Alice Gwaltney (Flake) - Alice's Parents are wrong, see excerpt below for parentage ...

Started by Matthew Christopher "Concrete" Blackmon on Sunday, May 12, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
5/12/2013 at 10:35 AM

Alice Flake was the d/o Mathias Flake and Alice Warren, d/o Capt. Thomas Warren, bapt. Jan. 30, 1624; ob. ante Sept. 24, 1670, Surry County. Will Book 1, p. 377. http://longfield.webs.com/

Private User
5/25/2013 at 12:37 PM

From "Historical Southern Families" by Boddie Vol. 2, 1958
--William Gwaltney, son of Mary and Thomas Gwaltney, was a horseman in the Surry Militia in 1687, and in the Quit Rents of 1704, he held 400 acres and his son, William, 225. He married Alice Flake, daughter of Robert Flake and his wife Margaret Marriott, granddaughter of Captain Thomas Warren.

From a pamplet by Henry Clifton Burnham called "The Gaultney Family 1613-1992"
--William Gwaltney, son of Thomas and Martha, was born about 1655 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. He resettled with his parents at a young age in Surry County, which borders the James River. They made their home along the Blackwater Swamp. William received his education and was married to Miss Alice Flake, a daughter of Robert and Margaret (Marriott) Flake. Alice was a great-granddaughter of Captain Thomas Warren, member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and builder of the Rolfe-Warren House in Surry County.

10/26/2018 at 6:52 PM

Can we finally get this correct? Do we have enough info? Thank you

10/30/2018 at 8:16 PM

Curator Note from Erin Spiceland (3/6/2013):
IF she is a Flake, dates indicate she cannot be the daughter of Robert, Jr., so she must be the daughter of Robert, Sr. However, indications are good that she is not a Flake at all. There may be no Alice Flake. Locked due to frequent mistakes.

11/1/2018 at 12:53 AM

We do have enough information to resolve the parent controversy.

In support of the curator note, parents have been disconnected.

If more evidence comes in of course they can be added back.

11/1/2018 at 11:14 AM

Ok. Agreed. Can we at least agree with her gender lol (a joke) I will fix that right now ;)
In the meantime...thank you all.

11/1/2018 at 12:07 PM

Oh, oops, that was my fault. I fixed Gender back to female.

I was trying to figure out “between” Birth and Death dates that made sense, and none did - she kept coming up as older than her husband based on the pedigrees, which didn’t work when she’s also called “young.”

11/1/2018 at 12:41 PM

<3

11/1/2018 at 12:53 PM

Leaving her for now... in due time, she will have the information needed to connect/reconnect her or she will "go away" IF she is indeed a figment. lol *sigh... In the meantime, so much time and energy and passion and I HOPE "love" for the ancestors has gone into this discussion. I apologize to ALL involved for the depth of that passion. Thank you for caring about the truth and I LIVE for documentation. Thank you.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion