Abraham Enloe - Abraham Enloe

Started by Marlene Matthewson on Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
3/27/2013 at 11:02 AM

Not so sure Enloe was Abe's father. Read things pro and con.

4/10/2013 at 12:40 PM

Having read the article(s) by R. Vincent Enlow (http://genealogytoday.com/us/lincoln/index.html being a synopsis of and containing the pictures referenced in the primary article http://www.genealogytoday.com/us/lincoln/genesis.pdf) about the parentage of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA, I have a few thoughts:

1) I dislike the author Vincent Enlow's hyperbole (tendency to the excess flair); the style strikes me as political oratory rather reasoned historical research.

2) However, the cited information is quite consistent with the Hanks history, as noted in this discussion topic: http://www.geni.com/discussions/83182, particularly starting with where Vicky Paulson joined in the conversation: http://www.geni.com/discussions/83182?msg=818232

So, now that the Nancy Lincoln lineage seems to be somewhat clarified (thanks to Vicky Reany Paulson), there may be some 'stirring of the stew' as to the true identity of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA's father: was it Abraham Enloe or Thomas Lincoln ?

4/10/2013 at 2:55 PM

Kind of a hoary old chestnut from 1899 actually

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/04/27/969663/-The-Paternity-of-A...

4/11/2013 at 4:48 AM

I can settle this matter, completely. Charles Friend wrote this letter to William Herndon on July31, 1889. I heard the question put to Old Abe Enlows by my brother in law, Mr. A. H. Redman, with another gentleman present, Dr. W. H . Holt. Redman asked if it was true, that he is the father of Abe Lincoln. He remarked that it was an honor to be proud to even be thought of as a father of a President. But, I said, he was only 15 years old when Abe was born. Then said Redman, you could not have been, being you were only 14 when he was begotten. Now, said Abe Enlow, to set the story straight, I will say I never put my hands on her, and further, I believe he is the son of Thomas Lincoln. I think this all grew out of his name being the same as mine, but I can account for the name. His grandfather was Abraham Lincoln, was killed by the Indians on the Salt River, not far from where we now stand. Abraham Enloe, himself, stated this isn't correct. Vicky Paulson

4/11/2013 at 4:53 AM

Logic will tell you Enloe couldn't have paid Thomas Lincoln $200.00, to marry Nancy Hanks, and then she had his son. She was already married to him, and already had a daughter, Sarah. The use of documents would eliminate this crazy idea.

4/11/2013 at 5:34 AM

Once again, thank you, Vicky!

4/11/2013 at 5:35 AM

I´m with Vicky on this one.

<3

4/11/2013 at 5:36 AM

p.s. Great Work on the Hanks, line too, Everyone!!!!

4/11/2013 at 6:19 AM

I am doing genealogy and my grandfather William Lincoln looked just like Abe. I found info for an Elijah Lincoln who was a second cousin of Abe. He was the son of Leonard and Nancy Lincoln. I believe Elijah's brother was John Robert who is my great grandfather and buried in Madrid IA. We can not go very much further. Only know where Leonard is buried. There is a census record that shows that Elijah and John Robert lived in the same town. In my lineage....William Lincoln was born in Crawford Co IL. In question of Abe's father, I cannot understand that Sarah Lincoln was older than Abe so she must have been illegitimate too. I have read that now Sarah was younger than Abe which has to be proven. I also read that Nancy Hanks was 5' 10" which was quite tall so must have been born of taller parents.

4/11/2013 at 6:27 AM

I would not get misled, by Nancy Hanks... Highth... as I have seen numerous small families... have a child or two, grow wide over their heads... due to 1 tall ancestor... who´s genes just happend to pop out, in their generation.

4/11/2013 at 1:10 PM

As I am five feet even & my brother is 5'11 I found the height argument particularly useless .... :)

Vicky Paulson, you are an inspiration to genealogists. Thank you.

4/12/2013 at 5:22 AM

Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln were married, there is a license to prove it! Sarah was born, very legitimate, 8 months later. None of their three children were illegitimate. Nancy Hanks was tall and slender, but, by many descriptions of her, she was about 5'7" tall. Tom Lincoln wasn't tall, but his father and brothers were. The Hanks men are also very tall. You shouldn't go by height. Example: my parents, black hair, mom blue eyes, both 5'4", I'm 5', with green eyes, and black hair, next sister blue eyes, 5'2", blonde hair, next sister, 5'7" black hair brown eyes. Middle sister is very petite, I'm very stocky, youngest sister average. Height is just not something that proves anything. You want to see where Lincoln gets those ears, look at the photo, online, of Thomas's brother! Those are Lincoln ears! His nose is very Hanks. Black hair, on both sides.Facial structure, very Hanks.

4/12/2013 at 5:47 AM

We love licenses, to prove things! Awesome! Guess, that clears up, THAT question! ;-) <3

4/12/2013 at 6:46 AM

Like I said....my Grandpa William Lincoln had the same characteristics of Abe. All of their pictures were destroyed by a fire so have only two pictures of him. My mother wasn't a shutterbug like me. I do not have many pics of her childhood either because of that fire. We were always told we were descendants of Abe but cannot go back further than Leonard Lincoln. Would love to prove it tho.

6/13/2013 at 8:19 PM

I attended a meeting at the Rutherford County, NC Lincoln Center in Bostic, NC. just 5 miles from me. The mentioned in this meeting that they had a DNA prolect going to see if Abraham Enloe was the father of Abraham Lincoln. They tested one of enloe's family menbers with the flag the had the presidents blood on it. That was on the 13th May. I did not get to attend this months meeting to find out if they had results get.I will try to make to their July meeting. If results are in I will let you know for sure what they were.

6/14/2013 at 8:23 PM

Why is Abraham Enloe still a topic of discussion? He admitted himself, that he was only 14 when Abraham Lincoln was conceived, is not his father, and believes Thomas Lincoln is his father, in a published interview! Let's think here, Nancy Hanks was already married to Tom Lincoln, AND had Sarah, so nobody paid Tom Lincoln off, to marry Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Any blood found on a flag, would be contaminated with other DNA, and would be useless for any DNA study. And where would this flag be from, to get Lincolns' blood on it? The bunting that hung over the Presidental box, at Fords Theater would most likely be the only source and would not have his blood on them, as he was shot point blank, and the bullet remained in his scull, and did not come out the front, to get on that bunting. The wound was clotted, and the doctors removed the clot, when he was laying in the bed, to take the pressure off the brain. So how would blood get on a flag?

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion