Positive Post Fridays

Started by Private User on Friday, April 26, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 511-540 of 594 posts

Thank you, Dan and Justin, for sharing my ecstatic vibe!

And Eldon, for sharing the Abebooks, tip!

<3 <3 <3

Well....its STILL snowing here....looks great, trees all decorated.....but being told its dangerous because of the weight....(hopefully the wind will blow some of it off them and the power lines).

On the 'other' tree note: re-found a Whittemore family....and need to talk with my neighbor and friend today (also a Whittemore) regarding a possible connection......have already established beyond a doubt that the park manager is related....1st cousin to sister-in law (his father was brother to her father).......and this new possibility would be SUPER...

Wish me luck....will be a most enjoyable find.

Be safe everyone.

Sounds like you´re "hot on the trail", Fay!!!
Hopefully, some of that heat, will melt some of that beautiful, yet treacherous snow, away, too!!!!
Stay Safe and Keep us Posted!!!
Oh, Yeah! And BEST of LUCK!!!
xoxoxoTheresa Renée

If you know me....I am tenacious....but THIS will require some assistance from my neighbor since some vital info is too close for any help from familysearch....but if I can get the start and a couple steps back....I should have some results...

LOL the heat will need to come from the SUN breaking though....sky and ground were both hazy white earlier....

Thanks Theresa.

Bad here also,. More on the way. A real New England winter this season!

2 days ago I got my autosomal matches from ftdna.com. Good news and bad news. I was able to verify a lot of the connections from a lot of different ancestral lines, for example the Duke family from Virginia, English, Upchurch, Bills, Pinnell, Calvert - one interesting fact about the surname Calvert is that it does match the surname Colbert from the Franklin, North Carolina and Virginia area. Other surnames I was able to verify are Eaton, Hathaway, Camp, Lee, Allen, and Baum, Summerlin, Fear, Hardy, Bailey, Arnold, Bucklin, and still counting. Everything seems to match to a T. I also seem to have a lot of English matches, and some Irish, and German primarily, just as the tree would indicate, and unfortunately I was unable to make any progress as of yet on breaking through my far back bricks walls, but stay turned.

That's great news, Matthew. Autosomal DNA matches are a great tool. There's something very satisfying about seeing your genealogy work proved out in the genes.

Hey Matthew!!! That is pretty darned cool news/info!
Enjoy!! And if you run across anything Kelly/Kelley, do let me in on it. ;-)

My Breakthrough, for this Valentine´s Friday is...
I´ve found a closer path to Mr. Stephen Martin (Steve Martin) and
Ta ta ta taaam!!!
ALSO, finally a blood relation path to Mr. Matthew Gregory Cox!!!
(for those who don´t know, my Mother is Maiden named Cox.)
http://www.geni.com/path/Theresa+Renee+El%C3%A9na+Delgado+Tossas+To...

[Not quite yet, a CLEAN COX line sweep all the way through... (9th cousin 1x removed)... but hey, it´s a definitely closer start than, Matthew Gregory Cox is your second cousin 15 times removed's husband's third cousin 7 times removed's husband's first cousin 6 times removed... which was our previous path for months!]

:-))

Theresa....LOL.....Next thing you know Matthew will be your uncle.

Matthew - fabulous. Our trees intersect so to have these lines confirmed also helps my tree. :). I'm pleased for you (and me). :):)

I learned a good lesson in basic genealogy this week, and I'm happy to be reminded. Sometimes there are things that any native could tell you, but you don't know enough to ask.

My closest Swanström DNA matches are with several members of a Briese family in Poland and Prussia. My first thought was a very simple theory -- Sweden had a 17th century empire in this part of the world, so one of my distant Swedes must have settled there, and because Swedes didn't have surnames yet, he must have adopted the surname Briese (for whatever reason).

No, no, they said. Their ancestor came from a noble Danish family. I like to pursue every lead, until it either pays off or it's so dead that I blush to ask again. So I started researching two noble families named von Briesen in Pomerania and Mark to see if they might have Danish roots. And trying to figure out how my rural Swedes could have come from Denmark. And trying to triangulate any family that might have close connections to this part of Sweden, to Denmark, and to this part of Pomerania all in the same period.

Last night I discovered just by accident that Briese is just the German version of a common Polish place name, Brzezie. Not only that, but this family of Brieses came from an area very near one of those towns.

Oh my word. Lots of wasted hours. I'm back to my original theory. I'm betting that their "noble Danish" ancestry is noble only in the way that all families become "noble" in the legends of their American descendants, and that they became "Danes" only after the Swedes got kicked out. -- "Swedes? No, not Swedes! We're Danes. We've always been Danes. Don't know where you got the idea we're Swedes. Do we look like Swedes??" ;)

I think you might be a mixture of Danes and Swedes. Also throw in some German and I think you have it. LOL

Good story and lesson.

Saturday update... it took a couple of days - - - I found my way back to Niall

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta is your 40th great grandfather.

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta is your 19th great aunt's 25th great grandfather.

Niall of the Nine Hostages, King of the Connachta

My 4th cousin uploaded his photo of an original mural inspired by the story of our common great grandfather

Capt. Vinet Fine

"this mural was on the Fines Creek Community Center buildings in Fines Creek, N.C. It depict the story of Vinet`s temporary burial under the ice of the creek, later name in honor of his disappearance. His body was never recovered."

For the DNA people, a mutation has been identified unique to his male descendants, many of whom now live in Arkansas. There's a bit more about him in the memorial they erected:

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000008971667979?album_type=photo...=

Its pretty amazing to me to have this documented history.

:) Nice Erica, did you have the DNA testing thing done? I was going to ask for it for my birthday.

Well, it's not Friday, but I want to say this while it's still fresh in my mind. I went to our local Historical soc . meeting. Paul K. did a wonder talk on the Civil war and the monitors. The Ironclads. He does a talk on the Civil War each yeah year. So this one was on the Ironclads ships. One of which was named Saugus. plus he talked about Gustav Gox , who was involved in getting the Ironclads built.along with another gentleman. Fox was also from Saugus and was also involved in buying Alaska from the Russians. All of this I already knew but there was so much involved. Paul really did a good job. But that's not what was interesting that happened . Before all this got started a man know from around town ,whose brother was a childhood friend,was there and was excited to say we are related. He had all the info. Most of which I knew except for his part. All these years i grew up in the say neighborhood ,all us kids played together and never knew we were related. Unbelievable. !.He had a whole packet of info to hand over to me.

Great Story :)

Judy a genealogy gift! Sweet. Thanks for posting.

He was trying connect his Parker , with my Parker but instead connected us another way!

I have added "Nebraska pioneer" to my tree, complementing the already known Massachusetts, Virginia, Idaho, and Oregon.

I'm excited to "meet" my 5th great aunt & uncle, Rachel Snowden & William Pleasant Snowden

rachel would be my first cousin 8 times removed's wife's first cousin thrice removed's wife.

Mary Denison is the common ancestor; she's a William Brewster of the Mayflower descendant.

Rachel Snowden is your fifth great uncle's great aunt's husband's first cousin's husband's wife's nephew's wife's first cousin once removed. fathers side.

Brewster Denison is your 18th cousin 7 times removed. all blue links for her on mothers side.

Rachel Snowden is Mary Brewster Denison's grandson's wife's first cousin thrice removed's wife.

Mary Brewster Denison

Ann Fitch
her daughter

Daniel W. Wetherell Richards
her son

Mary Richards
his wife

Lucretia Christophers
her mother

Mary Hamlin
her sister

Sarah L Snowden
her daughter

David Snowden
her son

Rev. William Snowden
his son

William P. Snowden
his son

Rachel Snowden
his wife

Yes, I read incorrectly on the Mayflower (Michael's is right - congratulations, Mike!).

Now it would be intriguing to explore links to you Shaz because I am guessing they go through England or Scotland?

Lynette Marie Evans Mother thru Prussia, very deep, William George Duthy Father thru England, usually

This goes thru Scotland:
John Nicol, of Minchenden House is Mary Brewster Denison's first cousin once removed's wife's aunt's husband's first cousin twice removed's wife's father.

I still had her clicked so got this as well :)
Mary Brewster Denison

Grace Brewster (Wetherell)
her mother

Benjamin Brewster, Lt.
her brother

Daniel Brewster
his son

Jonathan Brewster
his son

Mary Brewster
his wife

Mary Waddell
her mother

Rose Wadel Bruce
her sister

John Bruce
her husband

George Bruce
his father

Thomas Bruce, 3rd Earl of Elgin
his brother

Charles Bruce, 4th Earl of Elgin
his son

Mary Brydges
his daughter

James Brydges, 3rd Duke of Chandos
her son

Margaret Nicol
his wife

John Nicol, of Minchenden House
her father

My connection to Brewster is through Elder William Brewster. his daughter Patience who married Prence/Prince and then eventually down to me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Friends_SPL/status/455714388461121536

^ Getting my great-grandmother's diary from 1932-1934 in the mail was quite the shocking/pleasant/amazing surprise. A library Friends group found it in their donations, Googled her name, found her Geni profile (which is public), Googled her children's names from the profile, found my grandfather's name, found his obituary, found my father's name and town in it, looked him up in the phonebook, called and spoke with my mother, got my mailing info from her, and made my week by sending it along. I had no clue it was coming, so you can imagine my surprise!

Moral of the story: People may have heirlooms they want to get to you. Public profiles can help make that happen.

Holy smokes, Ashley! First off, that person from the Friends of the Library deserves some sort of award for persistence and determination in their hunt for you! Second, wow. Just wow! Anyone who keeps all of their profiles private should read that story twice... ;-)

Showing 511-540 of 594 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion