of the actual name...

OR ask the Curator to delineate in the header of the MP

Private User
5/16/2013 at 8:36 AM

I rather not include parent info in the suffix. Leave that for the name. If there is any confusion or something needs to be noted, let a curator annotate it in the header and describe it in the "About" section.

Private User
5/16/2013 at 9:07 AM

Maureen I havr some of those names in my family . also. Judy

Private User
5/16/2013 at 9:11 AM

Jeff, I don't as a rule include parents in a person's name but I have seen it done. Usually done when it's a particularly confusing connection. Saw it done with two Weeks brother's marring two Gunnison sisters and both couples had children with same first names born about the same time.So in some cases , it might be necessary, Althou , like I said I have never has a reason to do it, myself. Judy

Private User
5/16/2013 at 9:33 AM

Ya, the best thing would be to make them all Master Profiles, so they can not be merged with each other, then annotate it in the curator comments. So if you see something like that, let us know. It's cleaner. :)

5/16/2013 at 9:39 AM

Hi http://www.geni.com/discussions/123663?msg=874239

I spent a bunch of childhood summers on Cape Cod - Prence, White, Bangs, Higgins, Nickersons ... Had no idea they might have been in my tree in those days!

My own lines seem more Cape Ann origination, but that geographic understanding has really helped me.

Here's a little light reading on how Geni works

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Main_Page

And thanks for a reminder about the jargon - I'm still confused when I see FNU in a profile. :)

Showing 1-30 of 130 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion