Mother of Ponim Meiros Eisenstadt (Dau. Shach sister (Esther? Miriam?), Hacohen) - Was this woman the Shachs sister?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
10/23/2012 at 2:39 PM

There is this famous debate about how exactly the Ponim Meirot was related to the Shach. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

In a story which I have added on as a source in the Sefer Tzdaikim (story 87), the anecdote about this woman tells is that she had to flee to Vilna and somehow ended up in the home of the Shach's parents in law and then becoming the Shach's father-in law's second wife.

This story is also mentioned in Sheficus Hanefesh from Rabbi Tzvi Hirsch Farber (Inside his book Siach Zvi) and he saw this incident in a book other than Sefer Tzdaikim but he does not say what that book is.

Private User
6/14/2019 at 10:47 AM

Hi,
Still having trouble with the relationships. If she was the Shach's step-mother-in-law, it's very hard to imagine her also being the Ponim Meirot's mother, remembering that the Ponim Meirot (born 1670) was the grandson of the sister of the Shach (born 1621).

7/19/2019 at 4:41 AM
Private User
6/29/2021 at 1:49 PM

בס"ד
לחותן הש"ך ר' שמעון בנימין וואלף טויבער ולאשתו השניה – אסתר, אחותו של הש"ך, נולדה בת, והיא היתה אמו של
הגאון הגדול בעל הפנים מאירות. דהיינו, שר' יצחק אבי ה"פנים מאירות", נשא את אחות אשתו (שהיא גם בת אחותו) של השך.

Private User
9/14/2022 at 8:48 AM

Because things are still not quite right on GENI here is a brief summary of the situation. This is a quote from the blogpost summary of Wakstein http://toladot.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post_15.html?m=1 :
"Apparently, the aforementioned Rabbi Shimon Wolf had several marriages. A] The first one's name and her father's name are unknown. From this marriage, his daughter was born - the wife of the Shach. B] The second, Mrs. Esther A.H., the sister of the Shach. From this pairing, the mother of the "bright face" was born . C] In a third marriage, he married Martha Bila AH, daughter of Rabbi Hirsch Dahliner." So according to this, Esther was the mother of the mother of Ponim Meiros.

Private User
9/14/2022 at 9:41 AM

I don't know how Rabbi Yaakov Hirsch Levenshtam, ABD Brisk & Lublin enters the picture, but perhaps he is the father of the first wife of R' Shimon Wolf mentioned above, in which case he would be the Shakh's wife's maternal grandfather.. I have no evidence of this besides the fact that somehow R' YH Levenstam has become the father of wife, Benjamin Zev Wolf Ashkenazi on Geni.

Private User
9/14/2022 at 9:42 AM

Another possibility on the spouses is that Rabbi Yaakov Hirsch Levenshtam, ABD Brisk & Lublin aka as Lubliner,,is the same as the R' Hirsh Delhiner mentioned above whose daughter was the third spouse of R' Shimon Wolf (but which did not lead to Panim Meiros, nor was married to the Shakh).

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion