Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 27 posts
Private User
2/15/2013 at 2:06 AM

Just finished beheading and reconnecting my family tree, JUST to get rid of one lousy Bad Merge that I couldn't do anything about because I had no rights whatsoever over that one profile.

There's a long, LONG way from Yorkshire to London, and it's not nice to make a bigamist of somebody because you *think* hes the same as somebody else!

Private User
2/19/2013 at 7:54 PM

Now I'm working a very messy section of the early Griffith family tree in Maryland. I keep finding profiles that don't and can't belong - so I'm developing a bogus "family line" to park them on until I find out where they *do* belong.

Private User
2/19/2013 at 10:40 PM

If you are missing access to profiles, ask for it.
For public profiles you have to collaborate with one of the managers and for private you need familygroup acess.

You find options for both in the [Actions] menu on the manager's profile.

If you cut connections just because you don't have edit access to the other profile is destroying the tree of others just to "fix" your own and the usual actions is that you risk getting suspended as a Geni user for vandalism.

Private User
2/20/2013 at 6:31 AM

I've found a better way to deal with it - wish I had known about it back then.

Private User
2/20/2013 at 6:47 PM

Nasty mess in the Edward Waters line, centering around:

Unknown Profile
Unknown Profile
Susannah Terrell

The first two are probably the same, the third one certainly is NOT.

There's also a problem with:
William Terrell
Unknown Profile
William Terrell
William Terrell, of Hanover County

At least two and maybe three people have been bollixed up together by at least one bad merge.

I'm not even going to say anything about the parentage of Grace O'Neil except - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pull the other leg, it's got bells on!

Private User
2/20/2013 at 7:13 PM

Got one of the Susannahs merged properly, so that only leaves Martha Susanna Terrell (Waters) and the four Williams

Private User
2/20/2013 at 8:47 PM

Two four-parent messes in close proximity in the same tree:

Marie Madeleine Hardin

and

Martin Hardin

I'm not going to try to sort them out - not my part of the family, not my area of knowledge, not my responsibility!

2/20/2013 at 11:28 PM

I sorted Marie de la Chaumette & the Hoge tree. Not so bad - a couple of zombies, some dups to be merged, and then cut wrong parents. I've been in both trees before; I'm related to both; and the "immigrant generation" is where I concentrate, so glad to take it on.

I'll take more of a look at the Hardin's tomorrow.

Private User
2/21/2013 at 6:41 AM

Thanks, Erica! Looks like we've found a practical use for this discussion instead of just a general kvetch-in. :-)

Private User
2/23/2013 at 12:19 AM

Martha Susanna Waters Terrill's children are still all messed up, and some of them probably belong to the previous generation.

Since she's successfully grounded "John Waters of London" and proved conclusively that he isn't directly related to the Anne Arundel Waters family, I think I'll leave he mess for someone else to cleanup. :-D

Private User
2/23/2013 at 12:19 PM

Ohboy - three of Martin Hardewyn, and they all have four parents!

Tree view http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000000969845634

Martin Hardin

2/23/2013 at 1:10 PM

Maven I'll "catch" this one, but you gots to give it time, particularly if it involves research and documenting. If there's a clear cut and merge point for an already sourced profile, and it's just technical, can do quickly; otherwise - not so much.

Private User
2/23/2013 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, it looked like something was "in progress". I wonder which parents were/are the realsies?

Private User
5/16/2013 at 7:48 AM

"Give it time", she said. How many months? Or is it going to take years?

5/16/2013 at 9:02 AM

Did I forget to follow up on this? I'm so sorry, I got distracted I guess. Later today ok?

Private User
5/16/2013 at 9:04 AM

You may not be aware of the workload that curators have, Maven. Most of us have literally thousands of lines that we tend to and field hundreds of help requests from users. We are also unpaid here and have real-life jobs.

I know you've said in the past that you have extensive genealogical experience and access to databases through work. You also have a Pro account, meaning you can do most of the things we can do as curators. The relationship changes you've mentioned, for example, can easily be done by you with your Pro privileges. And you can find and upload documentation just as easily as we can. Perhaps if you need this done very quickly, it would be best to attempt handling it yourself?

I know you said you'd prefer to "leave [t]he mess for someone else to cleanup," but as my mother taught me growing up, that's usually just a surefire way to make sure the mess grows. So we'd love your help with this.

Private User
5/16/2013 at 12:58 PM

OK, but I'm also quite limited in the amount of information I can access. If it's free and on the Web I can find it, given time - if it's behind a paywall, not so much.

Has anybody noticed that "AncestryLibrary" (the version of Ancestry.com made available to public libraries) is crippleware with drastically reduced access? I certainly have!

Private User
5/16/2013 at 1:10 PM

Martin Hardin (Hardewyn) still has four parents and it doesn't look as though *any* of them are all that great. His birth date is given as October 10, 1650, which means he needs a mother born between (at earliest) 1610 and (at latest) 1635. Paternal dates are a bit more flexible but I'd reckon the range as 1590-1630.

Marc Hardin is right out - he died in 1634.
John W Hardewyn is a better bet (born 1625) but his wife is unlikely (see below).
I think we can count out Marie De La Hardin (wife of Marc Hardin) because she would probably be too old.
On the other hand Francis Hardin (Boyer - wife of John W. Hardewyn) is too young - she was born in 1639, and barring a medical near-miracle she wouldn't be having a child at age 11.

So now what? Just de-parent him and leave him "Parentage unknown"?

Private User
5/16/2013 at 1:16 PM

For the present I'm speccing him as the son of John W Hardewyn and unidentified first wife who died within a few years after he was born (possibly *when* he was born). That gets around the age mismatch, but adds to the confusion.

Private User
5/16/2013 at 1:20 PM

A curator, I think, will have to finish the job and get him off Francis Hardin (Boyer) - I have no access to his Relationship page and I get the "Would split tree" error if I try to do it from Tree view.

Private User
5/16/2013 at 1:24 PM

Oh, more fun - he also has an *aunt* named Francis Hardin (Boyer)?

5/16/2013 at 1:24 PM

I'm fine with not knowing what we don't know (and eliminating the impossible). It's an opportunity for another researcher to pursue in further depth - the value of a collaborative tree.

I'll take a quick look to "smell test" what you've got and MP from there. Sometimes when I've done disconnects I've added a link, within the overview, of where I found it from (the Geni profile). Again this could help the next researcher ... Who could be you in the future!

5/16/2013 at 1:26 PM

Cross posted - you're getting at the source of the snarl with Francis. Any luck with dates for her?

5/16/2013 at 1:40 PM

Just throwing into this discussion another followup item:

Daniel Reynaud

(with impossible dates)

Is he related to the General Louis de Reynaud family?

I'm pretty sure the Louis Reynaud's married Hardin's (and now I remember why I wanted to be involved with the Hardwyn tree)

5/16/2013 at 1:54 PM

Maven if you figure the death dates are not valid and go by birth dates, Frances Boyer does make sense as a mother

I do remember the New Amsterdam vs direct from France via England issue with the Hardin / Hardwyn's - there were more than one family with that name unfortunately. I TEND to find the Huguenots of MD / VA to be from France via England at the early dates & migrations being later but it can't be discounted.

Anyway, aside from the unlikely middle name of Wesley, I'm kind of liking this proposal:

Frances Marie Hardewyn

Frances Boyer, immigrant

Birth: 1639 - London, London, England
Parents: John Boyer (Bowyer)
Married: 1674 - Swindon, Wiltshire, England
Husband: John Wesley Hardin b 1625 Rouen, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France. Arrived 1 671 Maryland, USA
Son: Martin John Hardin (Hardewyn) 1650-1706

Links

http://www.uk.mundia.com/gb/Person/42866188/19881049788

5/16/2013 at 1:55 PM

Umm - hard to be arriving MD in 1671 and getting married in London in 1674 .... unless he was an ocean going man ...

5/16/2013 at 1:57 PM

And .. yeah, if Martin was born 1650 (do we know this for sure) there had to have been a 1st wife with Francis Boyer as the 2nd. That works.

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion