portugal jewish blood

Started by Jorge Arez da Silva on Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 30 posts
1/1/2013 at 7:09 AM

According to a 2008 study by the American Journal of Human Genetics, 19.8% of the Portuguese population has Jewish ancestry. The genetic signatures of people in the Iberian Peninsula provide new evidence that the number of Jews forced to convert to Christianity during Catholic rule in the 15th and 16th centuries was much greater than historians believed

1/1/2013 at 9:15 AM

Jorge Arez da Silva Thanks, I found the link to the original article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2668061/?tool=pmcentrez in the wikipedia reference section.
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Portugal.

Wikipedia also mentions , José_da_Silva---your ancestor?
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/António_José_da_Silva

1/1/2013 at 1:29 PM

Quite a few ended up in Jamaica, directly from Portugal, or Spain, or thru Holland and England.

1/1/2013 at 1:41 PM

hi malka ! silva are a very comun name in portugal jewish and not

i am related to Cristovão Rodrigues Marques
and of the last rabi mor de castilla coronel

1/1/2013 at 2:21 PM

Jorge Arez da Silva Regarding ''the last rabi mor de castilla coronel'' are you referring to Don Abraham SENIOR CORONEL alias: Fernando PEREZ CORONEL or Fernando NUNEZ CORONEL
Born: 14 Oct 1412 Segovia, Castile, Spain
Baptism: 15 Jun 1492 Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Spain
Occupation: Court rabbi of Castile, and royal tax-farmer-in-chief
Died: 1493/1496

*http://www.tzorafolk.com/genealogy/history/senior.htm

I just added the Senior Coronel & Saraiva Family of Segovia, Castilla y Leon, Spain to one of our Geni Projects: http://www.geni.com/projects/Important-Jewish-Family-Tree-Charts-So...

1/1/2013 at 10:00 PM

There is a Portuguese man in the very small group of Y-DNA men that my Frankel family belongs to. I don't know the explanation since the others are Polish / Lithuanian.

1/1/2013 at 10:00 PM

I do have Jewish friends in Portugal but they were refugees fleeing from France who settled in Portugal during WW II and married Portuguese natives.

1/2/2013 at 1:47 AM

I don't have any Portuguese relatives that I know of, but I'm reading _Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean_ now, and one of the things it makes clear is that there was a time when "Portuguese" was virtually synonymous with "Jewish", at least with respect to anyone that immigrated to the Caribbean and South America, so I would not be surprised at all to find a higher percentage of Conversos in Portugal than initially believed.

1/2/2013 at 4:50 AM

Dear Jorge

I have many Da Silva's in my family tree (my 13th great grandfather is from 1525). Have a look at this link:

Patriarch Da Silva

Happy new year!

Bernard Fresco
(born in Holland / living in Israel)

1/3/2013 at 2:53 AM

Fernão Perez Coronel
* Segovia, Segovia 1412 + 1493
Casamentos

N

Filhos
Constança Coronel Tomé da Veiga
João Perez Coronel Maria de Castro de Leão
Iñigo Perez Coronel Guiomar Mendez del Rio
Notas Biográficas
Regedor de Segovia
Viveu pelos anos de 1492
último Rabino-mór de Castela
Conselheiro da rainha Isabel
encarregado das finanças do país
Forçado, converteu-se ao catolicismo, adotando o nome “Fernán Núñez Coronel”, sendo batizado no Monastério de Guadalupe

1/3/2013 at 3:07 AM

i descent from this one Carlos NUNES CORONEL married
Violante ALVARES (RODRIGUES d' ELVAS e NUNES ANGEL)

1/3/2013 at 3:09 AM

if iam related to amsterdam jews look for these names , de Lemos,DE MESAS OR DE MEZAS OR SIMPLY MEZAS, MARQUES,RODRIGUES

1/3/2013 at 3:11 AM

I WILL TRY TO PUT HERE ALL DATA I HAVE COLLETED FROM THE CDROSSING OF DIFFERENT INQUISITION REPORT OF MEMEBERS OF SAME FAMILY DE LEMOS AND MESAS

1/3/2013 at 7:30 AM

You are my 17th cousin twice removed :) But if we were able to figure out the Sephardic lines, we might be closer. I have a path to Samuel ibn Naghrela (Hebrew: שמואל הלוי בן יוסף הנגיד, Sh'muel HaLevi ben Yosef HaNagid; Arabic: أبو إسحاق إسماعيل بن النغريلة‎ Abu Iṣḥāq Ismā‘īl bin an-Naghrīlah), also known as Samuel HaNagid (Hebrew: שמואל הנגיד, Shmuel HaNagid, lit. Samuel the Prince), (born 993 - died after 1056)

http://www.geni.com/path/Hatte+Anne+Blejer+Rubenstein+is+related+to...

1/4/2013 at 11:45 PM

Wendy Ann Hoechstetter I'd love to see and hear more about that book!!

1/5/2013 at 3:49 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer, Pirates of the Caribbean is indeed a very enlightening book---and it is very reasonable http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Pirates-Caribbean-Swashbuckling-Freedo...

1/6/2013 at 10:55 AM

I ordered the book yesterday.

1/6/2013 at 12:42 PM

fresco it means fresh in portuguese

Private User
2/17/2014 at 12:42 PM

Hi I am looking for a Jewish ancestor whose daughter Rose Schiller came to the US late 19th century from Austria, and was my great grandmother..
Her mother was said to have been Portuguese.

Thank you.

Lisa Reik
Israel

2/17/2014 at 2:20 PM

Hatte, can you here me cussing from where you are? I just came back from the bookstore. If I'd seen this message an hour earlier, I'd have been hunting for the Pirates book. Oh well. Next time.

I have a line of Portuguese Jews in 17th century Dublin. They appear to be connected to the Carvajal family. At least, they were wine merchants. I poke them from time to time to see if I can stir up anything new, but I've pretty much given up. It's just a fact of life that some lines will never be found.

2/17/2014 at 2:25 PM

I can hear you cussing.

2/17/2014 at 2:29 PM

Private User - do you have any other information about Rose Schiller? Have you found her naturalization or death record that might give a clue as to her mother?

Private User
2/17/2014 at 8:44 PM

Yes Hatte.
I found her in the 1910 and the 1920 US census.
I know she came as a small child to NY, probably about early 1890's from near Linz, Austria after her mother died in childbirth.

She was my great grandmother, married and divorced Marcus/Mark Weisberger in about 1902, mother of Morris/Martin Weisberger who was my mother, Elinore Weisberger Schwartz's father.

Thank you very much for any information!

Private User
6/18/2015 at 11:01 PM

I am missing some people on my mother's maternal line. My mtDNA matches me to people who have ancestors in Portuguese-speaking places and DNA testing shows that I have Iberian/Southern European DNA, along with a little bit of Jewish DNA--- and my maternal line is Catholic.

I have DNA cousins who have roots in Portuguese or Spanish-speaking cousins, and all of these cousins have found some "mystery" Jewish DNA. I am distantly related to a Brazilian family that practices Judaism. My hunch is that I have Converso ancestors.

6/27/2015 at 1:22 PM

That's very interesting Lynn. My great grandfather's Y-DNA haplogroup includes Portuguese and Brazilian m en although were Ashkenazi.

Private User
10/16/2016 at 1:32 PM

My father and I seem to belong to this group. It is really interesting and I haven't done my dad's whole tree yet.

Private User
11/18/2016 at 12:00 PM

I am supposed to be descended from the Perheiras from Portugal; my mother's paternal grandmother was Rosa Schiller from Austria, of this Perheria family.

Lisa Reik
Israel
reiklisa@gmail.com

10/10/2019 at 6:17 PM

Today The DNA tests Era is a reality and will prove it. MyHeritage has uncovered history by gens. I am brazilian and i live in Brazil sNorth some indian, black and white. All My relatives have been living here for three century at least. The point is in my genetic outcome showed i am 23% mesoandino asian, 22% of escandinavian, 20% nigerian and 14% iberian and 6.0% of "AshKenazi Jews".... by gens. Who can explain me this?

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion