Benjamin Nye - Origins of Benjamin Nye: Examining the Sources

Started by John H. Nye on Sunday, April 14, 2013
Showing all 6 posts
4/14/2013 at 6:46 PM

According to the Nye Family Association's latest research done in 2007 there is no documented source of Benjamin's father, birthdate or verification of his birthplace. They have some referring documents that he is possibly from Saugus, now Lynn. Therefore I am going to remove the birth city and relationship to Thomas until someone can find a substantial source that is verifiable by the Nye Family of America Association. I will leave the birthdate since it is circa.

5/30/2013 at 9:36 PM

John

I've made your Benjamin Nye a Master Profile, added a "parents unknown" curator note, and "field locked" known & documented facts. This should prevent degradation of data in a merge environment. If anything needs updating any curator can unlock / relock those fields on request.

Great work and contributions. My thanks.

5/15/2020 at 7:47 AM

This is a source, while not documented, it does have information about him: A genealogy of the Nye family, page 27
by Nye, George Hyatt, b. 1854; Nye Family of America Association; Best, Frank E. (Frank Eugene), b. 1860; Nye, Robert Glen, 1910-; Nye, L. Bert (Luther Bert), 1913-

https://archive.org/details/genealogyofnyefa00nyeg/page/n29/mode/2u...

5/15/2020 at 7:51 AM

Refers to a source: • Dates & Events. 82,503
Thomas Nye, son of Thomas and Katherine (Poulsden) Nye of Bidlenden, County Ken, was a haberdasher. On June 10, 1619. he married for his second wife Agnes Rye. The name of his first wife who had died is not known. His second wife, whose age is given as thirty-nine, was of the same Parish and was the widow of Henry Rye (Marriage Licenses, Archbishop of Canterbury Court). July 4 1637, he granted to his youngest son Thomas, four acres of land in Biddenden together with a building part of a fold-course and state in the document "my oldest son Benjamin having gone to New England." (Cleark of Peace Rolls).

Source: http://ellis-pagoria.com/getperson.php?personID=I21022&tree=ellis

5/15/2020 at 5:17 PM

Alice Zoe Marie Knapp Thank you for adding these references. It would be good to find out what the latest thinking is.

5/20/2020 at 11:46 AM

Alice - The documents you have shared above are older than the latest research by the Nye Family of America outlined in their documentation:

ORIGINS of BENJAMIN NYE Examining the Sources $3.00
Reprint of 2006 article by Ian Hilder,
George R. Nye, Jonathan Shaw
http://www.nyefamily.org/books.html#anchor1

If you believe your documentation is more accurate than the Nye Family has then please contact the Nye Family genealogist:

Julia (Judy) Hendy, genealogist
JuliaHendy@cs.com

ORIGINS OF BENJAMIN1 NYE: EXAMINING THE SOURCES
By Ian Hilder, George R. Nye, Jonathan A. Shaw

A booklet published in 2007 by the Nye Family of America Association, Inc.

For some years, several Nye family researchers were concerned about inconsistencies found with the information published on the ancestral line of Benjamin1, in A Genealogy of the Nye Family (1907) by George H. Nye and Frank E. Best. To address these concerns, in 2001 The Nye Family of America Association hired English genealogist Ian Hilder to examine all available records that might shed light on the English origins of Benjamin Nye. He collaborated with Association members George R. Nye and Jonathan A. Shaw. The results of their careful research were published in two articles in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register in 2004 and 2005.

The basic conclusion: the 1907 research did have some errors, and key references were unsupported by evidence. Benjamin’s ancestry could not be confirmed, including the claimed Danish roots. For this reason the Nye Family Association ceased the sale of merchandise that featured the Danish coat-of-arms.

We encourage researchers to obtain the booklet, which also contains a summary of what we know about the life of Benjamin1 Nye after he came to New England. It can be purchased for $3 at the museum or through this website. Free copies are provided to purchasers of American Nyes of English Origin Volumes I (1978) and II (1980), by L. Bert Nye, Jr.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion