Pope Francis I (aka: Jorge Mario Bergoglio)

Started by Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota on Sunday, March 24, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
3/24/2013 at 4:43 PM

Recently, I just saw a recent photograph of Pope Francis I (aka: Jorge Mario Bergoglio). I had to take a second look at him as he was an almost look-a-like to an individual named Maj. Gen. Norman D. Cota of World War II fame?
I would have stopped there, but I began to look into "The Bergoglio Family" background. To my surprise... I found that both The Bergoglio and Cota families origins are from Northern Italy. I have pinned "Cota" to come from the City of Verona, but so far, nothing on Bergoglio.
There is a rumor that "The Bergogio Family" may have possible Crypto-Jewish ancestry from many Centuries ago? originIy, "The Cota Family" also had Crypto-Jewish orgin. If there is a connection, then this opens up some very interesting historic questions?
I would like to explore this possible connection.

Thanks;

Al

Private User
3/24/2013 at 9:12 PM

Here is our profile for Pope Francis.

Malka Mysels, you might be interested in exploring this theory.

3/25/2013 at 4:39 AM

Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota & Private User . A while back, Justin Durand came across excellent links re the Italian family background of Pope Francis.

1. http://www.famigliacristiana.it/chiesa/news_1/articolo/ecco-l-alber... (Use Google Translate)

2.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324077704578358630745...

3. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1564072-soy-bergoglio-cura-vida-intima-y... (Use Google Translate)

4. https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/soc.genealogy.m...

In Summary:

The Pope's Parents:
-Mario Jose Bergoglio m. 1935 [b. 2 Apr. 1908, Turin] 

-Maria Regina Sivori 

His Grandparents:

-Juan Bergoglio[= Giovanni Angelo Bergoglio, b. 13 Aug. 1884 (reg'd 14/8/1884), Asti, moved to Turin, 1 Jan. 1906, m. 1907, Turin, returned to Asti 1918, left Asti for Argentina, 1 Feb. 1929] 

-Rosa Margarita Vasallo (arrived in B.A. from Italy, Jan. 1929)[= Rosa Vassallo, of Liguria]

(Juan) John Angelo Bergoglio moved to Turin on 1 January 1906, where he married the following year with Rosa Vassallo, Ligurian* original local countryside, and where Mario was born April 2, 1908, father of the Pope.'s family, however, he returned to live in Asti in 1918, from which he left on 1 February 1929 for Argentina.

*Liguria is adjectival for Leghorn or "Livorno" See (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/Livorno.html) Perhaps a possible place to start looking for the connection you seek.

3/25/2013 at 2:00 PM

Al, It appears that the Bergoglio family is from a small village Portacomaro (Province of Asti) in Italy's Piedmont region. This is located in the northwest part of Italy while Verona is located in the northeast part of Italy.

That is not to say that there is always a possible link. It is always fun to explore all possibilities.

Many Catholics have ancestor of Jewish origins. I was raised Catholic, but have had discussion before with priest about the fact that we Catholics are Jewish in origin, which leads me to believe that my early ancestors are Jewish. While I have not been able to find that link, I have not given up on the search.

Religion is fascinating and thanks to their record keeping through the centuries, we have access to some of our best genealogical discoveries.

3/25/2013 at 11:20 PM

Joel Scott Cognevich - You might consider a DNA test, the prices have come done. The test can say if you have "Middle Eastern" ancestry.

3/26/2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks Hatte Anne Blejer I don't want to veer too far away from the original subject that Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota intended for this discussion, but I wanted to address your comment. I have performed many DNA test.

While my Haplogroup shows migration through the Middle East, keep in mind this is estimated to be about 40,000 years ago; I don't think I will be finding any ancestors that far back....

I do hope more and more people will participate in DNA testing.

3/29/2013 at 1:39 PM

Hello All... Thank you for all your imput, it is very helpful. In regards to "The Cota Family" origins in what is NO. Italy... it is very possible that a number of these families intemarried with one another oh so long ago. More recently... I found that an influx of The Popes Bergoglio Cousins immigrated to The United States (Largest Consentration in The Greater New York Area) , like "The Cota's, they may be of minor nobility and there are a number of Cota Coats of Arms. I just find the facial resemblances between Gen. Cota and Pope Francis I, almost astounding!
I wish I can import a photo comparrison of both od them :)

Al

3/29/2013 at 2:42 PM

Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota Check out the media tab on the profile of Major General Norman Daniel "Dutch" Cota. I added a combination photo of Pope Francis and Major General Cota for you. They do indeed have a similar appearance.

3/30/2013 at 10:08 PM

Hello Malka Mysels... Thank you for adding the photos. I just added additional photos of the Pope and The General that you might like to see :)

Al

5/13/2013 at 2:39 PM

Hello Malka and All... Recently I attended The Los Angeles Heritage Alliance Conference in Los Angeles. I met a Genealogist from The Southern Genealogical Society, and I showed some of my information. Yes... she too was astounded at the facial similarities and indeed suggested that I do get a full Genealogy DNA test. According to the genealogist, my personal facial resemblance comes close to "Geovanni Bergoglio"... The Popes Grandfather. I plan to get my DNA test this June at The Genological Jamboree in Burbank. :)

5/13/2013 at 5:22 PM
9/21/2013 at 12:29 AM

Update: In my research to discern if there a family connection between The Bergogilio and The Cota Family is still being researched. The latest I discovered is The Northern Italian City of Asti (where many of the Bergoglio families resided is in the provental region of Piedmont. At present' the present President of Piedmont is Roberto Cota. Additionally... it would seen anciently, both origins may have come from this area after all?
More research is needed to find if there is a direct family connection. And the remarkable family resemblances, I think I am on to something?

10/1/2013 at 6:52 PM

Alfred, keep up the research! While it is both exciting and challenging at the same time, the overall experience should be fun! Keep us posted on future finds.

9/9/2015 at 8:18 PM

Hello All... With the forthcoming visit of Pope Francis I to The United States later this month, I hope that additional genealogical links can be found. I think that it could be a welcoming thought and aura to expand our research and find how connected he is to All of us.

9/22/2015 at 9:51 AM

Excellent idea! Connecting Pope Francis to the World Tree would be a phenomenal achievement! Perhaps it can be done through the extended family of one of his brothers and sisters?

9/26/2015 at 5:27 PM

Video of Pope Francis' Sublimely Beautiful Interfaith 9/11 Prayer Memorial Service

http://www.usccb.org/media/video/index.cfm?bcpid=3977646477001&...

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion