Any more records available?

Started by Sharon Gill on Saturday, April 20, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
4/20/2013 at 12:57 AM

I have had some wonderful success in the last few weeks, thanks to some great people responding to forum posts, tracing back the male family line to 1781 in what is now Sered, Slovakia (originally Szered, Hungary. My grandmothers side came from Misslitz, now Miroslav, Czech Republic.

I know that my Dad''s parents & sister, and one of his uncles, met their demise in the Holocaust, but there were 2 other uncles, and one Aunt, for whom I cannot trace any information. The latter were all born in Frauenkirchen, now Austria, but was originally Boldogasszony, Hungary.

I have applied to the ITS for any possible information, searched the Hungarian records on family search, but can find nothing further on them. It seems that families went in different directions in those days and I wondered if there were any others records I could research?

I am visiting these areas in August and have permission to go to the old Jewish cemeteries, but would like to do as much research in advance as possible. Any advice gratefully received.

Families I am researching are:

Weinberger - Szered & Frauenkirchen
Kohn - Farad, Hungary
Huschak - Misslitz, Czech Republic

Many thanks

Sharon

4/20/2013 at 3:01 AM

have you gone to the nevek klarsfeld database?

also, project heart?

I have a weinberger connection family from hungary...they at one time were a wealthy family from ladjano...my great uncle issac klein managed their farm....

another place to look of course is jewish gen and the associated kahila links.

the kohn famly is where Bella Kun came from...they changed their name at one point...he was the president of hungary for 133 days...and half jewish...he also became a communist dictator and even lenin told him to slow down. after he was deposed he was killed in a soviet gulag some years later.

my grandfather was living on a farm when a pogrom retaliating against Kun was sponsored by the Arrow Cross in 1920...everyone on the farm but him was killed while he was hiding. The Arrow Cross became Hungary's facist party and ruled for many years...my grandfather was given three days to leave town and the area for good by the gendarmes...he was smuggled out of the country.

anyways...that is as much as i can help you.

MK

4/20/2013 at 9:17 AM

KUN is my 23rd great grandmother
Erzsébet of the Kumans, Queen consort of Hungary
you might explore how you are linked to me
sharon,
interesting history michael, thanks for sharing it

warm regards, susan

Private User
4/21/2013 at 7:53 AM

JewishGen Hungary database has records for VEINBERGER fm Szered from 1848 and 1869 Census. Others as well. Also check the Yad Vashem Central Database.

Vivian Kahn
JewishGen Hungarian SIG Coordinator

4/23/2013 at 10:39 PM

there was a book written about the weinberger family called a journey to volovo i believe...you can google it...put in ladjano as well.

MK

4/24/2013 at 2:33 AM

Thanks to all. I have well and tryly researched the JewishGen databases, and used the great facility of the SIG digests.

I will look to research the book - thanks Mitchell. I have never heard of this, so could be very interesting

4/24/2013 at 6:50 AM

Perhaps you will find something on my Old web site:

Rohel-Bach-Bohm-Loeb + Associates
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=53172276&pageid=r&m...

4/29/2013 at 10:49 AM

Have you tried MACSE.org it is the Hungarian Genealogical Society's website/database. I have found a lot there on my Hungarian relatives (though mostly 1880s and later). But well worth the 10 euro annual membership.

5/1/2013 at 2:40 AM

Mitchell - thanks for telling me about the book. I have a copy now which I will read whilst on holiday this week :) I have also been in contact with the author, but not sure there is any relationship there.

Seth - many thanks to you for letting me know about the site. I have applied for membership :)

Private User
5/29/2013 at 3:33 AM

It would be nice of Nevek Klarsfeld was mac friendly

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion