Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 30 posts
Private User
2/16/2013 at 6:16 PM

Richard White of Hutton, born c. 1500-1516

Many extant genealogies give this gentleman's parentage as:

son of Richard White (1454-1490), son of John White (1422-1469) and Eleanor or Alice Hungerford (this leads into a messy "Nest" that I'll go into later)

and of "Maud Tirell", "daughter" of Sir William Tyrrell of Heron (c. 1430-1471) - killed at the battle of Barnet during the Wars of the Roses. (The quotation marks are because there is no primary documentation for the existence of this "daughter".)

The obvious problems should be immediately apparent: father died ten years before his son was born? and a mother who must have started childbearing at 30 or so and kept it up until she was about 50?

Not Pygmalion likely! :-D

The "Nest" just makes it worse. Allegedly, John White's alleged widow, Eleanor or Alice Hungerford (Geni dates given as c. 1426-1454) became the second wife of said Sir WIlliam Tyrrell circa 1470 (what, fourteen years after she died?); and "Maud Terrill" was his "daughter" by his *first* wife, Eleanor Darcy (c. 1421-1476 - seems she outlived Sir William and there was no chance for him to have a second wife at all). And the kicker is, "Maud" was allegedly born c. 1456! Having children from her 40s into her 60s? Fuhgeddaboutit! :-D

It looks very much as though someone in Elizabethan times, or even later - maybe much later - slapped together a glamorous pedigree without pausing to consider any practical realities.

This much may be true: that Richard White of Hutton was the son of *a* Richard White (that name does run in streaks down the family), and of a woman who may have been named (or known as) "Maud", and may have been of *some* branch of the Terrill/Tirrell/Tyrell family (there were lots of them, all over Essex) - but not the daughter of Sir Willian Tyrell of Heron.

The Geni lineage has been amended accordingly.

Associated profiles:
Richard Whyte
Sir Richard White, Kt.
Maud White
William Tyrrell
Eleanor Tyrell
John White
Eleanor Garth

2/16/2013 at 7:11 PM

Great work Maven! Thank you.

Private User
2/16/2013 at 8:14 PM

That's where - and why - I quit back-tracing the White family line. It got too snarled-up for me to want to deal with. :-D

The disinformation is found in "Genesis of the White Family", by Emma Siggins White (wife of John Barber White) - JBW was a passionate but horribly unsystematic (and, I suspect, gullible at best) amateur genealogist, and she seems to have caught the fever from him. The items regarding the purported White-Terrill link are scattered, slapdash, careless, inconsistent, and quite noticeably date-free.

"Genesis" is what I would consider a bad tertiary source - citations of primary sources are very, very few, reliance on secondary sources of unknown and unverified quality is extreme, and everywhere family legend is unquestioningly accepted and reported as fact.

(The post-immigration sections, being of more recent date and with more information available, are better but still not up to modern standards.)

2/20/2013 at 10:05 PM

Erica Howton Private User

Pedigrees from the visitation of Hampshire made by Thomas Benolt, Clarenceulx a 1530 ....
http://archive.org/stream/pedigreesfromvis64beno#page/81/mode/1up

The above Visitation lists Richard as the son of Allice Hungerford & John White of Swanborne, he married Maud dau. of Sir Willm. Tirrell of Heron. Their children where Richard (m. Margerett Shirley) Suzan (m. Thom. Tong Clarenceux), Mary (m. _ Whithed, _ Spenser), and Joane (m. _ Wilcocks) White
Richard White & Margarett Sherley are listed as the parents of George White who married Catherine Strowde

The visitations of Essex .....
http://archive.org/stream/visitationsofess13metc#page/321/mode/1up

This also lists Richard White as marrying the dau. of Sir William Tirrell and having children Richard (m. Margarett Stirley/Shirley), etc.

Do you see a problem with me merging the two Richard White's and their wives Terrill?

Richard White, Jr., of Hutton
Sir Richard White, Kt.

Maud White
Wife of Richard White

Private User
2/20/2013 at 10:12 PM

Yes, I see a TERRIBLE problem. There is about fifty years between the two generations. That simply does not work.

Somebody, somewhere got things all bollixed up.

Private User
2/20/2013 at 10:15 PM

(Continued) As a matter of fact, the utter biological impossibility is why I created "Richard White 1a" and "NN Terrill" in the first place.

He may be the son of *a* Richard White, and she may be the son of *a* member of the numerous Terrill/Tirrell/Tyrell clan of Essex, maybe even of the Heron subset. But no way she's the daughter of the guy who was killed at the battle of Barnet in 1471, when she MUST have been born after 1480!

Private User
2/20/2013 at 10:17 PM

Daughter, not son - ack-pthuie!

Private User
2/20/2013 at 10:49 PM

(counting to 1000, slowly)

I just repeated, in condensed form, what I said in the very first message in this discussion.

Puffing up and faking up glamorous pedigrees is a *very* old practice, and this is a *very* obvious example.

Do. Not. Merge.

Private User
2/22/2013 at 7:04 AM

As to why Thomas Benolt, Clarenceux Herald, would be inclined to take Sir Richard's pedigree at face value: Sir Richard was in good favor with Henry VIII, and his daughter Susan was a maid of honor to Princess Mary. (This was before Anne Boleyn played all merry heck with court politics.) Under the circumstances, asking too many questions would be rude, if not dangerous.

Private User
2/22/2013 at 7:07 AM

Or would that be his *sister* Susan? It depends on which Sir Richard we're talking about - one of the problems of repeating the same name too often in the same family.

Anyway, Susan wound up marrying Benolt's successor, Thomas Tonge, hence she was widely known as "Susan Clarenceux".

Private User
3/16/2013 at 8:10 PM

Reconnected the family lines with the additional Richard White and NN White placed in between the White/Terrill and White/Strelly generations. I'm still not confident about it, especially since the farther back the White line is traced, the more dubious the linkages become. There are probably a few runs of sound linkages, but then they jump off in other directions with no good foundations - White of Somerset to White of York, White of Yeatley/Yatley/Yaxley (in Surrey) spliced onto the York line without explanation, dubious and undocumented linkage from York to London (standing broad jump of three, maybe four undocumented generations), etc.

Most of the possibly-related White lines include in their arms a chevron between three creatures (or creatures' heads) of divers types. The York line has no chevron.

Y-DNA research shows - predictably, from such a common name - multiple male lines running in many different directions.

Private User
3/16/2013 at 8:51 PM

A further complication is that "Gules, three wolves' heads erased argent, langued and armed azure" properly belongs to Robertson of Struan, of Scotland!

Private User
3/16/2013 at 8:59 PM

...Removed.

11/11/2018 at 3:07 AM

SmartCopyConsistency Check:The age of Maud Terrill White exceeds 125 years.
Sir Richard White, Kt. died before his marriage date.
Richard White, Jr., of Hutton born after the death of his father Sir Richard White, Kt.
.Richard Whyte, II born after the death of his father Sir Richard White, Kt..

11/11/2018 at 3:23 AM

Private User, can you come and check this, and tell me how you think it should be Relationship Locked?

11/11/2018 at 3:41 AM

No evidence tht Maud White# is the daughter of William Tyrrell. Cutting this relationship first.

11/11/2018 at 4:05 AM

Removing her dates and the 1576 marriage date.

Private User
11/11/2018 at 7:03 AM

Sounds like somebody effed it up after I had sorted it out. This happens ALL TOO OFTEN.

Private User
11/11/2018 at 7:14 AM

Yep, somebody's been messing around. John White has a Duplicate wife and Duplicate descendants, not to mention jumping up Private a generation too early.

Things like this are why I sometimes despair of Geni ever becoming an even semi-reliable resource - too many people who *think* they know what they're doing, and make royal messes for other people to clean up again and again and again.

Private User
11/11/2018 at 8:06 AM

Moves, merges, corrections now have the tree back to something like where I left it. No good cutting anybody loose, some damnfool would just reattach them - this has happened too many times.

I'm not sure that Mark White of Timsbury and his brother are of this family, but they'll only get reattached if I cut them.

https://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000001831684121 should be "Sir Robert White, KB". See About.

I've never been happy with Margaret Gaynsford's birth date - *very* unlikely it was as early as 1440, though 1450 is possible (and 1450-1460 a reasonable range). Unfortunate that none of her siblings have birth dates either.

11/11/2018 at 8:12 AM
Private User
11/11/2018 at 8:12 AM

Struggling with HTML tree and finding it slow, clumsy crippleware. Needs a LOT of work before it will compare with the old Adobe Flash version.

11/11/2018 at 8:13 AM

Have the duplicates on John White been fixed? I can't see them.

Private User
11/11/2018 at 8:14 AM

Much better. :-)

Private User
11/11/2018 at 8:15 AM

Yeah, I merged them all in. As I said, they can't be cut - have to be merged.

11/11/2018 at 8:16 AM

I don't work on it - it irritates me :-)

If you're happy with a profile's relationships, post it here and I'll RL it. That shuld go a ong way to keeping it stable.
(Also, put a note in the Spurious Pedigrees project about the bogus genealogy here)

Private User

This is one part of the tree I am *very* familiar with - not entirely by choice.

should go a long

Private User
11/11/2018 at 8:18 AM

Fortunately we seem to have blocked out the worst of the bogus genealogy, i.e. conflating *these* Whites with the Somerset Whites who were John Barber White's *real* ancestors. Only one shadow profile that was a *possible* Somerset White, easily corrected and merged.

11/11/2018 at 8:22 AM

Yaay

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion