Randver Radbartsson, King of Sweden - Randver Radbartsson and Vendel of Obodrite?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Thursday, December 27, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 22 posts
12/27/2012 at 11:34 PM

I see that at some point, the "birth surname" of Randver Radbartsson has been set to "Vendel of Obotrite".

Does anyone have any idea what possible association this Gardarike Viking had with what seems to be a royal title in the Slavic communities?
The "About Me" doesn't give any hints.

Private User
12/28/2012 at 4:57 AM

Hi Harald: I can not find any "Vendel of Obotrite" written in "about me - birth surname" in this profile. Maybe someone has removed this. Anyway, this term "Vendel of Obotrite" is not right for this person. Vendel of Obotrite is a another person.

Private User
12/28/2012 at 5:04 AM

If you go to Randver s profil and take a look at the change of this profils history ("endringshistorikk") one can see who has done anything with this profile. Maybe you can ask them for help in this case.

12/28/2012 at 5:10 AM
Private User
12/28/2012 at 5:45 AM

Ho hohoho hohoho ! Happy New Year !

12/28/2012 at 3:53 PM

On a 228-way merged profile, the change history is usually rubbish, unfortunately. This discussion pops up on all the 228 managers' "discussions I follow" list, if I understand it correctly. If none of them care, I feel confident in dropping the term without further comment.

12/28/2012 at 4:01 PM

Sounds fair enough..

12/28/2012 at 4:48 PM

No evidence of it, as far as I know.

12/29/2012 at 11:44 AM

In my file he is labeled "mythical".

Some notes: "iflg. FornNordiskt Lexikon er ikke Sigurd Ring Ragnars far. hvem er det da? Sigurdur Randversson, Radbartsson: Konungur Danmerkur & Svifijódar, Uppsalir Álfhildur Gangálfsdóttir, Alfhildur (Algauts-) Álfhildur Grand-Álfsdóttir. Some say his mother is Signy of Essex."

There appear to have been two kings Sigifridus and Anulo [whose name became mistranslated as "Ring" due to the similarity with Latin "anulus" ("ring")] who fought each other in 812 for the Danish throne, both of whom were killed in the struggle.
Later pseudohistorians combined these failed claimants into one person, the mythical Sigurd Ring, and turned him into a mythical conqueror of Denmark and Sweden.

So, I doubt that we have any solid evidence of anything about this person.

Regards,

Mike King

12/29/2012 at 11:59 AM

Oops. Too quick with the send button.

What I wanted to add was, given that Sigurd is mythical, his father, Randver Radbardsson is also most likely to be mythical, i.e, invented a a father of the heroic Sigurd.

Regards,

Mike King.

12/29/2012 at 4:46 PM

Why so concerned if his just mytical? Mike... In youre world Maby Cleopatra is...

Almost forgot.... All the best fr.o.m. The Nordh... And à happening new year..

12/29/2012 at 5:12 PM

Realy like IPod....but the spell help.... ( automatik).... Is noooot... Soon.... Good .. All the best and a happy new year!

/Tony

12/29/2012 at 5:13 PM

As you see.....

12/30/2012 at 1:00 AM

As you can see from the profile, this profile follows the name and descent given in the "Hyndaljod", ignoring the alternative parents for Randver given in "Hversum Noreg Byggdist" and "Hervarar saga".

I'm not too worried about doing "just pick one" when having conflicting sources like this, even when the sources are legendary - when Geni some time in the future provides a means for representing mulitple possibilities, we'll list them all.

I'm more worried about the people where we don't know where the story comes from.

1/4/2015 at 5:42 PM

This might be a good place to cut the line, with links to both alternative fathers.

1/4/2015 at 11:21 PM

It seems that the story from Hyndaljod and Sogubrot is the one with by far the most popularity, however - that's the one that's been merged hundreds of times; I have rarely, if ever, seen the Hversum line mentioned in a Geni tree.

Not a popularity contest, but one is an ancestry recitation and the other is a full-fleshed (if broken-up) saga.

I'd want to spend my cutting credits on Radbart's ancstry (Skirta, and back to the Swedish line), which I don't have a source for. The "about me" of Skirta just looks confusing.

1/4/2015 at 11:36 PM

My thinking is a bit different. If saga literature gives a genealogy, usually it is the only source we have. There is almost never a way to know if it is true or false. We have to either accept the whole thing or reject the whole thing.

However, when the sources disagree there is no reason to accept one over the other unless we can cite academic opinion.

Here, we have three different versions in four sources, and no reason to prefer any of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randver

2/7/2017 at 2:46 PM

Poor Randver På Gardarike Radbartsson, King of Sweden {fict} has over time picked up the ignoble suffix of {fict} which seems unfair considering no one else in the immediate family is so tagged.

Also the middle name of På Gardarike looks more like a suffix to me than a middle name.

Perhaps he should be more like King in Sweden Randver Radbartsson, På Gardarike?

2/7/2017 at 3:06 PM

Gardarike (where he was living according to Sogubrot and Hyndaljod) was over in the Kievan Rus area - that is, somewhere in present-day Russia.
And the alternative saga (Hervarar Saga) has him as king in Denmark.

So I don't think he gets to be king in Sweden.
But all this is according to Wikipedia only. Losing the {fict} seems like a human thing to do.

Private User
2/7/2017 at 4:08 PM

"So I don't think he gets to be king in Sweden."

At that time, Sweden did not exist, but Svitjod did, and their area have been greater and smaller from time to time. Once it was even called Svitjod the great, and at that time, Gardarike was a part to it, like some other parts in the areas with people called Rus, but that had their own Rusrike later and finally became Russia.

2/7/2017 at 4:25 PM

I've just noticed that Sigurd Ring has {fict} also in his suffix but that it is obscured by his Display name field.

If we are going to use Wiki then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_Hring is a lot more informative than Randver's own page. Amongst the various sources referred to Randver is variously a Danish, Swedish and Gardarike king.

2/7/2017 at 8:20 PM

I've been taking {fict} out of profiles when there's clearly a reasonably-ancient source cited. It adds no new information, and does not (as far as I can tell) represent a consensus among editors. Not a high priority thing, so I've left most of them alone.

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion