Geoffrey Chaucer - 18th great- grandfather!

Started by Kristin Felicia VanNest on Friday, February 15, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
2/15/2013 at 1:08 PM

I am very excited!

Private User
2/15/2013 at 9:26 PM

The lineage doesn't run through Frances White Wells, does it? (She may not be who everybody thinks she is. Daughter of Sir Richard White she may be, but if so it would be by his first wife - which spoils a lot of links.)

2/16/2013 at 5:09 AM

You'd have to ask genius that or the curator & manager of the profile

2/16/2013 at 5:10 AM

Geni* not genius... damn autocorrect lol

2/16/2013 at 5:36 AM

And no, I do not see her name on my line

Private User
2/16/2013 at 8:22 AM

Well, lucky you! He's supposed to be my 19th great-uncle - but there's Frances White Wells in the middle of it. :-P So maybe he isn't. :-(

2/16/2013 at 9:37 AM

Well I would say run it by the manager of the profile or the curator & see what they have to say

Private User
2/16/2013 at 10:50 AM

Been trying that, but it's very difficult to prove a negative. Sir Richard White and Lady Catherine Weston did have a daughter Frances, but she was (probably) born in the early 1630s so can't have been of age to marry anybody until years after Dr. Richard Wells had latched onto "his" Frances White and started procreating. There have been attempts to crock the dates to make them work, but they crash against this:

Lady Catherine Weston, baptized at Roxwell 8 June 1607. That is found in multiple sources and is about as definite as anything gets in genealogy.

While we don't have a death date for Anne Gray, or the names of any other of her children besides Mary (m. Philip Waldegrave), or a marriage date for Sir Richard White and Lady Catherine, we do have the argument that marriage at or before fourteen and motherhood at fifteen is not all that likely. (And certainly not two generations in a row!)

5/22/2018 at 9:08 AM

and just like that, he is now my 20th great uncle. by marriage lol

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion